OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
It's a few years old but did you watch The Road? It was the first movie to really disturb me in a long time.

ooh good choice

for whats its worth, the book is much better and incidentally, far more disturbing. read it in a 7 hour long reading binge and spent about half the time either tearing up or just flat out crying like a strong masculine man. to make it worst, it made me borderline suicidal for the following week :(

screw you cormack

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Here is some "recent scary" movies that i enjoyed :

- The Conjuring (2013)
- The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
- I Saw the Devil (2010)
- The Chaser (2008)
- Let the Right One In (2008)
- The Mist (2007)
- The Orphanage (2007)
- [Rec] (2007)
- The Host (2006)
- The Descent (2005)

The Descent really creeped me out for some reason

You're left wondering what the hell is lurking in the shadows/caves the entire movie (Rather than being confronted with something nasty from the start)

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
Any suggestions for solid scary movies? I'm not talking about stuff like what's coming out today with crap like Anabelle or other ****. Nothing gorish too..not really into things that just try to be extra sadistic, it bores me more than anything.
Looking for some good old stressful scary movies...maybe they're more suspenseful thrillers like The Shining. First time I saw it I was stressed the whole movie. Just from the opening scene music was already putting you into a stressful vibe.

Any good stuff like that out there that's relatively new??

I liked Oculus and In Absentia by MIke Flanagan
Kairo (Pulse), by Kyoshi Kurosawa (the american remake was bad however)
Sakebi (Retribution), also by Kyoshi Kurosawa
Janghwa, Hongryeon (Tales of two sisters) Jee-woon Kim

Alex514

May 10, 2015
It Follows is super brooding and stressful if you want a good suspenseful horror.

Watched it the other day. Really weird. It had a few nice scenes but I could never really get into it. It's original tho, I'll give 'em that...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Try the modern remake of The Thing (2011), I loved it. It's actually the prequel to the original. Also see the original if you haven't lol.

The Mist (2007) is pretty good, also Stephen King..

Misery (1990), see above.
Misery is a classic. Such a good movie I found. I thought the thing was alright, but haven't seen the Mist. Thanks, I'll look into it!
Well I posted this earlier but We Are Still Here is a solid little indie gem. I also enjoyed You're Next and agree with most of Knackys' list.

Thanks!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Here is some "recent scary" movies that i enjoyed :

- The Conjuring (2013)
- The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
- I Saw the Devil (2010)
- The Chaser (2008)
- Let the Right One In (2008)
- The Mist (2007)
- The Orphanage (2007)
- [Rec] (2007)
- The Host (2006)
- The Descent (2005)

I saw the Devil looked really interesting. Not sure it's scary but I will definitely check it out!

Thanks for the list!

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
I saw the Devil looked really interesting. Not sure it's scary but I will definitely check it out!

Thanks for the list!

Your welcome.

Yes, that's why i have put "recent scary" between apostrophe (i don't know if this word exist in english). I guess what is recent and scary varies according to each person.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Which version did you watch?

The one about da Australian guy who gets a body of an alien. And then Sigourney Weaver dies and they cannot fuse the two bodies and you know they are gonna do the same with Australian guy and it's gonna work. And there's Evil army bad guys that shoot aliens and beautiful forest.

I'll gave them props for the Evil army guy and his body armor, that was sort of badass in a X-Men's Cable sort of way. But the story was so dumb and uninspired.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Those three, plus the Apes franchise reboot, Ex Machina, Snowpiercer, Interstellar, John Carter.

Apes are great but I was talking about new sci-fi. Machine I didn't see. Snowpiercer I liked but didn't like the ending. Interstellar I liked part of it but did not loved, it should have been great but somehow missed the mark in my book. It was the perfect example of the failings of modern sci-fi. But it's my problem with Nolan as a writer, it feels like overdone fanfics, of someone who's too in love with his ideas. That was a problem with DKR too.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The one about da Australian guy who gets a body of an alien. And then Sigourney Weaver dies and they cannot fuse the two bodies and you know they are gonna do the same with Australian guy and it's gonna work. And there's Evil army bad guys that shoot aliens and beautiful forest.

I'll gave them props for the Evil army guy and his body armor, that was sort of badass in a X-Men's Cable sort of way. But the story was so dumb and uninspired.

There is more character work in the extended edition of Avatar.

I have decent hope for the sequel. Three of the four scrernwriters he hired have a respectable track record.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Your welcome.

Yes, that's why i have put "recent scary" between apostrophe (i don't know if this word exist in english). I guess what is recent and scary varies according to each person.

Entre guillemets in english is quote unquote or so-called. ;)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Heaven needed characters.

Christopher Lee passes away and breaking, the great "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, dead at age 69.

TV & Film are mourning today.

One of the Greatest Monsters Icons Ever

christopherlee1a.jpg

Christopher-Lee-as-Dracula-christopher-lee-11461315-329-500.jpg

337bd8ffb415ae4b1cd52a204e6407d9.jpg

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Jurassic World was pretty disappointing, couldn't wait for it to be over. 5/10 at best. Guardian of the Galaxy guy was ok as the main actor.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
With Peter Cushing he WAS Dracula no question.

Yeah they were both good at the role , but Bela Lugosi lived it. Check out the original 1930's version. Also Boris Karloff's Frankenstein is a good flick for it's time, along with a few others like The Mummy and Creature from the black lagoon.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
There is more character work in the extended edition of Avatar.

I have decent hope for the sequel. Three of the four scrernwriters he hired have a respectable track record.

The problem is not the characters. Not even the overly simplified plot. A lot of good movies have incredibly simple, even simplistic plots.

The problem with Avatar, at least for me, was that the whole movie was 100% predictable. Predictable both in terms of overall plot, down to each and every sequence. You see the first 20 min. of the movie, you basically know what's gonna happen. But it works for the individual scenes, too! You see the first 20 sec. of a 3 min. sequence, and you know exactly what will happen.

It sort of killed it for me.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Jurassic World was pretty disappointing, couldn't wait for it to be over. 5/10 at best. Guardian of the Galaxy guy was ok as the main actor.

Going to see it on monday... JP (1) has been my childhood movie.. been disappointed for 2-3.

Was waiting for a good final.. Is it that bad?

Edit: On the radio they did a review and the guy couldn't even say one good thing about it

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Going to see it on monday... JP (1) has been my childhood movie.. been disappointed for 2-3.

Was waiting for a good final.. Is it that bad?

Edit: On the radio they did a review and the guy couldn't even say one good thing about it

Ya it was made for kids, fluff all the way. Felt like a forced remake or die hard or Indiana Jones. Don't expect a thriller like Mad Max. Plot was really predictable I saw it at Scotia banque Imax.

edit: just read this on another board

"That being said for those in Canada that are going to see it, got an email from Cineplex and if you collect scene points and go see this one and the new Terminator in IMAX you get 1,000 bonus scene points...so a free movie."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad