Player Discussion Oskar Steen (4/10/22 re-signed 2 years, $800k/yr)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Cassidy is a good coach but isn't the right one for younger players trying to break into a Veteran team that is supposed to contend every year

This Cassidy stuff Is unwarranted IMO.

We will never agree on it.

No one here knows what he is asking of them in practice or on the bench and whether the players are responding or not. None of us.

And Cassidy doesn't have a say on who gets called up. That's the business side of the game. AHL staff have more say.

But let's blame the coach. It can't possibly have anything to do with the player.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

No one here knows what he is asking of them in practice or on the bench and whether the players are responding or not. None of us.

And Cassidy doesn't have a say on who gets called up. That's the business side of the game. AHL staff have more say.

But let's blame the coach. It can't possibly have anything to do with the player.
Well said Dom!

Reactions: hrdpuk

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

No one is asking him to be the GM, His players constantly open periods of games not ready to play and on most nights look lost in the D zone.

And that why coaches get fired

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
No one is asking him to be the GM, His players constantly open periods of games not ready to play and on most nights look lost in the D zone.

And that why coaches get fired

True, but many times players get lost in the D zone simply because they don't read and react properly as they've been instructed. That's why players get fired.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
True, but many times players get lost in the D zone simply because they don't read and react properly as they've been instructed. That's why players get fired.

For some players for for whatever reason, coaches are much harder on them...As many know, I was a big fan of Cehlarik. I followed him like a hawk. I can't tell you the number of times he would make the slightest of errors (errors often times repeated by his teammates) and he would be benched/sent down to Providence next day.

IMO a player of Cehlarik's skillset should have been coached differently. We see skilled players making mistakes and taking risks and being permitted to do so. It has to be within reason however some latitude and flexibility with some players would go a long way. For some reason Cassidy was coaching Cehlarik to be a third line player. A grinder. That was never his game. We see that now. The dude was excellent at the worlds and was tops SHL and KHL before being injured.

Reactions: HustleB

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
For some reason Cassidy was coaching Cehlarik to be a third line player. A grinder.
I don't think he was. Cassidy just wanted him to be able to not make what looked to be horrifically lazy plays that ended up resulting in odd man rushes. I don't think Cehlarik was lazy, rather he didn't have the brain to process the NHL game quickly enough.

Lots of people blamed his feet, his attitude or Cassidy, but when the guy has been in lesser leagues with the time to process that the NHL does not allow for, he has been excellent. Nobody's fault, just the way it is.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't think he was. Cassidy just wanted him to be able to not make what looked to be horrifically lazy plays that ended up resulting in odd man rushes. I don't think Cehlarik was lazy, rather he didn't have the brain to process the NHL game quickly enough.

Lots of people blamed his feet, his attitude or Cassidy, but when the guy has been in lesser leagues with the time to process that the NHL does not allow for, he has been excellent. Nobody's fault, just the way it is.

Cehlarik was never given the opportunity to leverage is skillset...and that is obvious when you see what Cehlarik has accomplished since leaving the team.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Cehlarik was never given the opportunity to leverage is skillset...and that is obvious when you see what Cehlarik has accomplished since leaving the team.
Did he not spend time wit Krejci?

How many practices did you attend where he was told to do x and y yet he couldn't get it?

Look, I get it, you're a fan. But his lack of success in the NHL is on him not Cassidy.

And when he accomplishes what he does in Europe in the NHL, then I will become a supporter.

He is just not an NHL player. 30 teams could have had him for next to nothing. There were no takers.

But that's on Cassidy right?

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

How many practices did you attend where he was told to do x and y yet he couldn't get it?

Look, I get it, you're a fan. But his lack of success in the NHL is on him not Cassidy.

And when he accomplishes what he does in Europe in the NHL, then I will become a supporter.

He is just not an NHL player. 30 teams could have had him for next to nothing. There were no takers.

Cehlarik spent the vast majority of his NHL time on a line with Krejci, and a significant portion of that was with Pasta on the opposite wing (Debrusk was the other winger he spent a lot of time with). I have no idea what opportunities anyone could possibly think he was denied. He got top 6 opportunities and was mediocre. This was during a time when guys like Backes, Spooner, Kuhlman, etc were the other wing options, and he still couldn't stick or stand out.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He did and played well but wasn't very long before he was Cassified.
I was not there however by all accounts he was praised for his on/off efforts conditioning etc...
I agree but Cassidy certainly didn't help his cause.
I hope he get's another opportunity.
IMO partially on Cassidy.
See above I saw some really good things early on but that all but disappeared with less ice time and less confidence.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Steen deserve a chance
There is no chance of scoring on the bottom 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad