Oskar Lindblom - LW - 6'0" - 185 - Brynas Jr. Sweden Jr. - 2014 pick (5-138)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthems

Aug 23, 2011
Vancouver
Really excited about this pick. I can see Lindblom blossoming into a really good player down the road. I'll definitely be keeping very close tabs on him from here on out.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I've said it many times but i think he's the most offensively talented Swede after Nylander in this draft. Did not have a great season but has been awarded with a contract by the senior team and i think he'll get loads of playing time in the SHL this year.

I'll try to keep you posted on him.

Thank you, any updates would be appreciated.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The description me reads like a Mike Knuble-type. Maybe he plays at ~220lbs

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
I've said it many times but i think he's the most offensively talented Swede after Nylander in this draft. Did not have a great season but has been awarded with a contract by the senior team and i think he'll get loads of playing time in the SHL this year.

I'll try to keep you posted on him.

Thanks!

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
For what it's worth Pryor said they had Lindblom as a late 1st, early 2nd grade player.

“He could’ve been a late first-, early second-round pick,†Pryor said. “For whatever reason, he slipped a little bit this year. We were on him from day one. He has a big body, he’s got a lot of skill, and from the blue line in, he’s really good. We didn’t even think he’d be there when we picked him.â€

Great value pick here. Interested to see if he comes over to play in the CHL next season. His game would thrive over here. Really hope their pushing it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Anyone else concerned that there is some sort of red flag with this guy? Seems like the consensus on him was that he was a around a second round pick. Everything I've read sounds great and it sounds like a potential steal, but it also sounds like everyone else "knew" how good he was but chose not to pick him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's not that big a deal to take a chance on a faller in the fifth round.

Oh no doubt. I've got no beef with the pick one way or another...I'm just wondering what these "red flags" may have been. I am just curious why he fell. Did he have attitude/character issues? Did he have a serious injury? Did he have conditioning issues? Did he just have a real ****** season?

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Oh no doubt. I've got no beef with the pick one way or another...I'm just wondering what these "red flags" may have been. I am just curious why he fell. Did he have attitude/character issues? Did he have a serious injury? Did he have conditioning issues? Did he just have a real ****** season?

IIRC he just had a bad season. He's also not a great skater.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Like sa cryed said, get him in the CHL. You don't want him to get stagnant over there with a couple of bad seasons in a row. Bring him over for a fresh start and challenge.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I doubt he comes over to play in the CHL when he already has a professional contract to play in the SHL. It wouldn't make sense for him to do that. He either develops over there and comes over here when he's ready, or he doesn't develop, doesn't get offered a contract and he becomes a career SHL or KHL player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I think I read a couple people saying he had a really good season the year before last but last season he struggled for a while but started to rebound towards the end of the year.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'm curoius, why do some of you want him to come play in the CHL? Wouldn't he benefit more by playing professional hockey in a very good pro league? It seems like the type of game he plays, he would be better off conditioning his body against other bigger, stronger, older guys. I would say, leave him there and when you can, bring him over to the AHL to learn to play on NA ice. It's not like he's an early pick and they'll want him to play here in the next couple seasons anyway.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I'm curoius, why do some of you want him to come play in the CHL? Wouldn't he benefit more by playing professional hockey in a very good pro league? It seems like the type of game he plays, he would be better off conditioning his body against other bigger, stronger, older guys. I would say, leave him there and when you can, bring him over to the AHL to learn to play on NA ice. It's not like he's an early pick and they'll want him to play here in the next couple seasons anyway.

I think the exact reason is his style of play. He plays a more rough and tough type of hockey. Getting into the dirty parts, getting infront of the net, getting those dirty goals. I think in a smaller rink, he would be able to refine his game faster because of how he plays.

But I have no idea if he even considers to come over.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think the exact reason is his style of play. He plays a more rough and tough type of hockey. Getting into the dirty parts, getting infront of the net, getting those dirty goals. I think in a smaller rink, he would be able to refine his game faster because of how he plays.

But I have no idea if he even considers to come over.

I assumed that had something to do with it because the Swedish league isn't as much of a "grinder" type league but at the same time, playing against grown men instead fo 16-20 year old kids seems like a good way to prepare for NA pro hockey. I also feel like he could improve his skating more playing on the bigger ice as opposed to the smaller ice here where he might not be exposed as often.

What are the rules for someone like him coming to NA and playing in the AHL? Can't he play earlier than a CHL player?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I assumed that had something to do with it because the Swedish league isn't as much of a "grinder" type league but at the same time, playing against grown men instead fo 16-20 year old kids seems like a good way to prepare for NA pro hockey. I also feel like he could improve his skating more playing on the bigger ice as opposed to the smaller ice here where he might not be exposed as often.

What are the rules for someone like him coming to NA and playing in the AHL? Can't he play earlier than a CHL player?

Yea if they wanted to he could come in and play for the phantoms. It is a rarity though.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yea if they wanted to he could come in and play for the phantoms. It is a rarity though.

Agreed, especially since he's younger than most drafted players this year. Though if he plays another year of pro hockey and looks good, it would be nice to see him come to NA and play in the AHL when he's 19. Get 2 fulls years of NA pro hockey under his belt before possibly finding a bottom 6 role in the NHL if thats the way his progression goes.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Anyone else concerned that there is some sort of red flag with this guy? Seems like the consensus on him was that he was a around a second round pick. Everything I've read sounds great and it sounds like a potential steal, but it also sounds like everyone else "knew" how good he was but chose not to pick him.

I wondered this as well. I compared him to other Swedish forwards in the NHL that were drafted between 2000-2010. They were all either playing in the SHL their draft year or were point per game + players at the u-20 level. His .77 ppg at the u-20 level appears well below the skill level that we see from Swedish forwards that make the NHL.

However, if he was born a month later he would have been in next year's draft class. Perhaps he just needs an extra year of development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad