OT: Thinking of moving to Philly

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Fairmount Avenue is a pretty nice atmosphere for a downtown / bar area. If you want to become a beer person, Old Philly Ale house has elite beers from all over the world. I love that place. You're right next to the Museum, all the parades, and Eastern State Penn (the prison turned museum and best horror place near Halloween). There are a few secret places to park around there as well (parking is annoying there if you don't know where). Trio is a place to eat in Fairmount (a panasian place) that is awesome.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Fishtown.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I have some friends that live in Manayunk and they tell me it's great. Those prices sound amazing! The only issue I think I'd have with living there is obviously that it's not in the city and near the stadium. I've heard that people don't really use the subway in Philly? If so, how do people get to the stadium just drive?

It's more that the subway system is just not very extensive in Philly. However, tons of people use the subway to get to the games, because the Orange Line (Broad Street Line) heads right down to the Sports Complex. It just requires transferring from the Green Line (Trolley which is above ground for a while, then heads under) or Blue Line (Market-Frankford Line, which is an el train, then also heads under) or the Regional Rail lines. The Regional Rail is very popular for people who live in the near suburbs or the more far-flung city neighborhoods. There are way more people in the suburbs than the city (about 3 to 1), so many do carpool and tailgate like crazy. There are lots of buses, too, but they take a long-ass time for extended trips.

If you lived in Manayunk/Roxborough, you could take the Manayunk/Norristown regional rail line to Suburban Station in Center City, then transfer to the southbound Orange Line. Very easy process, but give yourself exra time.

If any of you are familiar with Hoboken, where I currently live, it's a mid 20's to mid 30's city with a million bars and restaurants and more of a small town feel than NYC. It's a great commuter city to get into NYC and other places as there's bus, subway, light rail, train, and ferry right here. I'd be looking for something similar to that but I'm also willing to try out being right in Philly.

The inner ring suburbs in Philly are not the most happening places for people in their 20s and 30s, but there are always a couple of decent bars and restaurants in the majority of places. If I were you, I'd look at Fishtown/Northern Liberties, Art Museum/Fairmount, maybe Old City if you can handle the crowds and smaller apartments at your price point, or maybe the East Passyunk Ave. corridor in South Philly. I lived there for two years (2006-08) right as it was changing from an old school Italian neighborhood into a hipper, super-diverse area. Lots of great food and bars, reasonable rents, everyone from lesbian vegans to 70-year-old mob types to crust punks to young businessmen in suits riding bikes to Center City for work. And the proximity to the Sports Complex is great. Frankly, you should be very popular anywhere as a Flyers fan leaving Metro New York for Philly.

Also, I'd assume that that are several ice rinks and inline rinks in the area as I play both ice and in-line men's hockey leagues. Thanks for all the info everyone!

Definitely lots of hockey to play.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I have some friends that live in Manayunk and they tell me it's great. Those prices sound amazing! The only issue I think I'd have with living there is obviously that it's not in the city and near the stadium. I've heard that people don't really use the subway in Philly? If so, how do people get to the stadium just drive?

If any of you are familiar with Hoboken, where I currently live, it's a mid 20's to mid 30's city with a million bars and restaurants and more of a small town feel than NYC. It's a great commuter city to get into NYC and other places as there's bus, subway, light rail, train, and ferry right here. I'd be looking for something similar to that but I'm also willing to try out being right in Philly.

Also, I'd assume that that are several ice rinks and inline rinks in the area as I play both ice and in-line men's hockey leagues. Thanks for all the info everyone!

I live in roxborough / manyunk area I'm by henry and walnut lane (DELASSANDROS STEAK SHOP GREAT PLACE) in roxborough im across the walnut lane bridge at the circle by the walnut lane golf course.

when going to the stadiums, I'll park my car at either the wissahickon train station or the tulpohocken train station and take the train suburban station aka city hall, it puts your right at the broad street subway aka the orange line, and if your going to a game chances are you will catch the sports express, just make sure you go southbound, last stop is pattison and that's where all stadiums and xfinity live is.

Make sure you check the schedule, and have a backup if you park at the wissahockon station, when coming back from a game youll be at city hall.

if you miss the last train, the 9 27 38 124 125 all head to wissahickon terminal. plus that late at night there won't be any traffic took me no more on a bus to go from CC to manayunk in 10 min at night.

Great area, not much crime, more of a white neighborhood.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I am going to be staying at a friend's place in Manayunk the weekend of Feb 9th. I'll be sure to check out all of the areas while I'm there. Maybe I'll catch a game that weekend

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
I am going to be staying at a friend's place in Manayunk the weekend of Feb 9th. I'll be sure to check out all of the areas while I'm there. Maybe I'll catch a game that weekend

If that's where all your friends are, then it's a fine place. However, as far as getting to the city and back, it's far more frustrating as trains don't run 24/7 like NYC. It is fun, but it might as well be an island in terms of easily coming into the city proper on any regular basis.

BPR*

From Manayunk there are two rinks somewhat close (U Penn and Haverford Skatium are both about 15-20 minutes.) Unfortunately neither does much open hockey though Penn has another league starting in March. There are a ton of rinks that are about forty minutes away if you're willing to make that drive.

I live in Manayunk now and it's cool for the reasons everyone said, but my personal favorite was University City. Easy access to Center City, much better SEPTA service than Manayunk, and it has a real city feel unlike my current place which feels like a suburban college town that happens to have a Philly zip code. That said, I'm the kind of despicable person who likes riding his bike in U City's ample bike lanes to one of its many Ethiopian restaurants/coffee shops, so YMMV.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

Yo man will meet up and I'll take you to delassandros. I'll introduce you to Marge, Trish, Helen, Stephanie, Kate, those are the waitress who are great when you walk in, and oh of course the fellas who cook the sandwiches. ( Kinda like holding your hand on your first day of school LOL )

Also after your finished you'll feel like you went to pepper college.

they got every kind of pepper you could think of, the way each worker breaks it down its like dam, that's a lot of different peppers.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

yo here are some apartments along ridge avenue the heart of roxborough / manyunk area, and your on high ground and on top of the hills, which is great when it rains like hell and when ice is around, anyways here you go.

all info about these apartments are here

http://www.apartments.com/search/?q...XV624ITVa-|C/ss8vGg55vN2i68hQPGEaN3v/tUaHhYA6

Ridge Carlton

Sandra Court

both are right on ridge avenue, which is great you are walking distance from 2 shopping centers, the one has a superfresh.

the other a bit further down has a SHOP RITE which is where most of that neighborhood gets there food, they got the cheapest prices and good stuff.

there is actulay 2 acmes 1 in Andorra and the at the other end of roxborough towards the city direction.

right down from shop rite is a CVS and the grand daddy of them all, the 1 thing that will make you want to move in a heartbeat WAWA.

those 2 apartments, you are as mention in walking distance.

you got 4 supermarkets, 3 CVS , 1 WAWA, a bunch of mom n pop type places, Andorra shopping center - LA fitness, Kohls, gamestop, library, etc.

you won't have to use much gas.

also the 9 and 27 each go to CC and the train stations

1 bdrms are between 800-1200 depending wich place you go to.

the worst tavel times 7-9am 3-7pm that 76 rt 1 / manyunk area is flat out a *****, so the train works best during those times. outside of that life is good.

SilkyMitts

Apr 29, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
im in my mid 20's....lived in chinatown for a year in a brand new building at 9th and arch. two bedroom was $1500 total plus utils. the building was nice. then moved to old city and lived there for two years near 2nd and race. paid $1,800 for a massive, massive 3 bedroom apartment (building was older). old city was much better to live in than chinatown. much more within walking distance. however, if i could pick where to live now it would be northern liberties, in the piazza. check that out. place is bumpin and real nice.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
old city was much better to live in than chinatown. much more within walking distance. however, if i could pick where to live now it would be northern liberties, in the piazza. check that out. place is bumpin and real nice.

This is also good advice. I have a friend who bought a dump in Northern Liberties when he saw the up and coming .... coming. He remodeled the house himself and were he to sell it now he would make a killing.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Fairmount Avenue is a pretty nice atmosphere for a downtown / bar area. If you want to become a beer person, Old Philly Ale house has elite beers from all over the world. I love that place. You're right next to the Museum, all the parades, and Eastern State Penn (the prison turned museum and best horror place near Halloween). There are a few secret places to park around there as well (parking is annoying there if you don't know where). Trio is a place to eat in Fairmount (a panasian place) that is awesome.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Fishtown.

Trio's food is average and has poor value for what you pay. They have good service and its a BYOB, but the food is not good. Maybe it was our chef that night, but apps tasted like they were prepped a week ago and the seafood was frozen and not fresh, so it feels like its an issue with how the kitchen is managed. I only write this is because this is the only negative food experience I've had in a while.

tlkamps

May 11, 2010
Philly
im in my mid 20's....lived in chinatown for a year in a brand new building at 9th and arch. two bedroom was $1500 total plus utils. the building was nice. then moved to old city and lived there for two years near 2nd and race. paid $1,800 for a massive, massive 3 bedroom apartment (building was older). old city was much better to live in than chinatown. much more within walking distance. however, if i could pick where to live now it would be northern liberties, in the piazza. check that out. place is bumpin and real nice.

I have lived in the Piazza for two years now with my GF. The rent is pretty high and utilities are very high. For a one bedroom thats >650 sqft we pay $1,450. Utilities on average are around $140 a month closer to $200 during the summer. You pay for everything, elec, water, garbage, sewer, natural gas. There are some nice places in here though that have large outdoor patios but that raises the rent more obviously. $1,350 is the bottom of the rent and 2 bedrooms start around $1,800 I believe.

Personally I would look in houses outside of the Piazza as you'll get more space and cheaper utilities than in the Piazza. That's what me and my GF are doing. Just my two cents.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Trio's food is average and has poor value for what you pay. They have good service and its a BYOB, but the food is not good. Maybe it was our chef that night, but apps tasted like they were prepped a week ago and the seafood was frozen and not fresh, so it feels like its an issue with how the kitchen is managed. I only write this is because this is the only negative food experience I've had in a while.

Yeah, you must have had a bad night. I've gone there 10 or so times and everything was always great. I had a birthday party thrown there and everyone loved the food.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
I live in south Philly. I love living there with just a 5 minute drive to the rink and free parking outside my apartment. 2 bedrooms, $400 each a month. Should definitely roam south Philly and look into Craigslist

Last edited by a moderator:

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I live in south Philly. I love living there with just a 5 minute drive to the rink and free parking outside my apartment. 2 bedrooms, $400 each a month. Should definitely roam south Philly and look into Craigslist

Pretty cheap.

Pennsport section of South Philly(right off of I-95) is nice. 5 mins from Stadiums. Got the United Artists movie theater on Delaware Ave there. Bunch of corner bars. Couple of hockey rinks. Has plenty of stores within walking distance. Wawa(a must for me) Ikea, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Shop Rite, Super fresh, Lowes, Home Depot, Modell's. Close to South st.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
Pretty cheap.

Pennsport section of South Philly(right off of I-95) is nice. 5 mins from Stadiums. Got the United Artists movie theater on Delaware Ave there. Bunch of corner bars. Couple of hockey rinks. Has plenty of stores within walking distance. Wawa(a must for me) Ikea, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Shop Rite, Super fresh, Lowes, Home Depot, Modell's. Close to South st.

That shopping center area is prime.

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia

I can't agree with recommending the Piazza, rent is far to expensive, the buildings aren't all that nice, and it is hipster central. You really need to be ok with the hipster attitude to live in NoLibs or Fishtown. Just my experience in looking at apartments through out the city.

tlkamps

May 11, 2010
Philly
I can't agree with recommending the Piazza, rent is far to expensive, the buildings aren't all that nice, and it is hipster central. You really need to be ok with the hipster attitude to live in NoLibs or Fishtown. Just my experience in looking at apartments through out the city.

The hipsters aren't too bad its just the rent thats bad.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yo man will meet up and I'll take you to delassandros. I'll introduce you to Marge, Trish, Helen, Stephanie, Kate, those are the waitress who are great when you walk in, and oh of course the fellas who cook the sandwiches. ( Kinda like holding your hand on your first day of school LOL )

Also after your finished you'll feel like you went to pepper college.

they got every kind of pepper you could think of, the way each worker breaks it down its like dam, that's a lot of different peppers.

Sounds awesome!

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Pretty cheap.

You left out John's Roast Pork. Way more important than those stores.

BPR*

Manayunk/Roxborough people, what's the best bar in the neighborhood for hockey viewing purposes?

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Manayunk/Roxborough people, what's the best bar in the neighborhood for hockey viewing purposes?

there are a couple pecks ok, Jamestown saloon on henry and Jamestown basically right by chubbys is good, they got good chicken tenders.

the other place I would recommend is I forgot the name of the place but its right in the same place as the united artist by manayunk, I think its a diner something, manayunk diner.

They got a bar with 2 TV's but I don't think they have CSN.

a lot of bars on main street are also good, but they are always crowded.

I never been to it, but I always wanted to try the ugly moose.

SilkyMitts

Apr 29, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

youre paying for location. all of the good location spots in the city are going to be more expensive. you are living in a up and coming neighborhood with popular nightlife. it isnt all as hipster as youre making it out to be, and its not like they are thugs and criminals..so to me its not bothersome. it seems like OP is looking for good city life and to be near the 'happening' YP areas. if thats the case, then rittenhouse nolibs or old city /thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad