Lindblom Oskar Lindblom Thread: 20-21 Masterton Trophy Winner (9/24/21 Scan - Cancer Free)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is very cursory on my part and in no way do I want to relate it to Oskar Lindblom's current situation, but the CBA does have language pertaining to career ending disability benefits. Part of the payment is based on age. In so many words, the younger the player the more money he is compensated. He would also receive more (or less) money depending on the type of injury (paralysis compared to say the loss of a hand). There is a time lapse of at least a year that would determine whether he is considered disabled, again depending on the situation. Now this is where it can get tricky and simply I am not stating that this is obligatory but if the player receives a payment for health benefits he would relinquish the right to seek additional compensation from the club, the NHL, the NHLPA or associates of those.

Where this stands and how it relates to Lindblom is speculation at this point and would be haphazard to guess.

Given the Flyer organization's history, I'm sure they'll take care of him.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
At its very best, the main board is a toxic wasteland.

cAFOwQ3.gif

And no, that is not really a joke. A lot of really angry, sad, and pathetically unaware individuals there (and to be fair, on FB, Instagram, the the rest of anti-social media). F'em

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
If Lindblom wins the vote he gets replaced with the Flyers rep. Simple solution.

The internet made John Scott a captain and MVP. f*** anyone who thinks voting Oskar is a bad thing.

Didn't Boyle get in after beating cancer?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
‘This was the best day.’ Oskar Lindblom visits Flyers teammates after cancer diagnosis

PHILADELPHIA — It’s been the week from hell.

Two more Flyers lost to injury, another suspended, an 0-3 record on the road all seemed a bit inconsequential after what happened last Tuesday.

Oskar Lindblom flew to Denver with his Flyers teammates and when they landed he had gotten word from doctors at the University of Pennsylvania that he had been diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. The Swedish left wing was shellshocked and so were his teammates.

Tuesday, before playing the Anaheim Ducks, he was back in the locker room to wish them well before he gets tested at Penn this week to determine what treatment he will have.

“It’s been tough. It’s been a tough week. A 23-year-old kid,” president and general manager Chuck Fletcher said, getting choked up. “It’s been tough for all of us. Today I think was great because he left Denver and probably didn’t get a chance to say goodbye to everybody there before he left. Everyone’s concerned. This transcends hockey. He’s here, getting great care. I suspect our energy level will be pretty good here.”

I withdraw my complaints about Chuck knowingly going on this road trip with 11 healthy forwards and 6 healthy d-men.

Kinda wild that they gave that news to Oskar over the phone, but I guess they didn't have any other option since he did travel.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
‘This was the best day.’ Oskar Lindblom visits Flyers teammates after cancer diagnosis

I withdraw my complaints about Chuck knowingly going on this road trip with 11 healthy forwards and 6 healthy d-men.

Kinda wild that they gave that news to Oskar over the phone, but I guess they didn't have any other option since he did travel.

Which explains my hesitance in our original conversation. I guess Hagg "being with him" must have been when as the medical personnel explained the news via phone. I think a patient has that right to hear news immediately but I sense that he wanted to hear it right away rather than endure a 4-hour flight of anxiety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad