OT: OT Thread Part 8: The Home of Weird Internet Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Weird.

Biometrics and Identity Management (1000357607) - Buyandsell.gc.ca

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has an urgent need to secure the services of a global organization (the "Contractor") with knowledge of and expertise in biometrics. The Agency requires this organization to assist with the immediate establishment of an Office of Biometrics and Identity Management and to work with the Agency in researching, planning for and rapidly developing a strategy and roadmap related to the use of Digital solutions enabled by supporting technologies in biometrics, in response to the COVID 19 situation and other operational priorities. The Contractor will bring knowledge, capabilities, and experience to support CBSA’s urgent need to establish a biometric strategy, biometric foundation and ultimately a Biometrics Authority (Centre of Excellence). Specifically, the "contractor" will assist the CBSA with the development of a comprehensive approach and plan to manage, evolve and adapt in using biometrics to deliver the mission of the agency while considering our interrelationship and joint ventures with other federal government departments and agencies and our international partners.[\QUOTE]

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The mods are pretty much against any type of political discussion on here. Just look at the COVID thread and all the shutdowns.

I went back to see what could have triggered a mod to shut it down, and I really didn't see any political posts, unless a bunch were deleted. If nothing was deleted, then I think either a mod or the person reporting posts was hypersensitive.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I went back to see what could have triggered a mod to shut it down, and I really didn't see any political posts, unless a bunch were deleted. If nothing was deleted, then I think either a mod or the person reporting posts was hypersensitive.

The same mod mentioned in the past that the only thing that should be talked about is the local aspect of covid (this was a mandate from the top) which IMO is pretty hard since we have a global community on our board and there are so many layers to covid affecting damn near everything in our lives in one form or another. I have been super busy in my personal life so I haven't had the time to moderate it and keep it on track like I used to so I guess you could pin some of the blame on me.

IMO updates about Covid if it's significant can be done in this OT thread. We just can't have it overwhelm this thread leading to it getting a bunch of reports and also getting shut down. Posters here that want to continue discussing covid from the origins of the virus to what is going on in specific countries to just about everything else, there is a sub forum on HF for that COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com)

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The same mod mentioned in the past that the only thing that should be talked about is the local aspect of covid (this was a mandate from the top) which IMO is pretty hard since we have a global community on our board and there are so many layers to covid affecting damn near everything in our lives in one form or another. I have been super busy in my personal life so I haven't had the time to moderate it and keep it on track like I used to so I guess you could pin some of the blame on me.

IMO updates about Covid if it's significant can be done in this OT thread. We just can't have it overwhelm this thread leading to it getting a bunch of reports and also getting shut down. Posters here want to continue discussing covid from the origins of the virus to what is going on in specific countries to just about everything else there is a sub forum on HF for that COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com)

Thanks Bryan, then I’ll post any local updates, etc here. Rather not jam up this thread, but so be it. I follow the Covid thread pretty closely, and thought the discussion was pretty tame the last few threads.. I get that it is the right of each poster to report a post they deem to be offensive, but anyone who posts regularly in that thread knows that at times things get a little heated, much like every other thread, but it always cools down. And we all knew that the next person that reported a post, that the thread would likely be shut down. So it’s disappointing to me that that person didn’t just leave the thread for a bit if he found it offensive, as he knew that reporting was going to be the end of it. Sounds like that was perhaps his goal, so bravo I guess. Too bad, as we had a good group of posters in there who shared a lot of important info, opinions, humour, etc and it had a sense of community to it, at a time when we really needed that. We had our share of extreme posts, but that’s normal for any thread. Just wish the global mods restricted posters who were deemed to be offensive, and not close down the whole thread. And I realize their time is valuable and limited, but I think the constant reporting on the threads was agenda driven, and someone who wasn’t a regular contributor is happy today that the thread is shut down.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks Bryan, then I’ll post any local updates, etc here. Rather not jam up this thread, but so be it. I follow the Covid thread pretty closely, and thought the discussion was pretty tame the last few threads.. I get that it is the right of each poster to report a post they deem to be offensive, but anyone who posts regularly in that thread knows that at times things get a little heated, much like every other thread, but it always cools down. And we all knew that the next person that reported a post, that the thread would likely be shut down. So it’s disappointing to me that that person didn’t just leave the thread for a bit if he found it offensive, as he knew that reporting was going to be the end of it. Sounds like that was perhaps his goal, so bravo I guess. Too bad, as we had a good group of posters in there who shared a lot of important info, opinions, humour, etc and it had a sense of community to it, at a time when we really needed that. We had our share of extreme posts, but that’s normal for any thread. Just wish the global mods restricted posters who were deemed to be offensive, and not close down the whole thread. And I realize their time is valuable and limited, but I think the constant reporting on the threads was agenda driven, and someone who wasn’t a regular contributor is happy today that the thread is shut down.

I have been so busy that I am not sure that it was due to a reported post or posts or the global just checking in to see how things were going, at this point it doesn't matter so I didn't waste my time to see what put the final nail in the coffin. It is no secret that there were a number of posters that wanted that thread shut down and maybe some mods did too. I have always been of the mindset to allow people to voice their opinions and have a right to speak their minds and then let others decide what makes sense or what maybe seen as batshit crazy. However rules are rules and it is what it is. Overall it was something that kept this board alive and many of us in contact during some of the toughest times of our lives collectively so IMO it was well worth the BS to keep it going.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I have been so busy that I am not sure that it was due to a reported post or posts or the global just checking in to see how things were going, at this point it doesn't matter so I didn't waste my time to see what put the final nail in the coffin. It is no secret that there were a number of posters that wanted that thread shut down and maybe some mods did too. I have always been of the mindset to allow people to voice their opinions and have a right to speak their minds and then let others decide what makes sense or what maybe seen as batshit crazy. However rules are rules and it is what it is. Overall it was something that kept this board alive and many of us in contact during some of the toughest times of our lives collectively so IMO it was well worth the BS to keep it going.

Well said, and thank you for constantly having our backs. ;)

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
So I drove by one hell of an accident scene not too long ago on hwy 16 in Saskatchewan.

At Insinger I saw the aftermath of a grainhauler B-train losing a race with a freight train, and let me tell you folks, as ugly as it was to look at and drive by, that driver is super super lucky.

The train engine hit and sliced through the front trailer, and it was obvious the train just barely missed hitting the actual truck in any sort of way.

Stay safe around trains people, don't try to race an oncoming train when you see one comings

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So I drove by one hell of an accident scene not too long ago on hwy 16 in Saskatchewan.

At Insinger I saw the aftermath of a grainhauler B-train losing a race with a freight train, and let me tell you folks, as ugly as it was to look at and drive by, that driver is super super lucky.

The train engine hit and sliced through the front trailer, and it was obvious the train just barely missed hitting the actual truck in any sort of way.

Stay safe around trains people, don't try to race an oncoming train when you see one comings
I have a friend that used to be an engineer, and he had some pretty horrific stories about accidents. And the train invariably won.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It was a therapy-thread for me March-May last year, horrible times, but the threads on this board helped me through it. And that is not a joke. I've been appreciating it ever since, despite the various disagreements.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks again for keeping these open, and all the work you did. Looks like we all got through the worst of the pandemic and its been good to be able to share our stories, views, information etc during this challenging time. I think for several of us this allowed some bonding around difficult issues. Thanks to all that have been here sharing, supporting, keeping in contact.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Tried looking for a news story about this. Nothing.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Can you guys try not to close this down, I like to shit post in OT.

Lots of people post shit. I'd really hate to see how one shit posts.

1000_F_199150773_nPWKz0aJqD1qjBP4ORN9MKmH9vaNWwPA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad