Confirmed with Link: Oskar Sundqvist re-signs: 4 years, 2.75 AAV

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Wow! That is a great deal for the blues, 4 years is longer than I thought he would get but there cap hit is a bit lower then I figured

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
giphy.gif

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Longer than I was expecting, but I am ok with that. Especially with the AAV being that low.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wow, that sounds like a steal.

I predicted he’d get 2.5 over 1 or 2 years. So to only go a little higher on that for 4 years is great value.

He’s a guy that can do a little bit of everything. Very happy to have him in the fold long term! Let’s go Sunny!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sunny signing on a SUNday is peak Oskar.

That’s just a clutch move right there.

He wins Cups. He signs deals on his favorite day of the week.

You can’t teach that type of mentality. This guy just gets it.

Bluenatic

Fresh start
Aug 13, 2010
STL
A steal....excellent job DA

He and Barbie are key. They do so much for this team but don’t live in the linelight.
Totally agree AM. Was just telling my bro the exact same thing. 100% balls to the wall players that are important for a team to go far. I love this signing and hope Barby is extended as well

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Giving this much term to a relatively unproven guy like Sundqvist is a risk, but I think it is a risk that will pay off. This is not a 4th liner's contract and hopefully it signals the end of his time on the 4th line. I think Sundqvist can be an above-average 3rd liner and provide value on both the PK and PP throughout this contract.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Man I was just off in $$ but way off on length. Kinda surprised, but it's a nice deal.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
So 4.37 left for Barbie and Edmundson? Usually don't want to go to max right away....so someone getting dealt?
Cap only counts the 23 players on the team. Cap hit websites are currently counting pouliot and schmaltz when neither player would be on our roster so their cap hits wouldnt count against our salary cap so we have more room than what it shows

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I am thrilled with this deal. If he can continue to play like last season then we got a great deal. He’s the best 4th liner in the game in my opinion. I thought it would take more money to sign him. I’ll take it.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The 4 year term allows Sundqvist to guarantee career earnings over 10M and lets the Blues enjoy his prime years at a more affordable cap hit. Win-win deal. Maybe he could get more on short contracts angling for free agency, but when you’re happy somewhere and find a good fit with the role you’re given, it’s not wise to fritter that away without a really good reason.

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Meh...overpayment in my opinion. Not crippling obviously, but shocked he’s getting almost $3M/yr. This could look like another Sobotka deal if the physicality takes a toll on Sunny’s body and he lose that element. Glad he’s back...but I think this is a win for the player’s agent, and gift from Army.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
No because Pouliot and Schmaltz will be sent down and that creates 1.4M space.

Is that how it works? I thought if they were 1way contracts they still counted against the cap even if they get sent down. Asking honestly.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Meh...overpayment in my opinion. Not crippling obviously, but shocked he’s getting almost $3M/yr. This could look like another Sobotka deal if the physicality takes a toll on Sunny’s body and he lose that element. Glad he’s back...but I think this is a win for the player’s agent, and gift from Army.
The difference is Sobotka lost effectiveness at age 30.

At Sunny’s age, he was a valuable player. And Sundqvist is much bigger than him.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Is that how it works? I thought if they were 1way contracts they still counted against the cap even if they get sent down. Asking honestly.
Something like the first 1M of minor league contracts is shielded from affecting the Cap. You can’t hide a large contract there, but the full amounts of those Blues’ players will be affected.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I don’t think 14 goals and 30+ points is going to be the norm for Sunny given his role and general talent level, but it doesn’t really need to be for this to be a fine deal. He’s valuable as a checker/energy guy and does great work on the PK. Also could be an interesting target for Seattle in a couple years. I love Sunny went from expendable 14th forward over last summer to a core member of a Cup champ roster. Seems like such a great guy too. Good for him for cashing in and securing his family’s financial future. He earned it big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad