OT: Orange County [FL] approves funding for Orlando City downtown soccer stadium

gelu88

Sep 12, 2011
Brossard, QC
I didn't see an existing thread anywhere, I figure this needed the attention.

MLS and ownership should finalize the franchise agreement in 4-6 weeks, which should basically be a formality. The $70 million expansion fee has already been agreed on.

Public funding for the soccer stadium breaks down like this: the $20 million in tourist taxes approved Tuesday; $20 million from Orlando; and smaller amounts from other jurisdictions, including $2 million from Seminole County.

The team would kick in $30 million toward construction and pay $675,000 a year for the next 25 years. The city would convert the annual payments into $10 million that could be used upfront for construction.

There were other winners from Tuesday night's vote. The soccer funding is part of a larger, $94.5 million venues package.

Besides soccer, it includes $25 million to help complete the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts; $12 million more for the $191 million Florida Citrus Bowl renovation that starts in January; $27.5 million for more international- and sports-tourism ads; and $10 million in additional convention-center upgrades.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ccer-club-orlando-ballet-orlando-philharmonic

It's interesting to note that OCSC is in the rare position to face practically no competition for it's product for most of its season.

It has the corporate support of the Orlando Magic, whose season starts just as the MLS season ends. And regionally it only competes with the troubled Tampa Bay Rays until football season starts.

Of course skepticism is warranted, based on the past history of non-football sports in Florida, but the level of support the team has gotten at lower divisions suggests a better outcome.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I didn't see an existing thread anywhere, I figure this needed the attention.

MLS and ownership should finalize the franchise agreement in 4-6 weeks, which should basically be a formality. The $70 million expansion fee has already been agreed on.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ccer-club-orlando-ballet-orlando-philharmonic

It's interesting to note that OCSC is in the rare position to face practically no competition for it's product for most of its season.

It has the corporate support of the Orlando Magic, whose season starts just as the MLS season ends. And regionally it only competes with the troubled Tampa Bay Rays until football season starts.

Of course skepticism is warranted, based on the past history of non-football sports in Florida, but the level of support the team has gotten at lower divisions suggests a better outcome.

It's worth mentioning that MLS is considering moving to a late July/early August to May schedule, with a 6-8 week winter break.

gelu88

Sep 12, 2011
Brossard, QC
It's worth mentioning that MLS is considering moving to a late July/early August to May schedule, with a 6-8 week winter break.

No its not. That was an unsourced rumor alongside a league survey.

While the league has "considered" such a move every year from when the league began, there is no evidence that its a serious consideration.

Montreal's Joey Saputo had a press conference last week and was asked about it. He said that at the last Board meeting the issue was raised and "several owners" including him found it ridiculous. There are a multitude of reasons why its not a serious proposal at this time.

For the best sumary of all the issues involved, read this piece by Philly.com's Johnathan Tannenwald. He wrote it up after the most recent rumors.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...knocks-down-latest-winter-schedule-rumor.html

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Being there are at least three Orange Countys in the US (California, Florida and New York), I've edited the title to include the state.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
This was basically a foregone conclusion, along with an eventual Miami team. The real debate is who will get the last team in MLS' four team expansion.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This was basically a foregone conclusion, along with an eventual Miami team. The real debate is who will get the last team in MLS' four team expansion.

I thought it was 5, going up to 24.

- NYC
- Orlando
- Miami

Aren't there 2 left? Who am I missing?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

- NYC
- Orlando
- Miami

Apparently, Atlanta has a very strong bid via Arthur Blank and is expected to get one the spots.

Other cities in the mix are San Antonio, Minneapolis/St. Paul and I beleive Sacramento.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Haven't we already learned that professional sports does not do well in Florida unless it's the NFL or Tampa Bay Lightnings. Both MLB teams should be moved out of the state and the two original MLS teams folded. Bad idea .

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Miami getting another MLS team is going to be a huge mistake...but, hey, Beckham...

I think the MLS can and will work in Orlando, though, but only if the MLS sticks to the current schedule (which I think they will...an Autumn/Spring schedule would be murder on too many teams).

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Miami getting another MLS team is going to be a huge mistake...but, hey, Beckham...

I think the MLS can and will work in Orlando, though, but only if the MLS sticks to the current schedule (which I think they will...an Autumn/Spring schedule would be murder on too many teams).

Miami the city has too much going for it that another sport in the area will just be even worse.

If it was my money, I'd be putting it into the Orlando team over Miami.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

- NYC
- Orlando
- Miami

Apparently, Atlanta has a very strong bid via Arthur Blank and is expected to get one the spots.

Other cities in the mix are San Antonio, Minneapolis/St. Paul and I beleive Sacramento.

Courtemanche interview awhile back tipping their hand regarding expansion (autopod/mp3)

http://t.co/AK4hejDP97

Also a couple of items that somewhat let the cat outta the bag awhile back

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=49451

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=49378

Both DOA after committee review but pop-goes-the-weasel nonetheless

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think Miami could do well with a team in MLS 2.0 provided that they target the right groups... if the team heavily emphasizes South American talent, there's a built in fanbase.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Miami could do well with a team in MLS 2.0 provided that they target the right groups... if the team heavily emphasizes South American talent, there's a built in fanbase.

If baseball can't tap the Cuban/DR/Venezuelan/PR market in Miami for a success, I don't see how an MLS can do a better job.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
Haven't we already learned that professional sports does not do well in Florida unless it's the NFL or Tampa Bay Lightnings. Both MLB teams should be moved out of the state and the two original MLS teams folded. Bad idea .

Truer words have never been spoken!!! If there were ever a State fuller of Pro Fair Weather Fans I never saw it. I lived there for 10 Years. If the team is not winning. People are not going. This is a College Sports State. Too many fans from some where else. Just before I move I went to a Jacksonville vs New England Game in Jacksonville. more than half the stadium was full of Patriot Fans. I thought I was in back in Foxbough Stadium. (Really). How bout the Rays this year in the hunt for the Pennant. They Could Not Draw Fly's . Never mind the Marlins. Say what You will about the Coyotes. But if ever a team should have been Moved To Canada Years Ago, It Should Have Been The Panther!!!! This Team should be in QC.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
If baseball can't tap the Cuban/DR/Venezuelan/PR market in Miami for a success, I don't see how an MLS can do a better job.

Age of the fans being chased... the Marlins were trying to rope in people who'd been Yankees/Mets/etc. fans for 30 years.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The Fusion played in Fort Lauderdale. That's not the way to target the fan bases you might want.

The problem is that the Dolphins Stadium and FIU are in a similar boat... a little closer to that fan base, but not close enough.

There's some "to good to be true" rumors of an Italian billionaire trying to work his way in, promising to fund a South Beach or Downtown stadium. Waiting to see... and I'm not sure what's up with that. I think Becks is trying to work with money people who can provide a stadium, except it seems he's now trying to partner with the Dolphins, and I think that may not end well.

Vieille Barbe

Radko's Modern Life
Apr 6, 2012
Hockey Paradise

Agreed that the two Florida MLB teams appear marginal at best, but the MLS teams were different as night and day. While the Miami franchise struggled, the Tampa Bay Mutiny were extremely well supported and near the top of the league in attendance, but were contracted purely because of the stadium problem.

When the league sought ownership for the Tampa franchise there was plenty of interest, including from the late George Steinbrenner, whose Yankee spring training ballpark is right across the street from the stadium. However the stadium lease was a deal-breaker, as no prospective ownership could find a way to make the numbers work.

The team was paying rent, for a publicly tax financed stadium, to the Buccaneer ownership, who also got to keep the parking and concessions revenues from the soccer games. There was a real effort by Steinbrenner and public officials to get the stadium deal re-negotiated for the sake of saving what was otherwise a very viable Mutiny team, but the Glazers would not concede anything. At that point the league had no option but to fold the team.

For this I hope the Glazers rot in sports hell, and will not support the Bucs in any way (but in the interest of full disclosure, I was a Dolphins fan before the NFL granted a franchise to Tampa, and remained a Dolphins afterward).

Last edited:

smitter88

Jul 12, 2011
The only real question is will this be a Jags level failure or all out Rays level disaster?

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The Fusion played in Fort Lauderdale. That's not the way to target the fan bases you might want.

The problem is that the Dolphins Stadium and FIU are in a similar boat... a little closer to that fan base, but not close enough.

There's some "to good to be true" rumors of an Italian billionaire trying to work his way in, promising to fund a South Beach or Downtown stadium. Waiting to see... and I'm not sure what's up with that. I think Becks is trying to work with money people who can provide a stadium, except it seems he's now trying to partner with the Dolphins, and I think that may not end well.

The issue is that Becks is in bed with the money guy who has a vested interest in FIU. Which is only an ok location, as you say. There are rumors of a disused Grapefruit League facility in South Beach that could be converted over, but that'd be a huge deal and I can't see the City of Miami Beach paying out for it.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Latin Americans already know baseball is 100-160 games anyway depending on if they are Latin leagues or MLB. The games are priced relatively anyway so I'm not buying this, especially since it already failed once recently.

What?

It's not about 'knowing' anything, it's about how many times an owner needs to fill a stadium.

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012
OCFC is going to be a slam dunk because from day one the goal has been to make this franchise become an MLS franchise. They started as a third-tier USL PRO team three years ago and they were already planning to make this jump to MLS a reality. Their grassroots support is enormous, they have the product, they have a solid foothold in their market (the Orlando Magic notwithstanding, though they are pretty abysmal right now), they are getting their own stadium built and they only have to account for filling 17 or so home dates for a team that is already on the rise. The city and its fans know what they are getting into because they have wanted it from the beginning. This is going to be a big success.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Orlando has massive local support. They drew over 20,000 people to the USL-Pro(a 3rd tier league) Championship game and have the strongest attendance outside of the MLS. Add in the fact that all teams moving up to the MLS have seen a sharp rise in average attendance OCSC should be perfectly fine. Also, Kaka knows the new owner of the team and he, along with OCSC, have pledged to make him their first Designated Player provided they get into the league by 2015, which they now will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad