OT: Orange County [FL] approves funding for Orlando City downtown soccer stadium

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
eh, I'd actually hope for St. Louis. They have a huge soccer fanbase there, and it's a head-scratcher that nobody's stepped forward as an interested owner there yet.

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
St. Louis doesn't have a lot of big money locals and there's very little hope of a stadium there ever.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
St. Louis doesn't have a lot of big money locals and there's very little hope of a stadium there ever.

They had land for it a few years ago. No idea if it was a good location, but they had it. Just no money.

Some owner is gonna get a good deal in a decade from now. Of all the remaining markets only San Diego would be close to St. Louis as far as desirable city for me.

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
San Diego is an awful sports market and "but Mexicans!" is a proven failure of a business strategy.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
San Diego is an awful sports market and "but Mexicans!" is a proven failure of a business strategy.

Have you ever been to San Diego? It is a very wealthy area... I'd say more Seattle then San Bernardino....especially if you start adding in areas like La Jolla and Del Mar. Thats not to say there aren't Mexican's...cause well it is California.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Is there not a FIFA rules that states a first/premier division cannot have more than 24 clubs? Or is MLS exempt from that since there's no promotion/relegation?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The only way San Diego gets a team is if it's Chivas USA relocating. I don't see three SoCal MLS teams being a thing when there are still big gaps in the map, something that is obviously driving this round of MLS expansion.

It's a wealthy area, but it's also a transient area. That's less of an issue in this sport than others to most fans (the Galaxy are the one LA team I can fully get behind), but when it comes to Latino fans Chivas proved that fans aren't going to change their loyalties.

Of course San Diego wouldn't be pulling the absurd marketing standpoint of their team being a minor league team for Spanish-speaking fans only.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
Is there not a FIFA rules that states a first/premier division cannot have more than 24 clubs? Or is MLS exempt from that since there's no promotion/relegation?

MLS will probably break this rule & won't care since they have teams in 2 countries(48 team limit??) instead of just one when they eventually move to 28 teams.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
there is not such law.

It's more of a recommendation and it's 20.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...ns-Extend-Beyond-Fifas-20-Team-Guideline.aspx

Expanding beyond 20 teams would be precedent-setting in the world of soccer. FIFA guidelines recommend that top-flight leagues limit their size to 20 teams to protect players from playing too many games. As a result, most MLS observers expected the league to replicate the 20-team structure established by elite international leagues like Spain’s La Liga, Italy’s Serie A and England’s Barclays Premier League. Instead, MLS executives appear intent on following an American sports league model and charting a course similar to the NBA, NHL and NFL.

FIFA Executive Committee member Chuck Blazer said MLS could expand beyond 20 teams while still upholding the goal of FIFA’s guidelines.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
As it says:
FIFA guidelines recommend that top-flight leagues limit their size to 20 teams to protect players from playing too many games

The amount of teams 'limit' is based on a single table play everyone twice structure. MLS doesn't use that. 24 teams sets up well to play 22 conference games, home and home with every team, and the 12 out of conference games, giving you the same 34 we have today.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I would be extremely surprised if MLS stopped at 24 teams. I bet the long-term goal (if there even is one) is 30-32 like the other major sports leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->