OT: OT Thread Part 6: still got a new name faster than Seattle's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
Looking for opinions from people more tech savy than I. I am looking to get a gaming pc. About one month ago if you put a gun to my head and told me to name one gpu, I would be giving my last words. Im not looking for anything crazy, preferable budget around $1000 give or take. The past month past month Ive been reading and watching videos to get an idea of what is needed to run most modern games comfortably.

I narrowed down my search to two options, theres a pretty significant price difference though.
Are you a human? (edit: not sure why the link is asking if human lol)

IdeaCentre T540 | Family & Gaming Computer | Lenovo Canada

Clearly the ABS has the edge for performance, the cpu and gpu are better but not substantially so.

They both need more storage but I have another SDD already. I have a 1tb SSD so storage isn't the biggest factor but the ABS has double the SSD space of the Lenovo.

They both have 16gb ram but the ABS has dual channel, Lenovo single.

ABS has 600w power supply, Lenovo 310.

The ABS has advantages in most aspects now and has likely more potential for future upgrades but with a 5% discount code I found for Lenovo, the final price difference is $371. Are the advantages in the ABS worth the extra cost?

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Looking for opinions from people more tech savy than I. I am looking to get a gaming pc. About one month ago if you put a gun to my head and told me to name one gpu, I would be giving my last words. Im not looking for anything crazy, preferable budget around $1000 give or take. The past month past month Ive been reading and watching videos to get an idea of what is needed to run most modern games comfortably.

I narrowed down my search to two options, theres a pretty significant price difference though.
Are you a human? (edit: not sure why the link is asking if human lol)

IdeaCentre T540 | Family & Gaming Computer | Lenovo Canada

Clearly the ABS has the edge for performance, the cpu and gpu are better but not substantially so.

They both need more storage but I have another SDD already. I have a 1tb SSD so storage isn't the biggest factor but the ABS has double the SSD space of the Lenovo.

They both have 16gb ram but the ABS has dual channel, Lenovo single.

ABS has 600w power supply, Lenovo 310.

The ABS has advantages in most aspects now and has likely more potential for future upgrades but with a 5% discount code I found for Lenovo, the final price difference is $371. Are the advantages in the ABS worth the extra cost?

It would be a mistake to go with a prebuilt right at this moment for a gaming desktop.

Nvidia launched their 30-series cards in September and AMD is launching their big Navi cards tomorrow. This is a huge generational jump that offers WAY more price-to-power ratio while being MUCH more future proof (it will not only net you immediate performance, it will prevent your PC from struggling with games in ~2 years).

I don't know where you are but if you're in a Canadian market, I recommend MemoryExpress. You can put together your own build and they will assemble it and ship it to you if you're nervous to put it together yourself. I very quickly threw up this mock factoring in you already have an SSD you can use, and left the video-card blank (I would recommend, for your budget, the upcoming 3060 TI, which will be a MUCH better card than either of the ones in those prebuilts and cost about $600 CAD)

Screenshot-2020-11-17-System-Configurator-Memory-Express-Inc.png

It will be VERY easy to put together a PC that gives you way more gaming performance than either of those prebuilts, that will last much longer, at a very similar budget. This haphazardly put together build runs about $1300+tax with the 3060 TI factored in and dumpsters all over that 1200 prebuilt you linked to.

There are ways to shave budget on that, too.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Reactions: bellagiobob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Does it make your whole block smell like KFC just like a real restaurant.

Somebody I know lives just near a KFC. Its all you can smell almost all of the time. After a while its gross. Their whole home smells like KFC, their clothes do, every time they go to work people think they have chicken in their pockets, dogs chase them down the sidewalk, ridiculous. I mean just walk by one of these KFC's you smell them a block away. Especially not great on hot muggy days. Smells like rot.

jk aside I'd caution anybody on using much of this compressed log type nonsense. Stick to real wood, get your chimney cleaned once in awhile.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Somebody I know lives just near a KFC. Its all you can smell almost all of the time. After a while its gross. Their whole home smells like KFC, their clothes do, every time they go to work people think they have chicken in their pockets, dogs chase them down the sidewalk, ridiculous. I mean just walk by one of these KFC's you smell them a block away. Especially not great on hot muggy days. Smells like rot.

jk aside I'd caution anybody on using much of this compressed log type nonsense. Stick to real wood, get your chimney cleaned once in awhile.

I'm just visualizing this and having a good laugh. Back when I was a kid, our bi-monthly venture to pick up KFC was quite a treat. Now I gag just thinking about the smell. As a kid I wouldn't eat chicken if it didn't have skin on it, preferably battered. Fast forward a few decades, and I gaze in horror if even offered a piece with skin on it. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm just visualizing this and having a good laugh. Back when I was a kid, our bi-monthly venture to pick up KFC was quite a treat. Now I gag just thinking about the smell. As a kid I wouldn't eat chicken if it didn't have skin on it, preferably battered. Fast forward a few decades, and I gaze in horror if even offered a piece with skin on it. ;)

I'm a generally healthy eater and I almost shudder driving or walking past the local KFC which is so close I could walk to it. I mean ironically its the closest fast food place to us, other than some Indian takes outs, and as an adult I would never set foot in there.

I say Ironic because so many people still love KFC and they wish there was one of these closer. Funny thing is even growing up, In Jasper Place, we were real close to a KFC, my whole life haha, and there really aren't all that many of them. WE been in same house for over 30yrs and the KFC has been there the whole time. I never ordered from it, the wife occasionally picks up some fries or a one meal.

Reactions: bellagiobob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad