OT? Bon Jovi Banner to be Hung From ACC Rafters

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
What's so wrong with that number? Possibly a little high, but I'm guessing whoever on Twitter is forgetting that the floor is opened up for concerts, not just the lower- and upper-bowls.

I believe the capacity for concerts is still under 20,000 though.

Phelan

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The Raptors play as many games there each season as the Leafs do (not counting playoffs) so how is it still mainly a hockey rink?

It was the Raptors who were the ones that originally built it too. The Leafs at one point were threatening to build one across the road from it.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
True, and it was mentioned he's (only?) sold out 5 of those shows, not all 17.

He has sold out a lot more than five of them. The five were mentioned because they were on one tour and thus set a record.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
This is pretty awful and kind of funny, but i dont look at the rafters anyways on TV and the rare leaf game i go to

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He has sold out a lot more than five of them. The five were mentioned because they were on one tour and thus set a record.

Took the wife to see him at the Dome a few years ago which was pretty much sold out.
Never seen so much Leopard skin in all my life.

Kid Rock opened so there was something for me and the other 4 or 5 guys there to watch.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Bon Jovi is going to be hung from the banners? Seems a little extreme but whatever, I wonder if there is room for Miley Cyrus?

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
The Raptors play as many games there each season as the Leafs do (not counting playoffs) so how is it still mainly a hockey rink?

I'll agree and state that I probably should have said sports arena. The Leafs do still get schedule priority, though, as far as I know.

But regardless, I'm sure few would disagree that it's still not a place where musicians should be honoured.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Not a fan of Mr. Bon Jovi but I also could care less what they hang from whatever. It's not like it's sacred terittory or anything. Until the Leafs and/or Raptors win a championship in this building and create some history, it's just a large sports and entertainment venue.

serdy

Aug 10, 2005
Indeed

I remember watching Jon Bonjovi and Aldo Nova back in 84 on the overnight music video show City Limits playing table hockey against Teenage Head. Back when music was played with guitars and drums and not computers

You are aware that the 80's are pretty much defined by "computer" music, right? The synthesizers used by a ridiculous amount of 80's rock and pop bands, including Bon Jovi, are computers.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'll agree and state that I probably should have said sports arena. The Leafs do still get schedule priority, though, as far as I know.

But regardless, I'm sure few would disagree that it's still not a place where musicians should be honoured.

Why shouldn't musicians be honoured there? Large arenas are designed to host concerts as well as sporting events.

Feb 24, 2004
Why shouldn't musicians be honoured there? Large arenas are designed to host concerts as well as sporting events.

In my opinion, the "rafters" of buildings that hold sporting events should be reserved for banners displaying the accomplishments and history of the teams that play inside. It's partly for historical purposes (one day I'll sit and point out each banner to my kid for example), and partly to recognize that people sit in that building rooting for the home team to succeed (and banners are a measurement of that success). No one is sitting in a building rooting for Bon Jovi to sell 600,000 fake tickets (unless you're the band).

Heisenberg Blue*

American becomes CEO of MLSE.

Removes Maple Leaf nostalgia.

Starts up ACC Hall of Fame.

First member American.

:shakehead

Everyone should be tweeting their displeasure with the #BonJoviACC17 that MLSE just started up a few minutes ago.

Kessley Snipes*

Seriously guys, this occurs at nearly EVERY major sports arena that is worth something.

Madison Square Garden does it and the Rangers are an original 6 team as well.

Some of you are pathetic and simply complain for the sake of it.

8470782168_dc674614cf_z.jpg

Fabulous

Life & Death
May 13, 2013
Canada
Seriously guys, this occurs at nearly EVERY major sports arena that is worth something.

Madison Square Garden does it and the Rangers are an original 6 team as well.

Some of you are pathetic and simply complain for the sake of it.

8470782168_dc674614cf_z.jpg

Those are some ugly looking banners. I could've made that.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
This is absolutely disgusting. It offends me as a Leaf fan, as a music fan, and as a Canadian.

Take down the tributes to old Stanley Cup champions and replace them with tributes to an old washed up band from New Jersey?

:shakehead

What a disgrace.

The spice Girls aren't going up.

Seriously people. READ THE ARTICLE.

But why shouldn't they? If that is what this organization is doing now, raising banners for corny musical acts that sell alot of tickets, why shouldn't the Spice Girls and Justin Beiber be next?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad