OT - Ottawa Fury FC Canadian Championship Schedule

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
A little OT but this coming Spring Ottawa will be taking part in the Canadian Voyageur's Cup (best Soccer team in the country) championship and the schedule was released today:

http://www.concacaf.com/article/2014-canadian-championship-schedule-unveiled

We play Edmonton FC in April, and then if we beat them we take on the Montreal Impact in May!

Should be a good bunch of games; I bet we could easily beat Edmonton FC which have floundered in recent years. Montreal Impact will be a different story altogether but hey just look at 2008 when the NASL Impact made it all the way to the CONCACAF Champions League!

Stranger things have happened. ;)

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
For the first half of the season Ottawa Fury FC will be playing their home games at Carleton University's Keith Harris Stadium as Lansdowne will not be finished in time.

Fury have signed 3 players so far Nicki Paterson from Scotland, Oliver Minatel from Brazil and Carl Haworth from Barrie, Ont, captain and leading scorer for Ottawa FC in the PDL this past year.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty solid signings so far honestly!

All three have experience at top levels (Minatel in the Portuguese Premier League!).

NASL is starting to show some real quality with the likes of Senna coming into the league.

Indianapolis has 7000 season ticket deposits in, for a team that starts playing next year!

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
He also played 2 games for Sunderland in the Barclay's Premier League.

Incredible signing. Shows what kind of class of play to expect. :handclap:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I was a volunteer last year for Ottawa Fury FC in the PDL, hoping to be one in the NASL next year.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Can't wait. It will be nice to have second division soccer in town. I didn't even think about the CONCACAF Champions Cup qualifying though until I saw this thread.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Can't wait. It will be nice to have second division soccer in town. I didn't even think about the CONCACAF Champions Cup qualifying though until I saw this thread.

If Ottawa ONLY makes it to the semis, it means Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps, and/or Montreal Impact visit town which in itself is a huge draw in my mind.

If they go past that....well, then we're facing the best clubs in the US and Mexico.

True world class competition. Arguably more prestigious from a global sports perspective than the Redblacks.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Just got my season tickets yesterday! Been waiting to see soccer like this in Ottawa since the Ottawa Intrepids folded in the old CSL. Technically, NASL is not really 2nd division. I actually wouldn't put it a whole step down from MLS... maybe half a step.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Just got my season tickets yesterday! Been waiting to see soccer like this in Ottawa since the Ottawa Intrepids folded in the old CSL. Technically, NASL is not really 2nd division. I actually wouldn't put it a whole step down from MLS... maybe half a step.

Definitely agreed. Marcos Senna playing for the New York Cosmos is one of the best known footballers in Spain and Europe. The league is far from the joke some make it out to be.

It needs expansion (which it is getting) and a little more money to become something almost on par with MLS.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Definitely agreed. Marcos Senna playing for the New York Cosmos is one of the best known footballers in Spain and Europe. The league is far from the joke some make it out to be.

It needs expansion (which it is getting) and a little more money to become something almost on par with MLS.

I was reading something the other day about linking NASL and NPSL about creating a relegation/promotion system. I think it's an interesting idea.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I was reading something the other day about linking NASL and NPSL about creating a relegation/promotion system. I think it's an interesting idea.

My dream scenario is for the winner of the NASL Soccer Bowl to be promoted to the MLS, while the worst regular season team in the MLS get's put down into NASL.

A similar promotion relegation system from NASL on down would be okay too but I think the MLS option opens so many possibilities for teams, plus increases the tension/excitement level of both leagues as teams that are clearly out of the playoffs/championship spots must still fight to stay out of the relegation zone.

I find it lends a whole new character to 'tanking' haha.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
My dream scenario is for the winner of the NASL Soccer Bowl to be promoted to the MLS, while the worst regular season team in the MLS get's put down into NASL.

A similar promotion relegation system from NASL on down would be okay too but I think the MLS option opens so many possibilities for teams, plus increases the tension/excitement level of both leagues as teams that are clearly out of the playoffs/championship spots must still fight to stay out of the relegation zone.

I find it lends a whole new character to 'tanking' haha.

There are issues here with the draft. The MLS get's the best draft players first, where does a first place NASL team draft? Where does the relegated MLS club draft? I agree it would be awesome but I dont think it's a scenario that's very likely for awhile.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Promotion and relegation is the best way to go but the biggest problem is that it currently costs $70 million to get a MSL franchise , and there is no way those teams will agree to be relegated to a second division or to the NASL, also if a team was promoted are they going to have to pay the $70 million fee?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Promotion and relegation is the best way to go but the biggest problem is that it currently costs $70 million to get a MSL franchise , and there is no way those teams will agree to be relegated to a second division or to the NASL, also if a team was promoted are they going to have to pay the $70 million fee?

Well theoretically, all the teams in both NASL and MLS would be playing in the same league. Any new team wanting to join via expansion would need to pay the $70 million (or whatever negotiated price it is) and then start in the NASL.

Anyways I agree there would be significant opposition in the MLS.

Regardless, we're almost guaranteed some good MLS-quality competition in the Voyageur's Cup. I'm really looking forward to those games in particular.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
remember all the home games in the spring season are at Carleton U. so capacity is about 5000 i think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad