OT: Pfft Do You Even Healthy Body Transformation? (General Lounge Style Discussion)

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Mistake #1: cutting calories too much.

How do you expect to build muscle?

Started going back to my school gym which i haven't reached in about 2 years. Everyone is the exact same size... I put on about 30 lbs and although im not cut, definitely put on a large amount of muscle.

Feels good that kids i used to think were big are now much smaller than me... feel like telling them to eat though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Mistake #1: cutting calories too much.

How do you expect to build muscle?

Started going back to my school gym which i haven't reached in about 2 years. Everyone is the exact same size... I put on about 30 lbs and although im not cut, definitely put on a large amount of muscle.

Feels good that kids i used to think were big are now much smaller than me... feel like telling them to eat though.

Yep. Theres just no circumventing the diet. Id much rather eat clean all day than cut my calories way too low and eat meh.

I have a hard time reaching my caloric intake for a day though, im a fat ass but chomping down half a cow worth of proteins is ****ing inhuman.

Half a cow worth of Krispy kreme donuts though, that I can do :laugh:

vt89*

May 6, 2010
Sodium is not as scary as people think it is

lulz

sodium at a healthy or even somewhat above healthy level is fine and good. but the amount of sodium your average westerner eats is just horrible.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
lulz

sodium at a healthy or even somewhat above healthy level is fine and good. but the amount of sodium your average westerner eats is just horrible.

True this. Humans need a certain amount of Sodium. Problem is highly processed foods, even foods you would think are healthy, have way too much added. Especially things like canned soup and sauces.

When I first started Low-Carb, I read that light-headedness is a common side affect, and the cause is low sodium intake. I found this happening to me, so they recommended drinking a cup of hot water with a bouillion packet dissolved in it, like tea. I found it really helped and even though it has tons of sodium, it was still the majority of my sodium in a day from that one packet.

Pretty tasty too, just like a cup of chicken noodle soup.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
lulz

Its not the amount they eat. Your body is virtually able to deal with any dose of sodium you eat or drink. The sodium and potassium relation in artery developement is the real problem. Obviously, its easier to eat less salt altogether, but a healthy diet and a bowl of Chipotle? Theres no risks to a healthy individual.

Not accounting for the Sodium to calcium relation ratio too, which leads to osteoporosis.

Last edited:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Do Amino Acids have any connection to how sore your muscles are?

My forearms have been sore for like half a week now, did Back/Bi yesterday and had one of my worst Bi days because of them. Told myself there's no way I wasn't taking a rest day today.

Well... morning me didn't like that idea so I went with the expectation that I was gonna skip shoulders and do legs because of that soreness. I get there and decide **** it, just do shoulders... and I end up having the best shoulder day of my life. Forearms were completely fine. Not complaining just not sure how it happened lol. (I take 2 pills of ON BCAA's after every workout, and another 2 halfway through if it's a 2 hour workout.)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Do Amino Acids have any connection to how sore your muscles are?

My forearms have been sore for like half a week now, did Back/Bi yesterday and had one of my worst Bi days because of them. Told myself there's no way I wasn't taking a rest day today.

Well... morning me didn't like that idea so I went with the expectation that I was gonna skip shoulders and do legs because of that soreness. I get there and decide **** it, just do shoulders... and I end up having the best shoulder day of my life. Forearms were completely fine. Not complaining just not sure how it happened lol. (I take 2 pills of ON BCAA's after every workout, and another 2 halfway through if it's a 2 hour workout.)

Glutamine -

Studies have shown that L-Glutamine supplementation can minimize breakdown of muscle and improve protein metabolism. Find out everything you need to know about glutamine and how it can help you!

Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in your muscles - over 61% of skeletal muscle is Glutamine. Glutamine consists of 19% nitrogen, making it the primary transporter of nitrogen into your muscle cells.

During intense training, Glutamine levels are greatly depleted in your body, which decreases strength, stamina and recovery. It could take up to 6 days for Glutamine levels to return to normal - and Glutamine plays a key role in protein synthesis. Studies have shown that L-Glutamine supplementation can minimize breakdown of muscle and improve protein metabolism.
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glutamine.htm

But honestly I don't think a BCAA is going to be the cure of soreness. It just sounds like you are over training, a problem many of us have. I mean what workout are you doing that takes 2 hours? That seems overkill.

My recommendation - there are so many studies out there that talk about train, rest, recovery, etc. I would really recommend putting some time aside and doing homework. I don't honestly believe there is any 2 hour workout short of playing a sport.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks for that link.

Yeah I am definitely over training and have been for awhile now. But in about 2 weeks I'll have a 3-week period of time where my gym time is gonna be minimal. So I don't want to waste any days until then, and honestly I'm just way too addicted right now as well.

My 2 hour lifts are Back/Bi and Chest/Tri, I take a ~5 minute break in between to take amino acid supplements, eat some carbs and rest. I can usually shorten them by a little bit but I don't feel as accomplished.

As far as the soreness goes... for now I'm just gonna keep going. A tiny bit will flare up here and there but right now I'm completely fine, even though I took no rest days in between now and Sat/Sun when it was at its worst. (That does include Leg Day today though which involves no forearm movements basically)

My plan is to just rest & eat a lot during that 3 week break and then get back at it :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well... the good news is you are committed and staying active! And that's something a lot of people can't do. The bad thing is, I would not go about it that way regardless. The idea is to embrace the journey as it is a life long commitment to a healthier life/more active lifestyle. Right now you are in full sprint and then you will be off for 3 weeks. So you are doing all of this great work for basically nothing. For the 3 weeks you are gym limited, I would try to find 3 days of those weeks to do workouts such as bodyweight training, a jog/walk, or just pushups/pullups/situps if you can. And don't binge! You can indulge all you want, but try to be reasonable. IF you know you are going to have a dinner out, then eat healthy up to that dinner.

But hey - it's not for me to say. :) The fact you are doing what you can now is all anyone can ask for.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah for sure, I definitely agree with that.

I maybe should have noted that I'm in the middle of a bulk. My goal is 15 pounds away and once I get there I'm gonna completely change my routine to focus more on bodyweight and cardio stuff while lifting less often. Definitely a "sprint" right now because my free time will go way down starting in September.

I'm still gonna be eating 3.5-4k cals a day during that break and won't be couch locked but I won't have the intense workout routines I have now. Runs sound like a good idea... build my terrible stamina up before I'm doing a lot more cardio starting in September.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yeah, there is plenty of stuff you can do without a gym to stay in shape:

- handstand push ups
- pike push ups
- diamond push ups
- body ups or Sphinx push ups (triceps)
- pull ups
- horizontal rows
- pistol squats
- 1-legged hip thrusts
- core work.

You can do a 3-day push/pull+legs/rest routine out of these easily. If push ups or pull ups are too easy, try doing 4-second negatives on each rep. I promise they won't be easy after that.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yeah, there is plenty of stuff you can do without a gym to stay in shape:

- handstand push ups
- pike push ups
- diamond push ups
- body ups or Sphinx push ups (triceps)
- pull ups
- horizontal rows
- pistol squats
- 1-legged hip thrusts
- core work.

You can do a 3-day push/pull+legs/rest routine out of these easily. If push ups or pull ups are too easy, try doing 4-second negatives on each rep. I promise they won't be easy after that.
Not to mention:
Walking
Running
Biking
Swimming
Hiking
Golfing

Because of all of these things I am spending less time in the gym this summer, and more time outside, but still making healthy progress. I feel like I have to take advantage of the nice weather while we have it, can go back to 3/4 days in the gym in the late fall/winter.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I dont know wtf is happening but I feel my body is freaking breaking down. Injured my shoulder while OHPing, injured my knee while hiking, my calves are like ultra tight like in constant cramp form, my lower back is in meh shape because i have a slight anterior pelvic tilt.. Im only 24 ffs.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Im trying to get a routine going for eating during the work week but im trying to focus first on my 8am-4:30pm schedule at work.

I'll start by getting a Scrambled Egg and Bacon bowl from Wawa which is

Amount Per Serving
Calories 210 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15g 23%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 260mg 87%
Sodium 610mg 25%
Total Carbohydrates 3g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 1g
Protein 14g

Im trying to kick my energy drink habit, currently im drinking a 16 oz can of Monster Energy Ultra Sunrise (Zero Cal, Zero "Sugar").

Then i usually have a Blue Diamond Almonds ( around a 1/2 cup) mixed witha handful of sunflower seeds.

If im still hungry i have a sandwich bag full of skinny pop popcorn.

lunch, im usually either doing chicken noodle soup and a bag of chips, or a salad with chicken or ground turkey as a topping and chips. Im also trying to kick a habit of drinking a 22 ounce fountain diet dr pepper with lunch, which i do most days.

Afternoon i usually have a sweet tooth so i started buying Halo top ice cream which is low calorie, low sugar, high protein. a full pint is like 240 calories but i usually have a 1/4 of the pint.

Im currently around 239 and would like to get down to 200 within the next year. Unfortunately i don't have a lot of time to go to the gym with a 10 month old baby. Im playing Ice hockey twice a week.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I dont know wtf is happening but I feel my body is freaking breaking down. Injured my shoulder while OHPing, injured my knee while hiking, my calves are like ultra tight like in constant cramp form, my lower back is in meh shape because i have a slight anterior pelvic tilt.. Im only 24 ffs.

Only thing I kinda relate to is slightly breaking down early (22) lol. About to get my second knee surgery within two years in September and my right shoulder just doesn't cooperate, other knee is hurting because of overcompensation while I wait for my surgery, etc, all while I'm also continuing to train so I'm in peak shape for the city's firefighting recruitment in 2018.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I've been going up in weight in strength and bodyweight at a fast rate right now (23). I was doing 205 3x3 on flat bench at the start of June and am hitting 235 for 3 sets of 6 right now. With that increase I've noticed my elbows always hurting, my overall joints.

Always had issues with my left shoulder since I started and really ****** hips - worse after my hernia surgery. Back used to be an issue but feels amazing now.

Broke down my cycle to

Push - chest/shoulders/triceps (focused more on chest)
Legs - majority is just quads, obviously hitting the hamstrings on these lifts but not a focus
Back - Going up in strength, but grip strength is lacking. I hate wrist wraps
Push2 - chest/shoulders - focused more on incline and heavier/more volume shoulders
Legs2/back - A lot of volume on hamstrings with some back movements
Arms - heavy first lift biceps (100lb curls for 3x8 cheating a tad, close grip bench 195 3x8) and then just lots of volume
Day off

Meals are something like

5 whole eggs/4 egg whites/hashbrowns/bananas
protein shake
veggies
lean ground turkey/rice
chicken breast
protein bar/banana
gym (workout later)
lean ground beef/pasta w turkey balls/steak/soulvaki w a side of rice/potatoes with greens
protein shake

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Started working out back everyday for last 2 weeks

Lat pulldowns & Serratus pulldowns everyday so far, going to slowly incorporate more exercises (rows soon)

My lats have noticeably gotten bigger already, girlfriend noticed it, and she's not the one to notice any of my gains :laugh:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Started working out back everyday for last 2 weeks

Lat pulldowns & Serratus pulldowns everyday so far, going to slowly incorporate more exercises (rows soon)

My lats have noticeably gotten bigger already, girlfriend noticed it, and she's not the one to notice any of my gains :laugh:

Your back doesn't have time to recover from the workouts, though.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Your back doesn't have time to recover from the workouts, though.

That's what I thought, but my backs been ready to go after every workout.

Your back/abs recover much quicker than anything else, give it a shot and see how you feel.

My physio recommended it as he said it's almost impossible to overtrain your upper back as it recovers really quick, and I agree with that 100% after trying it out for 2 weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad