OT: OT Thread Part 8: The Home of Weird Internet Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I remember when Canmore was small and there would be maybe half a dozen people on the Grassi Lakes hike. Been awhile I guess.

Years past I would go there and wonder why more people didn't go. Looks like its been found. heh. I don't have instagram so I don't always know which places have specious photo fame.

Pisses me off though that Moraine lake rockpile is one. That instagram appeal wrecks the whole access for people there to get on the many other hikes in the reason. Sentinel pass, Eiffel Lakes/Wenkchemna pass. Those are nice hikes. But hard to do now because of all the people hoarding into area starting at 5am just to get on top of the rockpile.

I avoid any place that I have to take a park and ride shuttle to a hike. ;). Beautiful area, but I’ve avoided it for years. Not the hiking experience I’m looking for. I don’t have Instagram either, but a quick chat with the locals, and you know which hikes to avoid. Or just go on AllTrails during peak and read the reviews, always very helpful. Canmore area is so beautiful, would love to retire there. Heading up there again next week.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I avoid any place that I have to take a park and ride shuttle to a hike. ;). Beautiful area, but I’ve avoided it for years. Not the hiking experience I’m looking for. I don’t have Instagram either, but a quick chat with the locals, and you know which hikes to avoid. Or just go on AllTrails during peak and read the reviews, always very helpful. Canmore area is so beautiful, would love to retire there. Heading up there again next week.
I like a variety of hikes but we're getting older now and so the wife and I don't mind being on hikes where other people are around, which is helpful in the case of injury, bear situation, etc, on a trail.

In anycase go 1mile away from Lake Louise or Moraine lake car parks and the crowds dissipate quickly, particularly at Moraine lake. Lots of people hike Larch Valley, and even Sentinel pass, but last time we went few were headed out to Wenkchemna. used to be the same at Lake Louise as many people would do the beehives but less would go the glacier trail or the interesting glacier loop trail to the top of the big beehive and down. (theres a quick way down we don't use...);)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I like a variety of hikes but we're getting older now and so the wife and I don't mind being on hikes where other people are around, which is helpful in the case of injury, bear situation, etc, on a trail.

In anycase go 1mile away from Lake Louise or Moraine lake car parks and the crowds dissipate quickly, particularly at Moraine lake. Lots of people hike Larch Valley, and even Sentinel pass, but last time we went few were headed out to Wenkchemna. used to be the same at Lake Louise as many people would do the beehives but less would go the glacier trail or the interesting glacier loop trail to the top of the big beehive and down. (theres a quick way down we don't use...);)

I hear you on the getting older part. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m 60 now and not 20, and the hikes I used to do are too hard on my knees and back. When it’s my son and I, we are a bit more adventurous, as we both have the off the beaten track mindset, and don’t mind exploring, and seeing where it takes us. When I go with my wife, she’s not a fan of bears, so she prefers trails with a few more people on them, as she feels safer. I’m also finally becoming more of a journey than a destination person, although it’s been a slow process. Have always wanted to beat my previous best time on hikes, but have realized that’s not happening anymore, so the competitive part is dissipating, which is a good thing.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

Rode up to Moraine Lake about a week ago before the road opened to traffic and was surprised to see so many families and bikes up there. Probably close to 100, but it was a beautiful day and a pretty top notch ride.

I've always liked hiking in the Nordegg/Abraham Lake area as well but it seems that it has been getting a lot busier in recent years. Same for the Crowsnest Pass/Waterton area. If in Banff I'm usually staying in Canmore to avoid the business of Banff or staying at the hostels along Highway 93. Spending a few days hiking/cycling along the parkway is always nice and quiet.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I hear you on the getting older part. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m 60 now and not 20, and the hikes I used to do are too hard on my knees and back. When it’s my son and I, we are a bit more adventurous, as we both have the off the beaten track mindset, and don’t mind exploring, and seeing where it takes us. When I go with my wife, she’s not a fan of bears, so she prefers trails with a few more people on them, as she feels safer. I’m also finally becoming more of a journey than a destination person, although it’s been a slow process. Have always wanted to beat my previous best time on hikes, but have realized that’s not happening anymore, so the competitive part is dissipating, which is a good thing.

Are you using walking poles yet? Get a good pair and they relieve some of the knee, back pain etc and distribute weight and get whole body involved. Its better, especially if packing a few more lbs than you're used to, heh. The wife and I both like our poles..

My big hiking days are over. My knee injuries started at age 18 (hockey) and so I'm good to have rehabbed the old joints as much as I have and keep them going. Arthritis like crazy by now. Its worse because I can't cycle now until I get an operation. That for me is something that helps my knees (not that way for everybody) I have to strictly stand up pedal now. That gets old quick..

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Are you using walking poles yet? Get a good pair and they relieve some of the knee, back pain etc and distribute weight and get whole body involved. Its better, especially if packing a few more lbs than you're used to, heh. The wife and I both like our poles..

My big hiking days are over. My knee injuries started at age 18 (hockey) and so I'm good to have rehabbed the old joints as much as I have and keep them going. Arthritis like crazy by now. Its worse because I can't cycle now until I get an operation. That for me is something that helps my knees (not that way for everybody) I have to strictly stand up pedal now. That gets old quick..

Hopefully you get your surgery soon, I know you've been waiting a long time for it. That's gotta be tough. We have a bunch of walking poles around, but I've never used them. Probably one of those vanity things, as I don't want to be seen as an old fart on the trails. ;) But it's a good suggestion, maybe I'll give them a try this summer.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

And this comes on right when I'm in my backswing on the teebox. Scared the crap out of me, like they always do.
Golfing at Trestle Creek on our resort, which is in the Parkland area. We had a brief discussion, and decided if anyone came at us, we were drunk and armed with golf clubs. Besides, we've aready come up against scary assailants - our wives.

Seriously though, glad they caught them and ended the threat.

Reactions: oilers'72

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm still kind of worn out at times. The past couple of days were bad because of the heat. I was scaping by on food for a while because of moving and bills. Got a backpay of $1012 this month from CPP Disability, so I should be ahead for a long while.

I was just thinking about how weak my legs are these days. It was only 3 years ago, when I was working at a temp job. I was pretty much sent to the Coronation dump and to collect loose plastic bags and stuff. There's a berm around the pit and one had to climb up a moderate incline. My legs never got tired and I climb and walk down with little problem, all due to the steepness. Had to quit because my feet were bigger than the work boots. Today, I can barely make it up one flight of stairs.

Your tough pal. U have my respect

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Glad I didn't pay money for Mayweather vs Paul. Went about how you'd expect; Paul couldn't hit him at all and Mayweather kind of just toyed with him for 8 rounds.

Mayweather nearly knocked him out in round 3, then he let off the gas quite a bit.

Can't say I blame Mayweather, be pretty slick to make 80 million to spar with a guy for half an hour.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I really miss going to some of the Trappers games. They had the absolute best promos. Usually turned out to be a great night of ball, sunshine, hotdogs, beer and a concert!

I am fairly certain it's not a false memory and that I watched the Beach Boys with John Stamos at a Trappers game once. Anyone else remember that?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I am fairly certain it's not a false memory and that I watched the Beach Boys with John Stamos at a Trappers game once. Anyone else remember that?
I wasn't at that one, but we saw The Turtles, Big & Rich, and the best was Ricky Van Shelton (unbelievably good,and I was pleasantly surprised). Great memories.

Reactions: oilers'72

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Photo of the fire pit from my camping trip this last weekend @ Cross lake campground in Flatbush AB.
93205619-0ED8-44ED-AEA4-815D63CC26F1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad