OT: OT Thread Part 6: still got a new name faster than Seattle's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Might get one pot hole filled in that time frame here.

My dads constant comment here was how long any of this kind of bridge building or underpass or road construction took here. He lived here over 50yrs and its still something he couldn't understand relative to how fast road/bridge construction was in Germany. They'd basically put a bridge or overpass up in 1-2 days. We have more equipment now, heavier equipment, and we spend years doing the same thing. I've yet to hear explanations on the engineering and road construction differences here vs Europe.

Are the day to year differentials we see here vs Europe based on creating longer term employment? One wonders.

The Whitemud freeway for instance has been impacted at 66th street LRT overpass now for almost 5yrs. I mean its just insane how long things like this take here. Several years just to build an overpass in preformed concrete segments.

meanwhile the LRT isn't closed to being finished even though its supposed to be done now as per original timelines. It won't be completed for at least another year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
My dads constant comment here was how long any of this kind of bridge building or underpass or road construction took here. He lived here over 50yrs and its still something he couldn't understand relative to how fast road/bridge construction was in Germany. They'd basically put a bridge or overpass up in 1-2 days. We have more equipment now, heavier equipment, and we spend years doing the same thing. I've yet to hear explanations on the engineering and road construction differences here vs Europe.

Are the day to year differentials we see here vs Europe based on creating longer term employment? One wonders.

The Whitemud freeway for instance has been impacted at 66th street LRT overpass now for almost 5yrs. I mean its just insane how long things like this take here. Several years just to build an overpass in preformed concrete segments.

meanwhile the LRT isn't closed to being finished even though its supposed to be done now as per original timelines. It won't be completed for at least another year.

Also the projects are of poor quality and require more work down the road when issues arise.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

I get the vibe that it is for creating jobs and employing people long term..
I would prefer the work get done quickly, then hire contractors to restore/refurbish buildings to be used for social support

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm puzzled as to why political talk isn't allowed in this OT thread. It tends to creep into other threads, so why not offer an outlet?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm puzzled as to why political talk isn't allowed in this OT thread. It tends to creep into other threads, so why not offer an outlet?

Because people would hate each other. Religion and politics are verboten pretty much on all forums.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Because people would hate each other. Religion and politics are verboten pretty much on all forums.

Yeah but they creep into other threads all the time and make life hell for the mods. Might as well have a Thunderdome where that stuff can be contained.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Good question. Are there unions in Europe? :sarcasm: All joking aside, I wonder if some of it has to do with added liability laws here or different types of soil for compaction? It is a massive joke here as well mind you we have some of the toughest rock in the world in some areas. One project actually finished way ahead of schedule (a roundabout) hardly the norm.

It would take 2 years, be over budget by $35 million, and not work right if that was done in Edmonton.

Look up the massively overbudget cluster that is the Honolulu rail if any of you want a hearty laugh.

Yeah but they creep into other threads all the time and make life hell for the mods. Might as well have a Thunderdome where that stuff can be contained.

Political talk is not encouraged on HF, I tend to be a little lenient at times but overall it is frowned upon.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

There used to be a Politics subforum IIRC but it was deleted / deactivated. That said, HF seems to allow more of it than a lot of other places, at least from what I've seen.

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I’ve been on a forum regularly (not a hockey forum) that had an anything goes political section. It made people hate each other, a lot of people left the forum and the forum became a giant echo chamber for a certain group of people because the other group of people left and started their own forum. Didn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad