OT: OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Anyone have any thoughts on Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker coming out this weekend? I loved Force Awakens, was a bit nonplussed with Last Jedi (although it didn’t get quite the strong reaction from me that it got from some), and I’m excited to see how they cap this story off.

Ive only gotten into Star Wars just before the the force awakens came out (my best friends are huge Star Wars fans) so I watched all 6 previous movies in the month leading up to it. So my opinions may very.

Original 3 are good seeing them at 30 though nothing crazy but I understand why they became a phenomenon.

prequels are hot garbage, story is meh, acting is meh. Nothing redeeming about them except the memes and jokes.

new trilogy. Force awakens was lacklustre because it was just a new hope reboot. It was shameless how much it was exactly the same.

last Jedi was alright nothing special and underwhelming. If you told this story without the Star Wars name attached it is a movie the vast majority never go see.

new one let’s see how it goes pretty low bar thus far.

rogue one is the best movie in the Star Wars universe (outside the originals and even then it might be) in my opinion. Everything was compelling and it was very well done.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
LOL.

I’m enjoying the Mandalorian as well, but I disagree on the new trilogy. I like it a lot better than the Prequels, but of course, nothing will really touch the OT for me. Although I may like Force Awakens more than Return of the Jedi.

I'll be seeing it on Friday, except to enjoy the movie overall but end up thoroughly underwhelmed with Disney's handling of it - playing hot potato with the creative decisions rather than setting and implementing the story from the start when you know it's going to be a trilogy.

Overall with Star Wars I'm more excited about the Mandalorian. For sci-fi The Expanse season 4 just came out on prime which is now the top billing for me and I binged episodes 2-9 (out of 10) in a single day. Also not sci-fi but fantasy so close enough, the Witcher is coming out on Netflix also on Friday.

So really not a lot to be upset about right now if the new Star Wars doesn't live up to your expectations.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
rogue one is the best movie in the Star Wars universe (outside the originals and even then it might be) in my opinion. Everything was compelling and it was very well done.
To basically have *ALL* the main characters die at the end. They could've taken the easy way out and given it a standard Hollywood happy ending

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
To basically have *ALL* the main characters die at the end. They could've taken the easy way out and given it a standard Hollywood happy ending

its part of what makes it so good even if you had a good idea that it would happen

Reactions: Hit the post

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I have the impression that Disney has already ruined star wars. I havent seen the last 2 movies yet however but from what I've heard and the trailers it seems like diluted money grabbing films rather than propagating the storyline.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I have the impression that Disney has already ruined star wars. I havent seen the last 2 movies yet however but from what I've heard and the trailers it seems like diluted money grabbing films rather than propagating the storyline.

I haven’t seen Rise of Skywalker yet and really want to judge that film on its own merits - but I think it’s pretty apparent that this sequel trilogy would have seriously benefitted from being mapped out from beginning to end before they released The Force Awakens.

What we are ending up with is different directors retconning and rewriting elements they liked or didn’t like from what came before, and a story that ultimately feels like it was made up as it went along...because it was.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
I haven’t seen Rise of Skywalker yet and really want to judge that film on its own merits - but I think it’s pretty apparent that this sequel trilogy would have seriously benefitted from being mapped out from beginning to end before they released The Force Awakens.

What we are ending up with is different directors retconning and rewriting elements they liked or didn’t like from what came before, and a story that ultimately feels like it was made up as it went along...because it was.

I mean the new movies are overall pretty bland so far. 7 was a direct remake of 4 with different names. 8 was forgettable. None of the characters are particularly captivating.

I mean 4-6 are loved because of when they came out they were so unique for the time that they broke barriers. The equivalent in modern times is Avatar. The original stories aren’t anything fantastic, there are some definite high points, the characters are better than current.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I’ll be moving to an area in China that is......

1) 10 minutes away from their version of Las Vegas
2) An hour away from their version of New York City (by Ferry).
3) An hour away from their version of San Francisco (by Ferry).
4) 90 minutes away from the Chinese “sister” city of Vancouver (by High Speed train).
I’m from Hong Kong and I have no idea why you would wanna move there

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’m from Hong Kong and I have no idea why you would wanna move there

For the same reasons why Tyler Myers graced us with his presence in Vancouver.

Term and money.

Lifestyle is quite slow paced and relaxed over there (relative to Beijing and Shanghai) from what I understand.

I also understand that many people in Hong Kong look down on those living in Mainland China (and more specifically, the Pearl Delta region), and so I totally get where you're coming from.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Whats your profession? If you dont mind me asking.

Business lecturer and Senior Manager. Not smart enough to be a professor and not driven enough to be a Director and beyond, and so I'm kind of a nice lower level blend if you'd like to call it that. ;)

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
For the same reasons why Tyler Myers graced us with his presence in Vancouver.

Term and money.

Lifestyle is quite slow paced and relaxed over there (relative to Beijing and Shanghai) from what I understand.

I also understand that many people in Hong Kong look down on those living in Mainland China (and more specifically, the Pearl Delta region), and so I totally get where you're coming from.
Oh don’t get me wrong I don’t look down on the people there, I look down on the communists, this board is no place for politics so I’ll let this topic end right here. Wish you all the best buddy, moving to another country is tough stuff.,

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Oh don’t get me wrong I don’t look down on the people there, I look down on the communists, this board is no place for politics so I’ll let this topic end right here. Wish you all the best buddy, moving to another country is tough stuff.,

Thanks man. My apologies for jumping too quickly to conclusions.

I'm already in China by the way. I've been here for over four years (moved in November 2015).

Reactions: RIP Botchford

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is supposed to be an 'Oli Juolevi' threat.....but the way he's plodding around the ice right now in Utica, I can understand why posters would just want to talk about anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad