OT - Ottawa Fury FC Canadian Championship Schedule

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Agreed. The media coverage for the team is steadily increasing. Especially as the Sens continue to blow it.

The Sens struggles this year are a gift to the Fury and RedBlacks; a prolonged playoff run , which now seems very unlikely, would have swamped their launch.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
The Sens struggles this year are a gift to the Fury and RedBlacks; a prolonged playoff run , which now seems very unlikely, would have swamped their launch.

As a Habs fan, this is a double gift for me. Fury getting more press and Sens not making the playoffs. Altough another Habs/Sens series would be pretty fun.

Hopefully I can make it to one of their exhibition games before they leave for Florida.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Once the Sens are eliminated I think it'll dawn on people that for the first time in nearly a decade there is another team to start rooting for immediately. As someone who's lived in Ottawa a lot, I know it'll be a huge novelty for me anyways! :laugh:

Interested to see whether the Redblacks/Fury draw away many fan dollars from the Sens in the next few years...certainly they are more convenient franchises to attend and cheer live for a majority of city residents just in terms of geography.

Just over a month away guys, I'm absolutely pumped! :yo:

george8it

Jul 19, 2012
Once the Sens are eliminated I think it'll dawn on people that for the first time in nearly a decade there is another team to start rooting for immediately. As someone who's lived in Ottawa a lot, I know it'll be a huge novelty for me anyways! :laugh:

Interested to see whether the Redblacks/Fury draw away many fan dollars from the Sens in the next few years...certainly they are more convenient franchises to attend and cheer live for a majority of city residents just in terms of geography.

Just over a month away guys, I'm absolutely pumped! :yo:

It can't come soon enough.:dm:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Very pumped to see the team starting to gain a following.

Been exchanging words with Chris Hofley, and it sounds like the training camp out in Gatineau is off to a fast-paced start.

Check out my Fury FC blog here, my latest article is an in-depth look at our opening day opponent, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

Very pumped to see pro soccer in the city! :handclap::handclap:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Quick question though- why is only one of the three stands actually being used at Landsdowne?

Especially for their inaugural season, I would've though that the Fury could have capitalized on a 20K+ stadium...

Going to be weird in a brand-new stadium to have one half of one side packed and two stands going unused.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
The first half or the spring season all home games are at Carleton which i believe is about 5000 max. So i assume the Fury thinking is that the south stands at Lansdowne will be sufficient for the expected crowds in the second half of the season. I'm sure that if they were in first place and demands for more tickets they would open up the north stand.
Also 5000 people in a 5-8000 seat area is going to look a lot better than 5000 scattered all over a 25000 seat area.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Quick question though- why is only one of the three stands actually being used at Landsdowne?

Especially for their inaugural season, I would've though that the Fury could have capitalized on a 20K+ stadium...

Going to be weird in a brand-new stadium to have one half of one side packed and two stands going unused.

Probably just gauging interest in the first season. If the team is a success (which I anticipate) financially and attendance wise for the amount of seats they allocated this year, I'm sure they'll open up more stands. People gotta speak with their wallet first!

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Hey guys there is a comprehensive picture update on the TD Place facebook page, but here are some highlights. Pictures taken today (Monday, March 10).

This stadium is really coming along and will be an absolutely fantastic place to catch Ottawa Fury games...

I can't emphasize enough how proud I am at this project, both for our city, and for our pro sports scene. This is something every Ottawan should be excited about. What an opportunity to get our city on the map like never before.

Enjoy.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And for those curious about TD Place Arena (formerly Civic Center), this is what it currently looks like. Scaffolding city. The whole place is getting a complete and total refresh. Gonna be the crown jewel of the OHL no doubt about it.

picture.php

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yep, the blog looks much better. This whole process is really exciting. I'm ecstatic that Ottawa is going to have a professional team and Fury FC is actually looking pretty promising right now.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I'll be amazed if this city can support hockey, football and soccer.

I actually agree completely. It's going to require a fair amount of reversal in the traditional Ottawa sports mindset. These teams won't be perennial winners out of the gate and the business models won't be functional with an apathetic fanbase...

I'm really hoping we as a civic community come together and make this happen. It would be huge in terms of finally getting Ottawa onto the map sports-wise. Like I said, it'll require a reversal from the usual 'well they suck/they're not pro enough/too expensive' mentality that so often plagues this city, but I'm confident this will happen.

TD Place is perfectly located to take advantage of the 18-24 crowd so crucial to pro sports success in a way that Ottawa has never seen before (and certainly doesn't currently see with the CTC). I think that in itself will be a big enough draw to make sure some people plunk down the cash/time/energy to become long-term fans and ensure both teams (+67s of course) are successful. I think all the pieces are in place for this to work. :nod:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Another sighning - Tony Donatelli

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/detail/uuid/v07b6zkwwf81155d4faqib97m#.Uywj1KIlvDA

Updated Fury Roster

Goalkeepers (3): Marcel DeBellis, Chad Bush, Devala Gorrick

Defenders (6): Ramon Soria, Omar Jarun, Andrés Fresenga, Maykon Araujo, Drew Beckie, Mason Trafford

Midfielders (7): Nicki Paterson, Richie Ryan, Mauro Eustaquio, Hamza Elias, Sinisa Ubiparipovic, Philippe Davies, Tony Donatelli

Forwards (5): Oliver Minatel, Carl Haworth, Tom Heinemann, Pierre-Rudolph Mayard, Vini Dantas

Trialists (2): Adrian LeRoy (D), Kenny Caceros (M)

Academy Players (3): Nicholas Jeffs (GK), Mitchell O’Brien (M), Thierry Foucher Lemay (F)

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
According to an email circulated to season ticket holders, the jersey and general home/away kits will be revealed on March 29th in a special reveal party at Tailgator's on Merivale.

So close I can taste it! :handclap:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Go Fury!

Will be interesting to see how this match plays out. Not defining by any means, but I know they've been a bit disappointed with their performances in other friendlies.

littleD

The format of the Voyageurs Cup aka Canadian Club Championships is changing.

This year's format has the competition starting in late April. Ottawa plays Edmonton, with the winner joining the three MLS clubs in the next round. Winner of the whole thing qualifies for the 14/15 CONCACAF Champions League.

The 2015 tournament will be held after the 2015 Women's World Cup. Winner for that will qualify for the 16/17 CONCACAF Champions League.

The Canadian entry in the 15/16 CONCACAF Champions League will be the highest placed of the three Canadian MLS clubs.

Starting in 2016 and for subsequent editions, the Amway Canadian Championship will resume its format and be played in the new, more club and fan friendly timeframe of June and July, with the winner representing Canada in the following season of the CONCACAF Champions League.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-...hampionnat-canadien-amway-p156082&language=en

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
The format of the Voyageurs Cup aka Canadian Club Championships is changing.

This year's format has the competition starting in late April. Ottawa plays Edmonton, with the winner joining the three MLS clubs in the next round. Winner of the whole thing qualifies for the 14/15 CONCACAF Champions League.

The 2015 tournament will be held after the 2015 Women's World Cup. Winner for that will qualify for the 16/17 CONCACAF Champions League.

The Canadian entry in the 15/16 CONCACAF Champions League will be the highest placed of the three Canadian MLS clubs.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-...hampionnat-canadien-amway-p156082&language=en

Hey guys, I started up a new 'Fury FC 2014 Season Thread' to keep track of all news and game stuff for us footy fans in Ottawa. Let's start posting there as it's a little more appropriate of a thread as opposed to this one which was supposed to be just Canadian Championship related.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad