Lindblom Oskar Lindblom Thread: 20-21 Masterton Trophy Winner (9/24/21 Scan - Cancer Free)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is terrible, I have his game worn Brynäs jersey and I am a big fan :-( I want to ask a practical question. What happens if Lindblom survives but can never play in the NHL again? He is in his last year of a $925,000 contract. RFA after this season. Does he have some kind of insurance that covers him? Or is he out of income after this season?

This is very cursory on my part and in no way do I want to relate it to Oskar Lindblom's current situation, but the CBA does have language pertaining to career ending disability benefits. Part of the payment is based on age. In so many words, the younger the player the more money he is compensated. He would also receive more (or less) money depending on the type of injury (paralysis compared to say the loss of a hand). There is a time lapse of at least a year that would determine whether he is considered disabled, again depending on the situation. Now this is where it can get tricky and simply I am not stating that this is obligatory but if the player receives a payment for health benefits he would relinquish the right to seek additional compensation from the club, the NHL, the NHLPA or associates of those.

Where this stands and how it relates to Lindblom is speculation at this point and would be haphazard to guess.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Reminds me of when Koivu was diagnosed with Cancer. I lived near Montreal at the time and that news was known even among people who didn't follow hockey. At that point nobody cares about hockey and just wishes the player survives and lives a normal life. Yet Saku came back with an amazing season one year after and had a brillant career and is fully healthy now. Hopefully the same happens with Oskar.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This "Fly or Die" slogan was always clumsy at best. It really, really has to go now. I'm not being glib - it's just not right at all.

Im really not a PC kind of guy but I tend to agree.

It must will be weird for the players if this slogan will be thrown up on the jumbo screen. I’d respect the Flyers more if they stopped using it. Think the players would too.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Just leave the god damn main board to turn a thread of positive thoughts and good sentiment into a train wreck. Jesus Christ almighty.
I just saw that the thread was cleaned up but I could see some replies that made me think people were of course being disgusting. What kind of negative comments could people possibly have posted about this?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Agreed, I'm just trying to think of what kind of negative comments someone could possibly post about a person being diagnosed with cancer. I'm assuming it was some kind of shot at Philly and how the fans somehow deserve it or something?

It was due to a poster not having any idea what was going on with Lindblom and thought it was ridiculous that there was a John Scott/Rory Fitzpatrick type movement to get a guy like Lindblom voted into the All Star Game.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It was due to a poster not having any idea what was going on with Lindblom and thought it was ridiculous that there was a John Scott/Rory Fitzpatrick type movement to get a guy like Lindblom voted into the All Star Game.
Ahh ok. I can forgive someone for just being dumb and unaware. I'm glad it wasn't someone just being a dick about cancer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad