OT: Thinking of moving to Philly

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
My lease is up at the end of March and I'm not sure what I want to do with my life but I am considering moving to Philly. I've always wanted to live there and have the opportunity to get Flyers season tickets! Anyways, I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations on nice places to live for a decent price while I make my decision. Thanks for any info.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Are you looking to buy or rent?

The good places within the city (there are lots of places that are great outside the city):

Off the top of my head:

Fairmount Park (right by the zoo and the park)
Parts of South Philly (especially closer to the stadium)
Northern Liberties (bad neighborhoods being knocked down-- really up and coming now)
Center City
Old City
Areas a little west of UPenn

Lots of nice areas outside Philly. Trains into the city and whatnot.
Manayunk, etc.

South Jersey is suburban Philadelphia. More space and bigger land to be had.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Are you looking to buy or rent?

The good places within the city (there are lots of places that are great outside the city):

Off the top of my head:

Fairmount Park (right by the zoo and the park)
Parts of South Philly (especially closer to the stadium)
Northern Liberties (bad neighborhoods being knocked down-- really up and coming now)
Center City
Old City
Areas a little west of UPenn

Lots of nice areas outside Philly. Trains into the city and whatnot.
Manayunk, etc.

South Jersey is suburban Philadelphia. More space and bigger land to be had.

pretty much this.

it all depends on your preferences. i lived in the city and moved out not too long ago. i'm currently living right around the "corner" so to speak from philly but about a half hour from the stadiums. there is a train station right by my house that i take every day for school. if your looking for something like that the price will go way down but you won't be in the middle of the action i guess.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the responses, guys. I would most likely want to rent an apartment in the city and enjoy all that it has to offer at least for a few years before I moved out. What are typical prices for a decent apt? I pretty much pay NYC prices now so I can handle it as long as I am able to find another good job.

whskybarJM

Jan 3, 2009
ca
i love philly so much. there something about walking down the original cobbled streets of old city, drunk of you azzz, thinking, "you know what the founding fathers of this country were walking in this same spot just as hammered."

my advice, who cares about the tax. look on an apartment guide internet site and find a place in your price range with the ability to walk into the city. get here by summer to take advantage of the roof top bars. Stratus will be a very very very good time with some high end talent.

look near rittenhouse sq if you are paying the NYC prices I am thinking.
777 broad street apts are really nice with easy parking. can easily walk into the city and you do not have to drive through center city.

to be honest traffic is not bad at all. get on an apartment site and look for your price range. live in the city.

tag a bunch of the single asian ladies until you find that high roller lawyer chick who will support you.

I'll see you at the after hour club

Last edited:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Thanks for the responses, guys. I would most likely want to rent an apartment in the city and enjoy all that it has to offer at least for a few years before I moved out. What are typical prices for a decent apt? I pretty much pay NYC prices now so I can handle it as long as I am able to find another good job.

There are tons of rentals. I would just post back here with areas that you're looking out. Typical prices can be anywhere from 600-1400. You can get a nice place for 800 no doubt if you try.

I lived in NYC for grad school so I know how that goes. Philadelphia's more "happening" areas are much safer than NYC's.

My suggestion would be to look at all these areas and look for which ones suit what you want to pay. Some will be more expensive than others. If it is very low, then you don't want to live there and it is a dump and probably has crime.

Let me know where you move. I may know some secret parking places which will make your life easier.

Rittenhouse Square
Center City
Manayunk (downtown is nice there-- train to into Philly)
Old City - Flyers used to be around here. I think Hartnell has a place here still.
South of South (the farther south you go the worse it gets) -- basically South of South Street has some good neighborhoods below it.
South Philly can be block by block in terms of being good or bad. Near the stadium is fine though. Personally, I hate how South Philly looks. Concrete, boring. No trees. Flatrow homes.
Fairmount Park (I rented here around 700-800 a month but you have to be diligent to find it-- rent with Pappas Realty. Don is the MAN and he's a great guy who will take care of your apartment if stuff breaks-- I had two other places I rented -- Commonwealth and I forget the other-- I did not have a good experience.)
Northern Liberties is up and coming.
The area around 12th and Locust (sometimes called the "gayborhood") because of the homosexual population. It is super nice (the street signs have rainbows under them that's how you'll know you're there). I have a few doctor friends who rent around there because Jefferson Univ/Hospital is there. Another safe area. Lots of night life.

All those places above are pretty exciting -- great food -- bars -- events. South Philly isn't very exciting besides the stadium. Everywhere else I listed has a pretty exotic night life depending on what you put into going out.

There are a few places the players hang out a lot as well. It's not hard to find out.

Do yourself a favor and use Pappas Realty.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Awesome thanks again for the info guys! Right now I pay $1400 for an apartment but obviously my price range will have to depend on if i can find a good job or not. I know a few people in Philly as well so hopefully I can crash on their couch for a little while if I can't find a job soon lol. Anyways, sounds like it's awesome to live there. I've lived here in North Jersey for 6 years now and I think I might be ready for something new. 99% sure I'll be single again very soon and I haven't been for nearly 3 years so we'll see what happens. I'm gonna come down for a visit sometime next month.

May 15, 2009
Philadelphia
Fishtown is a really nice part of town - I strongly suggest living here.

- Up and coming area, cheaper than Northern Liberties (think $800-1200 for a decent 1- 2 BR place)
- Still lots of free street parking (such a huge plus!)
- Lots of bars/food in walking distance, and they keep coming (Kraftwork, Johnny Brenda's, LLoyd, Loco Pez, Sketch Burger, Ekta, Interstate Drafthouse, East Girard Gastropub, Pizza Brain, Fette Sau, Barcade, and so many more)!
- Good art scene
- A younger crowd (23-35ish) mixed in with a lot of old school townies
- Walking distance to Northern Liberties area
- Trolley right on Girard ave
- Walking distance to the train to easily get to Center City

If you look into fishtown area, try to stay in the "Fishtown Triangle". Looking at a map, it's the triangle made by Girard, Frankford and York. A few streets outside that triangle is also fair game off of Girard as well.

Last edited:

whskybarJM

Jan 3, 2009
ca
Awesome thanks again for the info guys! Right now I pay $1400 for an apartment but obviously my price range will have to depend on if i can find a good job or not. I know a few people in Philly as well so hopefully I can crash on their couch for a little while if I can't find a job soon lol. Anyways, sounds like it's awesome to live there. I've lived here in North Jersey for 6 years now and I think I might be ready for something new. 99% sure I'll be single again very soon and I haven't been for nearly 3 years so we'll see what happens. I'm gonna come down for a visit sometime next month.

Well then move into Philly or Hoboken. Two best places for a single guy

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Fishtown is a really nice part of town - I strongly suggest living here.

- Up and coming area, cheaper than Northern Liberties (think $800-1200 for a decent 1- 2 BR place)
- Still lots of free street parking (such a huge plus!)
- Lots of bars/food in walking distance, and they keep coming (Kraftwork, Johnny Brenda's, LLoyd, Loco Pez, Sketch Burger, Ekta, Interstate Drafthouse, East Girard Gastropub, Pizza Brain, Fette Sau, Barcade, and so many more)!
- Good art scene
- A younger crowd (23-35ish) mixed in with a lot of old school townies
- Walking distance to Northern Liberties area
- Trolley right on Girard ave
- Walking distance to the train to easily get to Center City

If you look into fishtown area, try to stay in the "Fishtown Triangle". Looking at a map, it's the triangle made by Girard, Frankford and York. A few streets outside that triangle is also fair game off of Girard as well.
I'd also give a vote for Fishtown.

The only problem I've had is that a lot of the area there is permit parking only.

Also sketch burger is great.

I don't want to offend anyone who lives down there, but that area is a ton of drama. Seems like most of the people who live there grew up there and never left. The residents are a mix of yuppies, hipsters, and the prototypical philadelphia resident :laugh:

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
$1400 will get you a sweet single pad anywhere in center city. If you want to get roommates, 2500 will get you a nice 3bedroom house in graduate hospital. Stay above washinton ave. it's gets really hood really fast as soon as you cross it. Some might chew me out cause I know how people feel about bikers, but get a bike. Nothing is too far with a bike and you can really get to everything the city has to offer.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I'll throw in Roxborough / manayunk area

about 15 min northwest of CC.

Manayunk great town mainly an adult atmosphere with great bars and mom n pop type restaurants also a lot of biking.

Roxborough is great its on high ground so that works well when we get lots of rain.
Also delassandros great cheesesteak shop.

best part about that section Is you are halfway from CC going east and King Of Prussia going west.

you also have the regional rail train which takes you to CC in 20 min.

just make sure you get Comcast or Verizon Fios so youll get CSN and TCN those 2 aren't on directv or dish

BPR*

What are you looking for in a neighborhood? Some of them suit different lifestyles than others.

DeadPhish5858

Rumham!
Sep 12, 2007
the Shade
www.godblesstheflyers.com
I live in the Manayunk/Roxborough area as well. I love it here. There are alot of awesome bars and things to do down in Manayunk and up the hill in Roxborough its relatively quiet. I also live right near an entrance to Fairmont Park which is great for walking/running and fishing.

We pay about $900 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment with basement and garage.

flyersguy33*

I live in the Manayunk/Roxborough area as well. I love it here. There are alot of awesome bars and things to do down in Manayunk and up the hill in Roxborough its relatively quiet. I also live right near an entrance to Fairmont Park which is great for walking/running and fishing.

We pay about $900 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment with basement and garage.

any good places in the area that offer one bedrooom houses for a decent price?

DeadPhish5858

Rumham!
Sep 12, 2007
the Shade
Up where I am is mostly houses and townhouses, but down in Manayunk close to Main Street there are a lot of smaller apartments like that. A buddy of mine used to live in a pretty big one room loft on Richie St which is just off Green Lane. Not sure what he paid for rent though. So yes, there are plenty of places.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I have some friends that live in Manayunk and they tell me it's great. Those prices sound amazing! The only issue I think I'd have with living there is obviously that it's not in the city and near the stadium. I've heard that people don't really use the subway in Philly? If so, how do people get to the stadium just drive?

If any of you are familiar with Hoboken, where I currently live, it's a mid 20's to mid 30's city with a million bars and restaurants and more of a small town feel than NYC. It's a great commuter city to get into NYC and other places as there's bus, subway, light rail, train, and ferry right here. I'd be looking for something similar to that but I'm also willing to try out being right in Philly.

Also, I'd assume that that are several ice rinks and inline rinks in the area as I play both ice and in-line men's hockey leagues. Thanks for all the info everyone!

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
I would like to vote for Fairmount/Art Museum Area. If looking on Craigslist, search Art Museum as typing in Fairmount gets you crappy areas surrounding the actual park and not the nice neighborhood. I currently pay 1100 for a 2 BR/1 BA but we are definitely the low end. Expect to pay between 600-900 per bedroom depending on how nice the rest of the place is.

I have friends who live in Grad Hospital, it's a bit more expensive, but still very nice. Rittenhouse and Society Hill are the more expensive places. I would avoid the outlying areas, if you plan on getting season tickets, it's too much of a pain to use the trains to get in and out of the city. From Fairmount, I simply walk 5 blocks to the Broad St line and I am at the game. My friend does the same thing from his house in Grad Hospital.

At the end of the day, if you like microbrews and burgers, then Fairmount is perfect for you. Only one bar I can think of in the area has any traditional domestics on tap and every bar in the area has ridiculously good burgers.

DeadPhish5858

Rumham!
Sep 12, 2007
the Shade
I guess Hoboken is similar to Manayunk. Although the only times I've been in Hoboken was to take the Path Train into the city.

There are a few trains stops in the area to take into Center City or the sports complex. There are also a number of bus routes. I normally drive in. Its a great tailgating area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad