OT: Thinking of moving to Philly

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
youre paying for location. all of the good location spots in the city are going to be more expensive. you are living in a up and coming neighborhood with popular nightlife. it isnt all as hipster as youre making it out to be, and its not like they are thugs and criminals..so to me its not bothersome. it seems like OP is looking for good city life and to be near the 'happening' YP areas. if thats the case, then rittenhouse nolibs or old city /thread

I think Fairmount is far more happening than NoLibs. For the Piazza though, the building is subpar, management company sucks, and you can easily find a nicer place 1 block away that has the same access is all I am saying.

But I still vote for Fairmount, I have a party bar, dive bar, a handful of amazing restaurants and two world class beer stores in terms of selection, all within less than 5 blocks walk. All NoLibs really has is the Piazza, and while I do enjoy PYT's burgers, I think the quality of nightlife is far better in Fairmount.

SilkyMitts

Apr 29, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
personally i disagree about fairmount being more happening than NoLibs, but to each their own. each section of the city has its positives that cater to each person, which makes it a great city to live in.

bababooey18

Jan 21, 2013
I'm moving back to the Yunk in about 6 months (work there 3 days every 2 weeks, the rest of the time i'm remote down in DC). Good area, still a Philly address, easy to get out (west) of the city. You'll find more college kids than professionals, but if you can handle that it's a nice place to be. If you are a little more off main street (west of leverington), you'll likely be around more family than college kids.

Personally, I'd stay out of NoLib, especially if you have a girl coming with you. I think the area is pretty underrated as far as danger.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
So I visited the city this weekend and I really loved it. My friend who I stayed with lives in Manayunk. It's nice there, but it seems a little too young, too quiet, and too far from the city for me. If I'm going to get season tickets, I'd rather just take the subway down Broad St. instead of having to take a cab or the train in first. I didn't care for Northern Liberties. Fairmount looked nice but it didn't really seem like there was a ton of things to do there. Maybe I just didn't see the different bars and restaurants there. I absolutely loved Old City but my friend told me that it's very young there. Center City was awesome too as well as Rittenhouse and Washington Square. The Headhouse was really nice too but was far from transportation. If I had a choice, I think I'd live in Old City, Center City, Rittenhouse, or Washington Square. If you'd like to, I would appreciate any feedback about those areas. Thank you.

The bars/restaurants/attractions I visited were Kildare's in Manayunk, Xfinity Live (awesome), Frankford Hall, some popular late night diner in Center City (I can't remember the name), Reading Terminal, Independence Mall, City Hall, The Convention Center, Comcast Center, Triumph Brewing Company, Good Dog, The Continental, Sugar something? (A basement bar), and finally Ladder 15. It was a great time as some of my friends were at the Mumford and Sons concert in Camden and we met up with them at Ladder 15.

Overall, I am really impressed with how nice and traditional the city is. I had only really seen south Philly before and I didn't care for it. I have my second interview for a job in King of Prussia on Tuesday and I think that I am going to get the job. If so, I am really excited about the opportunity to live in Philly.

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
If I had a choice, I think I'd live in Old City, Center City, Rittenhouse, or Washington Square. If you'd like to, I would appreciate any feedback about those areas. Thank you.

All of these areas are nice, but definitely the more expensive areas, especially Rittenhouse. One complaint I have heard from friends who lived in Old City is the noise level due to the late night/2-3am foot traffic that all the bars generate. So the cheaper condos in the area will be affected by that if you are on a low floor. You really can't go wrong with any of these places though, all safe, fun and easily within distance of another part of town should you get bored.

Sugar something? (A basement bar).
Sugar Momma's cool little spot.

I have my second interview for a job in King of Prussia on Tuesday and I think that I am going to get the job.

The only recommendation I would make, if you are going to drive everyday, is that you stick to something on the Western side of center city with easier access directly to 76. Rittenhouse would work well in this situation. Fairmount would be a bit closer though, ;).

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
All of these areas are nice, but definitely the more expensive areas, especially Rittenhouse. One complaint I have heard from friends who lived in Old City is the noise level due to the late night/2-3am foot traffic that all the bars generate. So the cheaper condos in the area will be affected by that if you are on a low floor. You really can't go wrong with any of these places though, all safe, fun and easily within distance of another part of town should you get bored.

Sugar Momma's cool little spot.

The only recommendation I would make, if you are going to drive everyday, is that you stick to something on the Western side of center city with easier access directly to 76. Rittenhouse would work well in this situation. Fairmount would be a bit closer though, ;).

So Fairmount does have a good amount of bars and restaurants to go to? What about public transportation?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
So Fairmount does have a good amount of bars and restaurants to go to? What about public transportation?

Yes, it does. All along Fairmount and then on corners in the neighborhood.

Good buses. The 48 will take you into CC. There are two others, but I can't remember the numbers. You'll have 3 bus routes. Or you can go up to Girard and take the trolly. Or you can take the subway line.

You'll be across from the zoo and the Museums -- walking distance to Franklin Institute, and a bunch of other museums like Natural History, etc.

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia

I would say within easy walking distance more than a dozen to choose from for bars. Most of them are pub atmosphere, craft beers and burgers, but I will say there are some phenomenal things you can get at London, Birdgid's and Rembrandt's.

Public transportation is very good, if I want to go to Old City/Center city, there is a bus that runs right down 19th st, and down market all the way to Penn's Landing, the 33 bus iirc. As for getting to a game, for me it's a 5 block walk to Broad St subway and that takes you right there. Once the weather turns nice, it's also very walkable to get to center city, or Rittenhouse. Probably a 15 minute walk.

I will say this though, if you can afford Rittenhouse, I would probably choose that. From the sounds of the bars you went to, that seems like a better fit.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Rittenhouse is definitely a happening area. Fairmount is more subdued. The bars are more laid back. Rittenhouse will have more of a party bar atmosphere, meaning: Women.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Rittenhouse is definitely a happening area. Fairmount is more subdued. The bars are more laid back. Rittenhouse will have more of a party bar atmosphere, meaning: Women.

I'm talking to a girl that I am friends with who lives at Rittenhouse. It's definitely within my price range so I would likely be moving there if possible. How is the parking around there?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'm talking to a girl that I am friends with who lives at Rittenhouse. It's definitely within my price range so I would likely be moving there if possible. How is the parking around there?

Horrible, but there are places to park and walk from. South of South Street (often called simply "South of South" there are spots. That is the closest place I know. Maybe someone else knows better places to park around there.

If meeting single women is your thing, Center City / Rittenhouse is a nice area. I have a group of friends who are doctors at Jefferson. There are hordes of bright 20-30 something women who are MD students who frequent the bars. People around there tend to be educated, high class people, who also have a penchant for drinking and eating out, so they are not at all difficult to meet. Locally, a lot of people play Quizzo (bar trivia) and form teams and make it a weekly thing. Good area for meeting people in general.

Temple Univ. bars are north of you. UPENN and Drexel bars are west of you and just across the river.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Horrible, but there are places to park and walk from. South of South Street (often called simply "South of South" there are spots. That is the closest place I know. Maybe someone else knows better places to park around there.

If meeting single women is your thing, Center City / Rittenhouse is a nice area. I have a group of friends who are doctors at Jefferson. There are hordes of bright 20-30 something women who are MD students who frequent the bars. People around there tend to be educated, high class people, who also have a penchant for drinking and eating out, so they are not at all difficult to meet. Locally, a lot of people play Quizzo (bar trivia) and form teams and make it a weekly thing. Good area for meeting people in general.

Temple Univ. bars are north of you. UPENN and Drexel bars are west of you and just across the river.

Alright cool. I'd likely have to get a parking garage as I'll be driving to work every day. I'm guessing that will cost around $250/month.

phillyflyer2112*

Glad I saw this thread. I too am looking to move into the city. I work in Conshy and currently have a place on the mainline and want to move the hell out. It's too collegy around here and not much going on for my liking.

My price range tops out at around 1200-1300. From what I understand, if I want to be in the middle of the action center city, midtown, old city is where I want to be. I want to be within walking distance of lots of bars, restaraunts and things to do in general. Being around a station that could get me to Conshy would be a plus and would allow me to not worry about parking. A loft would be sweet but I just don't want a tiny dungeon.

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
Glad I saw this thread. I too am looking to move into the city. I work in Conshy and currently have a place on the mainline and want to move the hell out. It's too collegy around here and not much going on for my liking.

My price range tops out at around 1200-1300. From what I understand, if I want to be in the middle of the action center city, midtown, old city is where I want to be. I want to be within walking distance of lots of bars, restaraunts and things to do in general. Being around a station that could get me to Conshy would be a plus and would allow me to not worry about parking. A loft would be sweet but I just don't want a tiny dungeon.

To get that price range, and be near a train, you have to choose Manayunk or perhaps a fringe studio type apartment between City Hall and Market East, or halfway between Market East and Old City. Neither would be a bad place to live, but I am also not as knowledgeable about studio/1 BR apartment prices. Also, Manayunk is one train stop away from Conshohocken on the Norristown Regional Rail Line.

phillyflyer2112*

To get that price range, and be near a train, you have to choose Manayunk or perhaps a fringe studio type apartment between City Hall and Market East, or halfway between Market East and Old City. Neither would be a bad place to live, but I am also not as knowledgeable about studio/1 BR apartment prices. Also, Manayunk is one train stop away from Conshohocken on the Norristown Regional Rail Line.

Yeah, I know Manayunk would be the more practical place to look but I've been dead set on NOT living there. I've ventured there enough and haven't ever really liked the crowd that goes out that way. I realize any place I get in the places I've mentioned (1BR apmt) wouldn't be exactly roomy. But I have a while to look around so who knows..maybe i'll strike gold between now and the summer. I have a real estate agent helping me look. It'd be great to be within a couple blocks of a train station but that's not my top priority. If I have to drive, I have to drive. I'll pay the 200 or so a month and suck it up. I'm mainly concerned with location and what's by me. Like I said, I've lived on the mainline with very little around (although it is a very nice place if you are settling down ect..). I've lived alone in a real big 950 sq ft apmt just for me and it hasn't done anything for me.

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
I moved to 16th and Spring Garden and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far! If anyone is interested in getting season tickets next year, let me know.

Have you checked out Alla Spina yet? Dynamite pork dishes and a fairly decent fancy happy hour with food and drink specials.

Girouxtiful

Jul 17, 2012
I moved to 16th and Spring Garden and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far! If anyone is interested in getting season tickets next year, let me know.

That's awesome man. I live right by 16th and Fairmount - nice area. Getting more and more gentrified, and places that were previously public housing are being swept up by developers (and also new construction - I'm sure you've seen the stuff on the ridge triangle).

Definitely check out Alla Spina - great place. Run by Marc Vetri, one of the top chefs in Philly (see Osteria, Vetri, I forget the name of his other). They have a great late-night happy hour with snacks and decent drink specials Sunday-Thursday after 10:30.

If you want a real great place, check out Prohibition taproom on 13th and Spring Garden. It's a little hipster joint with some of the best food and beer I've found in Philly. Great crowd, and the GM John (bald young guy) is a huge Flyers fan. They typically don't play sports, but you can guarantee he'll have all of the Flyers games on. It's right next to a brand new gourmet pizza place too called Bufad - it's a BYOB too, which is cool.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I'll throw in Roxborough / manayunk area

about 15 min northwest of CC.

Manayunk great town mainly an adult atmosphere with great bars and mom n pop type restaurants also a lot of biking.

Roxborough is great its on high ground so that works well when we get lots of rain.
Also delassandros great cheesesteak shop.

best part about that section Is you are halfway from CC going east and King Of Prussia going west.

you also have the regional rail train which takes you to CC in 20 min.

just make sure you get Comcast or Verizon Fios so youll get CSN and TCN those 2 aren't on directv or dish

Dalessandro's is the best cheesesteak in the city imo

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
But you have made your pilgrimage to the new statue of Clarkie and Parent, right? Right?

I was actually at XFinity Live last night but I forgot that the statue was there!! I was very drunk at that point lol. Can't believe I forgot that but I'm sure I'll be there or at a game soon so I'll have to see it then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad