Oskar Lindblom - LW - 6'0" - 185 - Brynas Jr. Sweden Jr. - 2014 pick (5-138)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, I think Simmonds is faster than Giroux right now.

There was a time at the start of the 13-14 season when I thought Wayne had forgotten how to skate entirely, but that was just a weird month in general.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Simmonds is ungainly... but he is pretty fast.

He came 2nd place in the OHL's fastest skater back in the day.

14.368... and he forgot to cross-over properly on his 2nd turn from watching it! He just glided round.

That is a pretty fast time under the old format.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Simmonds' straight-line speed certainly exceeds Giroux's. Giroux isn't any faster than Cousins.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Compared to whom?
Voracek and Konecny could skate circles around him.
I think Giroux could beat him, and certainly Raffl.
Simmonds is faster than Schenn or Couts but not by a huge margin.

So what's fast?

What channel do you watch your games on?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Back to Lindblom anyway.

Apparently as well as PP1 he has been practising at RW on the 1st line too alongside Omark and Ryno. http://bloggar.expressen.se/ek/2016/12/ryno-om-farjestads-svacka/

That is pretty awesome. First time he has gone to national team duty and he has shown enough they have pencilled him in for a big role seemingly (though two forwards, Rosen and Kempe, have not reported yet due to club games.)

Also in relation to the Flyers he said the other day that he wants to play in the NHL next season: http://hockeybladet.nu/landslag/oskar-lindblom-gor-landslagsdebut-jag-vill-till-nhl/

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Compared to whom?
Voracek and Konecny could skate circles around him.
I think Giroux could beat him, and certainly Raffl.
Simmonds is faster than Schenn or Couts but not by a huge margin.

So what's fast?

You are off your rocker.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Simmonds may be faster than Giroux (who I'm afraid may have lost a stride) but he's not as fast as Raffl, who's very underrated, look at some of Raffl's breakaways - if only he had the offensive skills to go with his size and speed. Simmonds just doesn't look fast, maybe it's his funky skating that throws me off.

If Lindblom skates like Schenn, they need a 3rd line center between them with some speed, Schenn isn't slow, but in today's NHL he's probably too slow for center and if he's at RW, you want someone on that line who can keep up with the speed merchants coming into the league. That would actually be a nice trio, Lindblom working the boards, Schenn sniping from the right circle, and a fast playmaker to fill out the line.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Simmonds may be faster than Giroux (who I'm afraid may have lost a stride) but he's not as fast as Raffl, who's very underrated, look at some of Raffl's breakaways - if only he had the offensive skills to go with his size and speed. Simmonds just doesn't look fast, maybe it's his funky skating that throws me off.

Bro, you are giving me brain damage.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If Lindblom skates like Schenn, they need a 3rd line center between them with some speed, Schenn isn't slow, but in today's NHL he's probably too slow for center and if he's at RW, you want someone on that line who can keep up with the speed merchants coming into the league. That would actually be a nice trio, Lindblom working the boards, Schenn sniping from the right circle, and a fast playmaker to fill out the line.

All of these words come together to form a paragraph of lies lol

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Back to Lindblom anyway.

Apparently as well as PP1 he has been practising at RW on the 1st line too alongside Omark and Ryno. http://bloggar.expressen.se/ek/2016/12/ryno-om-farjestads-svacka/

That is pretty awesome. First time he has gone to national team duty and he has shown enough they have pencilled him in for a big role seemingly (though two forwards, Rosen and Kempe, have not reported yet due to club games.)

Also in relation to the Flyers he said the other day that he wants to play in the NHL next season: http://hockeybladet.nu/landslag/oskar-lindblom-gor-landslagsdebut-jag-vill-till-nhl/

I think I read that in Isaac's piece that Hextall was ok with him staying there for now, but kind of said, at some point you gotta come over here and see what you got, hinting that next year is the year, he'll be over 20, he'll have completed his contract, he's bigger, smarter.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Gotta think he comes in with a really good chance at a top 9 spot. Coming in as a 21 yr old with potentially PPG in the SHL, carrying his team offensively, while playing against men for a few years now.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Gotta think he comes in with a really good chance at a top 9 spot. Coming in as a 21 yr old with potentially PPG in the SHL, carrying his team offensively, while playing against men for a few years now.

A top 9 spot is open as the Flyers only have 5 top 9 wingers: Schenn, Simmonds, Raffl, Konecny, and Voracek. He might start in the AHL but I doubt he will be there until thanksgiving, Christmas at the latest.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Assuming they protect Raffl and Cousins:

Laughton to Vegas, Schenn at center
Raffl-G-Voracek
Konecny-Couturier-Simmonds
Lindblom-Schenn-Weise
Read-Cousins-Lyubimov
Leier

Weise to Vegas, Schenn at wing
Raffl-G-Voracek
Lindblom-Cousins-Schenn
Read-Laughton-Lyubimov
Leier

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Assuming they protect Raffl and Cousins:

Laughton to Vegas, Schenn at center
Raffl-G-Voracek
Lindblom-Schenn-Weise
Read-Cousins-Lyubimov
Leier

Weise to Vegas, Schenn at wing
Raffl-G-Voracek
Lindblom-Cousins-Schenn
Read-Laughton-Lyubimov
Leier

I don't know what his underlying stats say about the level of his play this year, but every time I see Cousins pencilled into the lineup going forward it looks like a glaring weakness to me. I love the kid's energy and chippiness, and he could improve since he's still relatively inexperienced, but I'm looking forward to upgrading his spot on the roster. It's only a matter of time, and patience, but I'm looking forward to it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's fair, but I'm just looking at guys under contract and RFAs.

And Lindblom, of course.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I don't know what his underlying stats say about the level of his play this year, but every time I see Cousins pencilled into the lineup going forward it looks like a glaring weakness to me. I love the kid's energy and chippiness, and he could improve since he's still relatively inexperienced, but I'm looking forward to upgrading his spot on the roster. It's only a matter of time, and patience, but I'm looking forward to it.

I feel the same exact way about him to be quite honest

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Simmonds isn't fast? :laugh:

In fairness, his skating was an issue. I posted about it historically, if I recall correctly. I know I have it in my notes at home. (I take notes on every game).

Thankfully, some of my first notes on this year: "Simmonds skating much much improved."

He used to be gangly, awkward, especially in the neutral zone along the walls. It wasn't a huge detriment to his game, but it's better now.

Now, he's a legitimate breakaway threat. I'm loving it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't see a Lindblom - Schenn - Weise line working, while Weise has some speed it would neither be a good checking line or a really good offensive match.

I see a Lindblom - ??? - Schenn line working much better, Rubtsov is 2-3 years away, so it's a good spot to plug in a veteran 3rd line center with some speed who can set up his wingers. Cousins has the playmaking skills but that would be a vulnerable line matched against speed.

Leier - ??? - Weise/Read as the 4th line. Don't see Cousins as a checking line center.
Looks like center may be on Hextalls' shopping list this winter.

And no, moving Raffl off the 1st line doesn't make sense, someone has to do the dirty work for G & V, and Lindblom may have the skills for the job, but that's a lot to ask of a rookie.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
In fairness, his skating was an issue. I posted about it historically, if I recall correctly. I know I have it in my notes at home. (I take notes on every game).

Thankfully, some of my first notes on this year: "Simmonds skating much much improved."

He used to be gangly, awkward, especially in the neutral zone along the walls. It wasn't a huge detriment to his game, but it's better now.

Now, he's a legitimate breakaway threat. I'm loving it.

Yeah. No doubt it improved. Anyone saying he isn't fast now just isn't evaluating the game properly. I would be hesitant to call him a great skater overall, but speed-wise he has to be one of the fastest player on the team. He's a long strider with pretty light feet.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just scored on international debut.

It was a good play... but lucky goal!

Great play behind net on boards to beat Dman to puck and backhand out infront... Swedish forward was lurking on edge of crease, Russian Dman tried to get there first, it went in off his skate!

He also set up the second best chance on nice overlap with Omark, he then dished far post and goalie came up big.

Him and Omark have looked Sweden's best forwards.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
so I know it has been asked and been answered, but I really dont feel like digging.
who does Lindblom compare to in the NHL? not that I like comparisons much.

I'm not going to name a player, but he appears to be a true power forward. His skating is not at an elite level and he's not the biggest speedster, but he's got a big frame, he uses it very well. Gets in front, terrific board work player. Real high Hockey IQ as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad