OT: OT Thread Part 6: still got a new name faster than Seattle's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Conservative leadership race is a mess, but I hope Lewis wins as I think she stands the best chance at reforming the Conservative party.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly the CPC can’t get out of its own way enough. Even with three scandals handed to them on a platter they find a way to mess up this leadership race.

MacKay could be PM, Lewis could be PM. There is no chance of O’Toole becoming PM. Just keep picking the most socially conservative candidate and keep losing Ontario, sounds like a plan.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Honestly the CPC can’t get out of its own way enough. Even with three scandals handed to them on a platter they find a way to mess up this leadership race.

MacKay could be PM, Lewis could be PM. There is no chance of O’Toole becoming PM. Just keep picking the most socially conservative candidate and keep losing Ontario, sounds like a plan.

They were done when Poilievre and Ambrose both declined. So sad that they have a golden opportunity basically handed to them, and like you say, they drop the ball. Jr can keep screwing up over and over again, and it won't matter. Such a dark period in Cdn politics. As the song goes, Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They were done when Poilievre and Ambrose both declined. So sad that they have a golden opportunity basically handed to them, and like you say, they drop the ball. Jr can keep screwing up over and over again, and it won't matter. Such a dark period in Cdn politics. As the song goes, Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right.

Poilievre would've been iffy too IMO. The Conservatives need someone who is fiscally conservative and socially centrist (or at least socially pragmatic). They need to turn centrist voters away from the Liberal party.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Poilievre would've been iffy too IMO. The Conservatives need someone who is fiscally conservative and socially centrist (or at least socially pragmatic). They need to turn centrist voters away from the Liberal party.

I just vote for Alice Cooper's Wild Party and leave it at that.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

F049C5EE-1DD4-41F7-8AB7-862EB9BBE6FB.gif

IVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS.

McKay was probably as close as you can get, but he’s proven himself to be not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. Helicopters. Muskoka. Blargh.

I’ve been an avid supporter of the CPC for as long as I’ve been able to vote, but just as I left the UCP/PCs when Kenney was chosen, I’m leaving the CPC in the same manner. I refuse to support a guy that on a foundational level is basically Maple-Flavoured Trump.

I think the problem with the CPC is that their party members are too old and too conservative to recognize the way the ideological winds have shifted in this country. When I was a member, I was shocked at conventions and meet ups that I was nearly always the youngest person in the room. The CPC has failed to reach out and gain support from adults 18-25 and they’re gonna pay for it.

At this point, a new right-centre party needs to be created. I’m sure a lot of the Red Tories in the CPC caucus is as upset of where the party is heading as I am.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I worked on O'Toole's campaign, so I'm really excited right now for the future of the party and the country.

Well if you want a look into the future if he’s elected (which he won’t be, I guarantee it) just look to the south.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
View attachment 363632

IVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS.

McKay was probably as close as you can get, but he’s proven himself to be not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. Helicopters. Muskoka. Blargh.

I’ve been an avid supporter of the CPC for as long as I’ve been able to vote, but just as I left the UCP/PCs when Kenney was chosen, I’m leaving the CPC in the same manner. I refuse to support a guy that on a foundational level is basically Maple-Flavoured Trump.

I think the problem with the CPC is that their party members are too old and too conservative to recognize the way the ideological winds have shifted in this country. When I was a member, I was shocked at conventions and meet ups that I was nearly always the youngest person in the room. The CPC has failed to reach out and gain support from adults 18-25 and they’re gonna pay for it.

At this point, a new right-centre party needs to be created. I’m sure a lot of the Red Tories in the CPC caucus is as upset of where the party is heading as I am.

To be fair, I’m doing some more reading into O’Toole’s policies and he’s more socially centrist than I initially thought.

MacKay would’ve probably been the smarter choice overall though given his ability to draw broad appeal across the country.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
To be fair, I’m doing some more reading into O’Toole’s policies and he’s more socially centrist than I initially thought.

MacKay would’ve probably been the smarter choice overall though given his ability to draw broad appeal across the country.

Eh we’ll see where it goes.

From what I know of CPC leaders, the mandate they take during leadership conventions often changes by the time that the writ is dropped.

My issue is he’s too much on both sides right now, eventually he’s gonna have to choose what he’s going to campaign on. I don’t have a lot of faith that a guy who went after McKay for being too progressive and ran on a slogan of “Take Canada Back” is going to choose the more liberal stance.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Eh we’ll see where it goes.

From what I know of CPC leaders, the mandate they take during leadership conventions often changes by the time that the writ is dropped.

My issue is he’s too much on both sides right now, eventually he’s gonna have to choose what he’s going to campaign on. I don’t have a lot of faith that a guy who went after McKay for being too progressive and ran on a slogan of “Take Canada Back” is going to choose the more liberal stance.

I hope he does, because I’ve been waiting for a fiscal conservative/social moderate candidate for ages. They’d pretty much get my vote without campaigning.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He has been more socially centrist for the most part however, he has said a lot to the socially conservatives where I feel like he may do some shit just to get votes.
After watching what Kenney has been doing here, and him endorsing O'Toole, that makes me question his fiscal abilities too.
Maybe he will surprise.
I do know that I hate this modern "Pander pander pander, I'm not this guy, we must defeat our enemies"
They spend so much time saying how they aren't the other guy but spend so little telling me what they are all about.

I wish I had faith in the Conservative parties in Canada. I used to have faith that while a little backwards socially, their fiscal ability could at least make up for it and once they are in power they were too scared to do any dumb shit socially cause they didn't want to lose Ontario. That said modern conservatives seem to be swinging hard to the right socially while being terribly fiscally too.

It's draining trying to care about politics in Canada as they are all too flawed to really cheer for. I've kind of settled in the idea that no matter who is in charge, they are going to suck for the economy overall so now I just vote on social issues cause that seems to be the only place where the actually differ. And I hate it.

Reactions: Cloned

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He has been more socially centrist for the most part however, he has said a lot to the socially conservatives where I feel like he may do some shit just to get votes.
After watching what Kenney has been doing here, and him endorsing O'Toole, that makes me question his fiscal abilities too.
Maybe he will surprise.
I do know that I hate this modern "Pander pander pander, I'm not this guy, we must defeat our enemies"
They spend so much time saying how they aren't the other guy but spend so little telling me what they are all about.

I wish I had faith in the Conservative parties in Canada. I used to have faith that while a little backwards socially, their fiscal ability could at least make up for it and once they are in power they were too scared to do any dumb shit socially cause they didn't want to lose Ontario. That said modern conservatives seem to be swinging hard to the right socially while being terribly fiscally too.

It's draining trying to care about politics in Canada as they are all too flawed to really cheer for. I've kind of settled in the idea that no matter who is in charge, they are going to suck for the economy overall so now I just vote on social issues cause that seems to be the only place where the actually differ. And I hate it.

I told myself I would never be one of those people, but as of right now I’m not sure I would even vote. No credible options. Very depressing.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I told myself I would never be one of those people, but as of right now I’m not sure I would even vote. No credible options. Very depressing.
I will always vote.
I used to vote for the person I wanted. Now I vote for the person who will hurt the least amount of people. Which pains me as well.
I'd love to want to vote for the Liberals, I really wish Trudeau would just step down as I honestly believe there are people in the party that are actually not dumb shits that could win the leadership election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad