OT: RIM Is Not Doing Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
BB can't survive with the current ecosystem it thas, unless they can get Android apps working properly on their devices, they are dead. Because in the end, it's all about ecosystems. Apple has that, Google has that and Microsoft is starting to look very promising with it's ecosystem (Exchange, Office365, XBox Live, Live Messenger etc etc).

BB is going to face much stiffer competition once Nokia gets it's ball rolling with Mango and Tango.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
As so few finished consumer products are actually manufactured in North America anymore, even if you wanted to "Buy Canadian" or "Buy American" well, just go right on ahead & try that at a Walmart or any other number of big box retailers. Protectionist or isolationist, its impracticable to ask or even expect Canadians or Americans to do that. Not much more than sloganeering (Obamas's "Buy American" Jobs Program for eg.)...
I'd say buying Canadian does keep jobs in Canada. Rim had 9,000 employees in Waterloo, with the recent layoff it still employs 7,000. That's in Waterloo alone, RIM also has offices in Mississauga, Ottawa, and the Maritimes.

Anyway according to wiki., RIM seems to be doing well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_In_Motion#cite_note-Blackberry-19

Year Sales Operating Income Net Income
2002[20] 294,000,000 (58,000,000) (28,000,000)
2003[20] 307,000,000 (64,000,000) (149,000,000)
2004[20] 595,000,000 78,000,000 52,000,000
2005[20] 1,350,000,000 386,000,000 206,000,000
2006[20] 2,066,000,000 617,000,000 375,000,000
2007[20] 3,037,000,000 807,000,000 632,000,000
2008[20] 6,009,000,000 1,731,000,000 1,294,000,000
2009[20] 11,065,000,000 2,722,000,000 1,893,000,000
2010[20] 14,953,000,000 3,507,000,000 2,457,000,000
2011[20] 19,907,000,000 4,639,000,000 3,444,000,000

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
I hate cell phones... ESPECIALLY smartphones.. Oddly enough I have 2.. both BB's.. The Torch is my favourite, probably has something to do with it not being a work phone though..

Funny story, to me anyways, my dad who's almost 60 came over one day all in glee that he bought an IPhone 4 I think it was.. I asked what he needed it for and suggested he shoulda bought a BB for less. No no he says it doesn't do what I need.. that feature he needed and spent 500 dollars to get was...a voice recorder to take notes...
Took me 36 years to realize it but at that moment I knew I was smarter than my parents lol

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
This is the Beta/VHS thing all over again. Beta was better in every way....but VHS won. Why? I have no idea. Same reason why iPhone seems to be winning customers from BlackBerry.....people are flocking from a better, more secure, more functional product for another product that is simply 'flashy'.

Correct. BETA was the superior product. Every TV station archived and taped their programming in BETA. For years this was the case until digital storage became cheap enough to replace it. The demise of BETA in the wake of VHS at the consumer end was simple. As movie rentals and sales climbed, it became increasingly more costly to produce two formats. Since there were more VSh players in consumers homes, production companies started eliminating their BETA reproductions to market, forcing BETA owners to switch to VHS.

That is all it has been about for Apple. Inferior products (yeah....go Google the tech reviews) and high prices.....huge revenues based on average devices. Their marketing wins huge......past that.....they are nothing. People (tweens in Apple's customer group) will eventually become bored with Apple. They offer nothing of substance. Once the iPhone users grow up.....they won't want an Apple product anymore.....they just won't.

For the record, I am a Blackberry user. My choice is based on the fact that I have more flexibility for business application with Blackberry vs iPhone. One thing I don't mistake is my personal use for the device, vs the broader market demand for features of the product. The iPhone is more simplistic, and is packaged better for the average consumer. It is a far superior entertainment device, and has better integrated social media. Applications are devloped for the iPhone first, and then eventually present itself for Blackberry.

I recall a College course in which it was prognosticated that your Television, music, internet and phone would eventually integrated into one. iPhone/iPad came first to this front, and has the edge in the eyes of the consumer.

On a personal note, I would prefer the Blackberry to be the superior product in the eyes of the consumer. The market says otherwise. I will not bury my head in the sand from the facts. RIM holds a tenuous position where they are. They need a new trick to capture the imagination of the buying populace. Falling short of this will only hasten the road to their demise.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

RandR

May 15, 2011
More bad news on the PlayBook front...
RIM delays PlayBook OS update to 2012, will ship without BBM

Compare this to some more positive PR for the iPad... last night on CBC news they showed how the iPad is being used to help autistic kids.
iPad helps Toronto special needs kids learn
The accompanying video shown on TV was very compelling; the smiles on some of those kids faces just made your heart melt.

I mentioned this before.. RIM should just kill off the Playbook and focus on maintaining market share where it has it. From the beginning they have been playing catchup in the tablet market and instead of making headway they are falling further behind.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
IMHO the real story long term is how Apple will do without the late Mr. Jobs marketing skill. They weren't doing all that well before he rejoined the company. In fact one might argue they were in RIM's position today. A good product that didn't get any respect from the markets because of a competitor's marketing skill. Microsoft in fact.

But they had a strong following from consumers that kept them in business despite investor bias. Customers are key here not investors. I don't select products because of their stock value. If I did I'd be bankrupt today. Or maybe just homeless.

BlackBerry Bold 9900 and BlackBerry Curve 9360 Are World's First SIM-Based Smartphones to Receive MasterCard PayPass Handset Certification

"The certification was granted on the basis of the BlackBerry® smartphones meeting the functionality, interoperability and security requirements of MasterCard. With this certification, any MasterCard PayPass-issuing bank globally will be able to deploy MasterCard PayPass-enabled accounts to the SIM card of these smartphones.

The ecosystem to allow customers to take advantage of the certified BlackBerry smartphones for NFC payments is already growing. France Telecom - Orange believes that mobile NFC has the potential to enable a new revolution in mobile by further connecting people's mobile digital world with the physical world around them. France Telecom – Orange is the first operator worldwide to have commercial NFC launches in two countries, UK and France, with trials in several European markets."

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
More bad news on the PlayBook front...
RIM delays PlayBook OS update to 2012, will ship without BBM

Compare this to some more positive PR for the iPad... last night on CBC news they showed how the iPad is being used to help autistic kids.
iPad helps Toronto special needs kids learn
The accompanying video shown on TV was very compelling; the smiles on some of those kids faces just made your heart melt.

I mentioned this before.. RIM should just kill off the Playbook and focus on maintaining market share where it has it. From the beginning they have been playing catchup in the tablet market and instead of making headway they are falling further behind.

...And they want to sell 2 for 1 for a tablet that doesn't even have e-mail?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...And they want to sell 2 for 1 for a tablet that doesn't even have e-mail?

Apparently. Yet they cant fight their way out of a Paper Bag?. Go on & hit me. Hit me hit me hit me with yer Rythym Stick as Dead Men bespeak. Your Dead in the Water ya Damn Defenders.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Apparently. Yet they cant fight their way out of a Paper Bag?. Go on & hit me. Hit me hit me hit me with yer Rythym Stick as Dead Men bespeak. Your Dead in the Water ya Damn Defenders.

Any tablet isn't as functional as a netbook, it's all hype. America fell in love with the Pet Rock for goodness sake. It's all about advertising. As was mentioned earlier the real brain at Apple is gone, we'll see what happens shortly.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm switching to iPhone. I almost feel bad about it, been a BB guy for over 3 years. I've found though I'm using my BB for more pleasure than business nowadays, and the web surfing just doesn't compare.

As for the whole iPad hype, there's nothing on an iPad I can't do on my notebook computer. Sure, there's benefits to the iPad, like size, and 3G capabilities, but I can get a small notebook for half the price and a Rocket Stick if need be.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
:sueme:

At what point does this stuff get borrrrrrring?

Lame.

Let's attack Blackberry because others finally figured out what they did years ago.

Let's attack a company for being part of the normal business cycle of innovation.

I thought of it first and made my billions now everybody is selling it so I'm not number one anymore. Meanwhile along the way I created one of the top think tanks in the world, created a whole community of wealth and whoops! I tried to bring a hockey team to the largest unserved market on planet earth because I love hockey.

Excuuuuse me for living.

The line up is over there to kick me for being so evil.

Perspective anyone?

Last edited:

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
I posted this in the other BlackBerry Thread but I may as well post it here too:

The Third Free App is available now & it's a good one:

Shazam Encore

I already bought this one a long time ago but if you don't have it you should definitely download it. It allows you're BlackBerry to listen to songs and then tells you the name of the Song, Artist and Album.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
I find it funny that the thread title is RIM.

Because we all know this is solely about Jim Balsillie.

Btw, Samsung just took over the #1 spot from Apple in the Smartphone market. Not that any of the RIM bashers and bad market apologists care. It's a non issue.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I find it funny that the thread title is RIM.

Because we all know this is solely about Jim Balsillie.

Btw, Samsung just took over the #1 spot from Apple in the Smartphone market. Not that any of the RIM bashers and bad market apologists care. It's a non issue.

More than anything, that just shows how far off-base a lot of the Canada-centric RIM vs. Apple posting in this thread is with respect to the global marketplace. Threats to RIM's long-term value and profitability are coming from Android platforms (Samsung, Motorola, and HTC) and eventually from Microsoft (via Nokia and other vendors selling WP7 and later WP8), not Apple.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
What are the chances we could one day see Blackberry switch their OS to Android? Or has BB7 brought them up to par with the iOS and Android?

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
At what point does this stuff get borrrrrrring?
NEVER

Let's attack Blackberry because others finally figured out what they did years ago.

Blackberry was sued and lost for infringing on another company's patent's

Let's attack a company for being part of the normal business cycle of innovation.
No problem here I love to attack Baldy

I thought of it first and made my billions now everybody is selling it so I'm not number one anymore.
By patent infridgment and
illegally backdating stocks.

Meanwhile along the way created one of the top think tanks in the world, created a whole community of wealth and whoops!
Big deal, you also made sure everyone knows about it to feed your ego.

I tried to bring a hockey team to the largest unserved market on planet earth because I love hockey.
By trying to break every rule in the book. Lying to one of the greatest players ever. Then trying Undermining team's leases and lying throughout the whole process. And then trying to sue your way into the league. Also by flag waving and misrepersenting the league's motivies to stop you.

The line up is over there to kick me for being so evil.
Please can I go twice and bring a Baseball bat the second time;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad