Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Great to see all these Nations work together and these sanctions working and crushing the Russian economy (i do feel horrible for the innocent people in Russia going through this though). My question is would similar sanctions and actions work against China if say they decided to invade Taiwan?

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I hope there is a bridge that Ukraine can blowup.

I hope there are UkAF Su-24's and 25's still operable. That is a target worthy of an airstrike or two.

As for a bridge this is on the east side of the major river that runs through Kyiv. It looks like they are trying a mass encirclement with that many troops. I don't think they are stupid enough to try to take a major and well defended city like Kyiv by assault. Those tanks and troops would be chewed up in no time in that maze of streets, alleys, sewers and hi-rises.

Encircle, then bombard and starve until the defenders capitulate. That is what the Russians and Chechens have been trying to do now since the airborne drop and reinforcement failed. Now the Byelorussians are getting involved, they are reinforcing the Kyiv front as Putin already has 75% of the forces deployed already engaged and it is only a few days in.

Oh and Putin is calling in the Strategic Bomber forces to hit western Ukraine and the aid coming in from the west. Lets hope the Strategic Bombers (Tu-95 and Tu-160's) are carrying conventional weapons.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Great to see all these Nations work together and these sanctions working and crushing the Russian economy (i do feel horrible for the innocent people in Russia going through this though). My question is would similar sanctions and actions work against China if say they decided to invade Taiwan?

China is a different beast entirely. Russia, despite its bluster and nuclear weapons, has an economy smaller than Canada. China's economy, on the other hand, is incorporated into basically everything. It would be like trying to sanction the US to the degree that would stop them from carrying out a critical policy decision--it would basically cripple the world economy, and even then, the US probably would continue implementing its decision. There are other reasons too, but that would require writing a mini-essay. But I would just say that, despite Putin's criminal organization claiming to be anti-West, experiencing all the trappings of Western wealth is basically their reason to exist, so cutting them off from their assets in places like France, the UK, New York, etc, etc, is actually a pretty big deal.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
China is a different beast entirely. Russia, despite its bluster and nuclear weapons, has an economy smaller than Canada. China's economy, on the other hand, is incorporated into basically everything. It would be like trying to sanction the US to the degree that would stop them from carrying out a critical policy decision--it would basically cripple the world economy, and even then, the US probably would continue implementing its decision. There are other reasons too, but that would require writing a mini-essay. But I would just say that, despite Putin's criminal organization claiming to be anti-West, experiencing all the trappings of Western wealth is basically their reason to exist, so cutting them off from their assets in places like France, the UK, New York, etc, etc, is actually a pretty big deal.
Yah I'm quite fearful of the consequences of a China invasion on Taiwan and what that might mean if the West got involved.. as China is on a whole different level than Russia. Like you said, sanctioning China wouldn't be like sanctioning Russia... and I'm also not sure if the people of Taiwan would have the same courage and determination as the Ukranians do right now fighting for their country. I hope China does see how the whole world is stepping up together for Ukraine here and it makes them think if something similar would happen and the whole world would be against them too if they invaded Taiwan.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

It was rich seeing his newscast host on state television whining about losing his two Italian villas this weekend.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Not the biggest Trudeau fan on the planet but I have to say I admire what he has done so far and how he led the charge in the West to remove Russia from SWIFT.

Also maybe Quebec wants that pipeline now...

Edit - Canada the first country to do so! Along with SWIFT we lead the way!

Last edited:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I’m watching “Falling Down” on Netflix. Forgot how over the top everything is. Leaves his car in traffic. Goes and f***s up a corner store, gets involved with a gang shooting. There is a cop on his last day ever is somehow connected to everything.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m watching “Falling Down” on Netflix. Forgot how over the top everything is. Leaves his car in traffic. Goes and f***s up a corner store, gets involved with a gang shooting. There is a cop on his last day ever is somehow connected to everything.

A classic. Well acted. Like watching it even more on our 10ft screen. I'm revisiting some movies that way. Platoon was another. The big screen projection just kind of immerses you more into movies that establish locations really well and that are filmed to be first person type experiences where you essentially feel like you're in the film.

Only drawback is the resolution of some of the older movies is a bit disappointing.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
A classic. Well acted. Like watching it even more on our 10ft screen. I'm revisiting some movies that way. Platoon was another. The big screen projection just kind of immerses you more into movies that establish locations really well and that are filmed to be first person type experiences where you essentially feel like you're in the film.

Only drawback is the resolution of some of the older movies is a bit disappointing.
Love the acting. The scene where he is in the surplus store.. and the kid helping him with the launcher lol

Nick: [after Foster calls him "a sick asshole" for being a Nazi] f*** you! Who the f*** are you? Are you f***ing with me?
Bill Foster: I AM JUST DISAGREEING WITH YOU! In America, we have the freedom of speech! The right to disagree!

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just a PSA for those who may not be aware:

The province's mask mandate ends tomorrow. The city of Edmonton's bylaw does not. In the city of Edmonton, masks are still required indoors. City council will meet on March 8th to discuss the mandate as it stands. Whether you follow those bylaws or not is of course up to you.

Mods, I certainly don't want to break any rules or go off-topic. No intended debate, just providing the info incase people aren't aware.

Stay safe everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot