OT? Bon Jovi Banner to be Hung From ACC Rafters

Kessley Snipes*

Seriously guys, this occurs at nearly EVERY major sports arena that is worth something.

Madison Square Garden does it and the Rangers are an original 6 team as well.

Some of you are pathetic and simply complain for the sake of it.

8470782168_dc674614cf_z.jpg

I feel like I need to quote this again.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
A couple of points for the "why get up in arms with this?" crowd:

1) Leiweke has a previous (and pretty successful) relationship with Bon Jovi. AEG (and TL) promoted Bon Jovi concerts for a while: Link
Bon Jovi has also honoured Leiweke before: Link

2) The numbers in the article appear fishy to say the least (someone pointed this out on twitter - sorry for lack of credit). 600,000 tickets sold in 17 appearances? Do the math.

It sets a pretty poor precedent to be honouring non-athletes. It sets an even worse precedent to be honouring them based on your personal relationships, while at the same time working hard to strip down all reminders of the past for the team that helped build the arena in the first place.

I would just like to quote this post.

And the original article definitely does not preclude the possibility that this banner hangs in the rafters. It talks about a wall they plan on creating, and is incredibly vague on the details.

I thought Tim Leiweke was all about winning? Not using his new position to suck celebrity ass.

95761855-musician-jon-bon-jovi-and-honoree-aeg-president-wireimage.jpg

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:laugh: It's pretty funny the things that get people upset.

Heisenberg Blue*

:laugh: It's pretty funny the things that get people upset.

He is removing Canadian nostalgia and replacing it with American nostalgia whom he has personal relationships with. ACC is in Toronto, a city in Canada, owned by a Canadian company. So yes, it makes perfect sense to think removing Canadian content and replacing it with American content is ridiculous.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if he didn't make the previous move.. but now he is making this a big deal (Hall of Fame, and a Walk of Fame out front) - and making the centerpiece of it his American buddy.

Next up.. US National Anthem to be sung last in every game, including all-canada matchups.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Music being subjective is a beautiful thing isnt it?

Those banners are clearly for records that were set.

What record has Bon Jovi set? A dubious claim to 600K tickets sold?

As I saw on Twitter, Toronto band Rush has played MLG and the ACC a combined 31 times. The Tragically Hip played the first ever show at the ACC; hell they released a DVD concert entitled "That Night in Toronto".

At least if the artists has some local connection, as Billy Joel does to New York, it might make sense.

This is just a random artist (who just so happens to be a long time business partner of the new president) being honoured because they made alot of money.

When does Leiweke raise the banner to Styx and White Snake?

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
I checked the boxscores online. Bon Jovi has played 15 shows at the Air Canada Centre, in front of an estimated 226,900 people. This does not include the two shows scheduled in November.

If you want to honour the biggest entertainment draw at the ACC, fine, but just be aware someone like Justin Bieber could easily attain that number with relative ease. Lady Gaga, who's only played 6 shows at the ACC, is at 100k. If she played another 4 times at the ACC for her next tour like she did her last, suddenly she's in the 160K range. Somebody a lot more lame than Bon Jovi will eclipse that number, I promise.

Dumb idea.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
This thread is just another example of people roving the Internet looking for things to get outraged about.

But if people really don't like it, do something real like boycotting the ACC and all MLSE products, possibly all Bell and Rogers products. But complaining about it on the Internet does absolutely nothing.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This thread is just another example of people roving the Internet looking for things to get outraged about.

But if people really don't like it, do something real like boycotting the ACC and all MLSE products, possibly all Bell and Rogers products. But complaining about it on the Internet does absolutely nothing.

I already do. Any other suggestions?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Actually, complaining on the internet does alot. Especially when it comes to frivolous things like this. Complaining on the internet got Family Guy and Futurama back on TV.:nod:

SteveV*

It's so funny as well, because musically they are a black hole, 90 percent of the audience are just old cougars. Of all the shat bands to get a honour, Timmy is a real beauty!

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Took the wife to see him at the Dome a few years ago which was pretty much sold out.
Never seen so much Leopard skin in all my life.

Kid Rock opened so there was something for me and the other 4 or 5 guys there to watch.

I was at that one. :) Kid Rock was good, but Bon Jovi is the best band ever. Going next Friday.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
It's so funny as well, because musically they are a black hole, 90 percent of the audience are just old cougars. Of all the shat bands to get a honour, Timmy is a real beauty!

Numbers don't lie. They're one of the biggest bands ever. Plus, Toronto is like a 2nd home for them...they play here lots.

From Wiki:

They are one of the world’s best-selling bands of all time, having sold more than 130 million records worldwide,[4] and performed more than 2,700 concerts in over 50 countries for more than 34 million fans.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Actually, complaining on the internet does alot. Especially when it comes to frivolous things like this. Complaining on the internet got Family Guy and Futurama back on TV.:nod:

Weren't those actual complaints to the studios/networks that did that as opposed to random posts in discussion forums?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Weren't those actual complaints to the studios/networks that did that as opposed to random posts in discussion forums?

Well in fairness, actual money made from DVD sales certainly helped the cause. But regardless, the point stands. If MLSE and the Leafs receive unanimous disapproval, they will change course. Nobody likes bad press, regardless how much money they make no matter what.

Though I suspect (and sincerely hope) that this will all turn out to be nothing. It will just be a part of this 'Wall of Fame' they say they're building in the concourse and there will be no Bon Jovi tribute in the arena proper.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Numbers don't lie. They're one of the biggest bands ever. Plus, Toronto is like a 2nd home for them...they play here lots.

From Wiki:

They are one of the world’s best-selling bands of all time, having sold more than 130 million records worldwide,[4] and performed more than 2,700 concerts in over 50 countries for more than 34 million fans.

Madonna has sold 300 million albums. I'd hardly call her a particularly good singer/artist. She understands though that many people eat up made up controversy. Same thing Miley Cyrus recently sold the sheeple.

Feb 24, 2004
Music being subjective is a beautiful thing isnt it?

I don't agree with the rangers doing it either. But the poster has a point - billy Joel is an absolute icon in nyc. MSG has been around since he started playing, so it's a little more reasonable to honor him like that.

For some New Yorkers, billy Joel and MSG are synonymous. I doubt that the ACC and Bon Jovi are synonymous to many Torontonians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad