Confirmed with Link: Oskar Sundqvist re-signs: 4 years, 2.75 AAV

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
Most improved player on the Blues after Binnington. Don't rest on your laurels.

Thomas was right there also. Like to see that in our young guys.

Barby needs to be rewarded also.

These guys make the game fun to watch for me.

Reflects not only on them as individuals and team players but some leadership somewhere.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Out of curiosity, how many RFA years did Sunny have left?

Overall, I think it's a solid contract, it's 250k higher than I figured he'd get, but it's worth it for the term if he can continue to be a rock solid guy in the bottom 6.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Is that how it works? I thought if they were 1way contracts they still counted against the cap even if they get sent down. Asking honestly.
1 way just means you make the same salary whether in majors or minors, players on 2 way contracts make less than nhl minimum when in minors.

When in minors, cap hits are protected for up to the nhl minimum salary + 375,000(currently 1,075,000, but it goes up with the rising of nhl minimum salary). So any player making less than that amount doesnt count against cap at all.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If Sunny plays like he did in the second half of the season and into the playoffs for at least three of the four years this will be good. But, the question I ask is will he do that? Was last year the representative set of what we will see? Will it be closer to the year prior or somewhere in between?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
A little high but nothing crazy. I thought it would be around 2. I love the player and I’m thrilled he’s back but was he really THAT good?

Welcome back Sunny.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Guys like Sundqvist, Barbashev, Blais and Bortuzzo were heart and soul players in the Finals. I see them as guys that realize they’ll never be stars in the league. But they could taste the Cup and the prospect of hockey immortality. I love seeing role players elevate their games to their own version of elite play.

Barbashev and Sundqvist in particular were dependable warriors. I loved the reactions from both guys in the Cup award ceremony. There were no passengers on that roster top to bottom. For the rest of his career, Sundqvist will know that he was a part of an effective line on a Cup champion. And he knows he has the toughness to do what he has to to win in the playoffs.

I love the Blues being able to lock up a guy like that as a support player through his prime at a very reasonable salary.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
A little high but nothing crazy. I thought it would be around 2. I love the player and I’m thrilled he’s back but was he really THAT good?

Welcome back Sunny.

I think he was the plus/minus leader in the playoffs on the Blues. And his absence is felt so I’d say yeah, he’s a priority.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
If Sunny plays like he did in the second half of the season and into the playoffs for at least three of the four years this will be good. But, the question I ask is will he do that? Was last year the representative set of what we will see? Will it be closer to the year prior or somewhere in between?

I’m thinking he will do it again. I’m surprised at how rock solid he was. I’d argue he brought it almost every game, even in the 1st half & that he was 2nd only to ROR in terms of being consistently solid in effort and results when things were going so poorly.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
A lot of people are asking this question but I think it’s being way overblown. The year prior, he was 23 years old. Lots of guys at that age aren’t ready to produce in the NHL yet.

He was a fairly well regarded prospect in the Penguins system. He just finally bloomed at the age of 24.

I don’t think it’s really as abnormal as a lot of people seem to think. It’s just development.

Welcome back Sunny.
Yes. At the beginning of the season he was up there after O’Reilly when it came to our best players and pretty much everyone else sucked.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I LOVE THIS DEAL!

Even if Sunny never hits 30+ points again, the impact he has on the game from a defensive standpoint is enormous. Happy this deal got done.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I LOVE THIS DEAL!

Even if Sunny never hits 30+ points again, the impact he has on the game from a defensive standpoint is enormous. Happy this deal got done.

Yeah, they were actively looking to match his line up against some of the best lines in hockey. That’s not something I could have imagined before the season, but that’s what happened.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, they were actively looking to match his line up against some of the best lines in hockey. That’s not something I could have imagined before the season, but that’s what happened.
Not only did they match up against the top lines in the league, Oskar and co. 100% shut them down. Not a coincidence.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The contract length is great! The AAV is... a looot higher than I would have offered. Very happy to have him around for awhile, but that value is going to be an issue moving forward. In other words, we just overrated our most underrated player.

Bye bye Maroon, and probably goodbye Schenn.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The contract length is great! The AAV is... a looot higher than I would have offered. Very happy to have him around for awhile, but that value is going to be an issue moving forward. In other words, we just overrated our most underrated player.

Bye bye Maroon, and probably goodbye Schenn.
If you're scoring 30+ points you're not getting signed for much less than that.

Do you not remember when we were paying Patrik Berglund 3.9 mil for 35 points? 2.75 for Oskar is nowhere near overpaid.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Good move Doug.

Sunnys improvement was so integral to this season.

He was a guy preseason I was fine with them waiving. My god was I wrong and gladly so. Guy did it all this year. Not at a crazy high level, but he was effective in every role and paired with Barbie were anchors to our PK.

No doubt those two can be solid third liners, however they thrive on the 4th line playing a heavy game. Either way, lock Barbie up now too.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
His talents have even caught the eye of former teammate Sidney Crosby, says Blues broadcaster Joey Vitale. Also a former teammate of Crosby, Vitale was talking with the two-time Hart Trophy winner back in October before Sundqvist returned from his injury.

"I told him, I think he's doing O.K. They aren't really sure what he is yet or what he isn't, I think they are going to slot him into the fourth line for a while," Vitale says. "And he said, 'Joe, we never should have gotten rid of this kid. This kid is unbelievable, wait until you see what this kid can do.' And man, in the last three or four weeks he's just done nothing but continue to improve, continue to mature.

"His speed is evident on the ice, he's a responsible two-way centerman. He's back-checking, he's chipping in offensivley, he's physical. He's one of the main reasons why our penalty kill is so good."

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Wow, absolutely amazing deal. Guy who only played toughest minutes at post-season, shutdown Scheifele line, shutdown Benn line, shutdown Couture line and shutdown Bergeron line.

One of my favourite player of Blues currently. Danton Heinen who got 2.8mill.$ x 2-years only could be comparable, but not any way near as good as Sundqvist. Heinen didn't play at all in PK and plays only wing.

I have to give full credit for Army. I thought Sundqvist term is going to start 3mil.$ and I predicted him to get 3.25$ x 2-years. Maybe I overvalue Sundqvist, but that guy is goldmine for us if he could just improve his faceoff skills. 47.0%, short sample. Regular season Sundqvist had 41.9%. Toughest competition and that high % at post-season is very good.

Sundqvist - Barbashev are currently NHL best shutdown forward duo. More than happy with this signing.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Fantastic signing. I was hoping for 3 years at roughly this price but figured that we wouldn't be able to keep the AAV under $3 mil on a 4 year deal. Glad to be wrong about that.

The term doesn't worry me even though this is his only season as an everyday guy. I'm not 100% confident that 30 points will be the norm for him, but I don't see him losing his defensive prowess. He's big enough that I don't think that his body will breakdown from playing a 100+ hit style during this contract and he does a lot of other things really well defensively that don't rely on physicality. His PK skills shouldn't deteriorate over this contract and his skating ability shouldn't deteriorate either. This will be a bit of an overpay if he is just a 20 point guy, but not by a huge margin. It's good value if he his a high-20s-to-low-30s point guy and amazing value if he takes another step and can be a 35-45 point 3C who is great defensively.

I view the risk here as very limited with a potential for it being a huge bargain. I think it is most likely that he doesn't improve much more offensive and the contract is just 'good' value, but I'm also very, very fine with that.

This is easily my favorite contract of the summer so far.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
A separate post to talk comparables. Here is every guy listed as a center with a cap hit of $2 mil to $3 mil:

Jay Beagle: $3 mil for another 3 years (this is year 2 of 4). Includes a 15 team no trade list (changes to 5 teams in the last 2 years)
Andreas Athanasiou: $3 mil for this season (this is year 2 of 2). He is still an RFA when it expires
Valtteri Filppula: $3 mil for the next 2 years (this is year 2 of 3). Full NTC this year, 8 team no trade list starting February 1 of 2021
Chris Tierny: $2.937 mil for this season (this is year 2 of 2)
Adam Lowry: $2.916 mil for the next 2 years (this is year 2 of 3)
Danton Heinen: $2.8 mil for the next 2 yeas (this is year 1 of 2). He is still an RFA when it expires
Erik Haula: $2.75 mil this year (this is year 3 of 3)
Riley Nash: $2.75 mil for the next 2 years (this is year 2 of 3)
Sunny: $2.75 mil for the next 4 years
Colin Wilson: $2.6 mil this year (1 year deal)
Scott Laughton: $2.3 mil for the next 2 years (this is year 1 of a 2 year deal)
Radek Faksa: $2.2 mil this year (this is year 3 of a 3 year deal). He will be an RFA when it expires
Trevor Lewis: $2 mil this year (year 4 of a 4 year deal)
Jordan Martinook: $2 mil for the next 2 years (first year of a 2 year deal)

A few takeaways:

1: AAVs starting with a 2 are somewhat rare for centers in the NHL. 11 guys league-wide, which is the lowest number of contracts for any range when you sort by million dollar increments. I was surprised by this so I drilled down a bit. There are 19 centers making $3-$3.99 mil, 13 centers making $4-$4.99 mil, 18 centers making $5-$5.99 mil, 15 centers making $6-$6.99 mil and 20 making $7+ mil. All told, that's 85 guys listed at center who make $3 mil or more. Obviously some of these guys play a good chunk of wing, but I would wager that these are offset by guys on ELCs who are playing top 6 minutes and will clearly make more than $3 mil on their 2nd contract. So anything less than $3 mil of a center is putting you at the very low end of a 3C or the very top end of 4C. Sunny is now in a 3 way tie as the 92nd highest paid center in the NHL and they will get bumped to 93rd whenever Point signs. With 31 NHL teams and 3 "top 9" center spots per team, that means that there are 93 top 9 center spots open in a completely healthy NHL. From a pure comparable outlook, $2.75 mil on a center means that you expect that center to be among the best 4th line centers in the league. Even with no improvement from Sunny, I think that's totally fair.

2: Excluding the contracts above that did not purchase UFA years, I like Sunny right now as much or more than everyone on that list except Haula. Not too shabby.

3: Jay Beagle and Trevor Lewis are the only other guys in that list on 4 year deals. Beagle parlayed a 22 point season and 7 point Cup run with Washington into that 4 year deal with Vancouver as a UFA. He'll be 36 when it expires. I'll take a 25 year old Sunny every day of the week over that contract. Lewis won 2 Cups with LA before signing his deal, hitting 20 points just once in 5 full NHL seasons before signing that deal. I think Sunny is a better player and played a bigger role on our Cup run than Lewis did on at least 1 of LA's 2 wins, but that is properly reflected by Sunny making an extra $750k per year. With that said, Lewis contributed 24 and 26 points the first 2 years of that deal and has been one of the better contracts in LA. He only had 12 points through 44 games this season and will be 33 when the contract expires.

After looking at these comparables, I like the contract even more than I did before. Even with no improvement and a touch of offensive regression, he will not be overpaid compared to the market. The only 'overpayment' potential will be that we could save some money by plugging in a younger player making less, but even a 15-20 point Sunny almost certainly will provide better PK and defensive play than a cheap replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad