OT: OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Looking at Italy’s numbers from today their mortality rate has risen to 6.6 percent. Which is alarmingly high.

say 50% of the world contracts this and the mortality rate falls somewhere between .5% and 6.6% so the extreme lows and highs.

that means somewhere between 19.25 million and 231 million people would die.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Players being held back in the arena

Gobert is an idiot for treating this as a joke and touching mics thinking he was funny

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I've never taken any issue with the notion that this could spread quickly to many people if handled poorly. I've taken issue with your garbage death rate projections based on garbage sources.

You've made an assumption that I think death rates are going to be north of 5%. I've never once claimed death rates would be that high, here, or anywhere else. I've said what is happening in Italy could happen here. You wrongly assumed that I didn't know the numbers will skew high due to who is being tested at the moment, the elderly, immuno-compromised and most symptomatic cases.

The scary part of the equation here isn't the death rate. The worry is the exponential nature of the growth curve, how long each patient is in intensive care to recover and how projections show the N. American healthcare system does not have the medical equipment, ICU space or staff to handle what is coming our way.

And that's why I've been pushing back on your notion that as long as we wash our hands and keep the elderly safe, we don't need to alter what we are doing much beyond that. None of the experts I'm following are on the same page as you. They believe that approach will lead to the needless death of countless people. They believe mass social distancing, of all ages, is the only way to move forward. And it needs to start very very soon. Each day of delay will cost many lives, due to the exponential growth rates of this virus.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
For sure NHL season is suspended. I just hope we get knocked out of a playoff spot by the jets today so we can have a shot at the lottery!

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
This all seems like an overreaction

uh, no it's not. Gobert has come into contact with any number of other players, staff, etc. Whole organizations are going to have to be tested, and if anyone else comes up positive, everyone they've come in contact with are going to have to be tested. Further travel will just spread the virus around.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
For sure NHL season is suspended. I just hope we get knocked out of a playoff spot by the jets today so we can have a shot at the lottery!

I'd rather give up a pick this year than take the chance the Canucks have to give up a lottery pick next year.. with the way the team has been playing and the cap crunch upcoming, playoffs next season should not be taken for granted.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
NBA just suspended their season.

Absolutely wild.

Predictable. NHL players will catch this virus as well. They then will need to quarantine the entire team, as well as the opponents they've played from the previous couple weeks.

As I've said from the outset, NHL playoffs look unlikely.

This will wake people up to what is actually going on now.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I'd rather give up a pick this year than take the chance the Canucks have to give up a lottery pick next year.. with the way the team has been playing and the cap crunch upcoming, playoffs next season should not be taken for granted.

Keep in mind this virus is projected to peak next winter. I wouldn't assume there will be playoffs next year either...

This is why I moved my entire investment portfolio to cash 2 weeks ago. Think of the financial repercussion's this virus will have globally.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
aUb85jc.png

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
You're going to hear of a lot of famous people, athletes and politicians testing positive over the next couple weeks. New announcements daily.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
NBA had absolutely no choice. 2 teams would need to be quarantined, plus the Raptors as well who Gobert played against last. No way to functionally keep going at that point.

Reactions: mathonwy

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder what happen to draft picks with provisions if the season is cancelled and there is no playoffs?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I wonder what happen to draft picks with provisions if the season is cancelled and there is no playoffs?

I imagine that they'd go on points percentage.. Canucks are hanging onto 8th place with the Jets playing tonight.. currently trailing Oilers 0-1 in the 2nd.

I mean this is tragic but if it leads the Canucks to giving up a 1st overall pick next season.. that's just so Canucks lolworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad