Confirmed with Link: Oshie stays with caps (8 years, 5.75 mil aav)

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Langway's point is that the Caps brass doesn't do that whole "strategic foresight" thing. :laugh:

The current "Caps brass" has only ever had teams on the rise. You have no idea what they'll do when the wheels start coming off the bus.

So far, Mac has been a practical guy that has been pretty good at identifying needs and making positive decisions. They weren't all stellar in retrospect, but he's made some tough calls that have paid off. There's little reason to believe he won't be just as practical when the team's outlook changes.

Limited NTCs are pretty standard operating procedure for the Caps, but then they allow all of their players to ride out until the end of the contract anyway.

Mac's teams were always competitive. They all had a shot. Trading current impact value for the longer-term benefit of the franchise isn't what anyone wanted him to do. It was all geared toward being all-in this year.

So who did he let walk for nothing that he shouldn't have? Maybe Green. I'd agree with that, but the smart move with Green would have been to unload him way earlier. Downgrading the third pair and power play at his first TDL wouldn't have been the best move in the world. Way more on McPhee than Mac in this case.

Who else? Ward? Fehr? Chimera? Borderline at best in each of those cases. We could have gotten picks for Fehr and Chimera, but nothing that would have helped us. Ward, maybe if we'd done it in the offseason before, but no way at the TDL. He always outperformed his hit.

You're hanging a lot of pre-MacLellan stuff on Mac. I find him to be WAY more practical and less stubborn than McPhee.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We needed right handed PP wingers for the slot anyway, and PK forwards (with faceoff ability) too. We could have either Williams or Oshie. Came to this.

AAV is good. This had to be done and its done.

Now if only Kuz would sign for 6M or so...

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
By the time Oshie's contract becomes a thing, Ovechkin will almost certainly be gone and the cap will go up.

Good move to keep him, talent+heart and soul.

Still need a major shake-up or ****ing who cares.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Great signing but makes letting Schmidt go all the more stupid. If they had him locked up should have traded Mojo for the best ED exempt package and went 4-4-1 biting the bullet on Wilson

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yes they could have. They chose to protect forwards who were both more redundant and more easily replaced

Team in our position should have cashed in on exposed assets like Tampa did.

Do you know how expansion draft works?

To protect Schmidt they have to do a 4-4-1 so which of burakovsky/johansson would you rather McPhee choose?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Do you know how expansion draft works?

To protect Schmidt they have to do a 4-4-1 so which of burakovsky/johansson would you rather McPhee choose?

Protect Burakovsky and trade Johansson for best offer before the draft like Tampa did with Drouin

Top 6 of Ovechkin/Backstrom/Oshie + Bura/Kuz/Vrana/Wilson/Connolly, with additional resources from sending away Mojo that could be used to plug that hole.

Top 4 of Orlov/Niskanen/Schmidt/Carlson

Much better than what they have going for them now.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It's fine. Not my money and there will probably be at least 2 lock-outs during that term if Count Chocula stays true to form.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Protect Burakovsky and trade Johansson for best offer before the draft like Tampa did with Drouin

Top 6 of Ovechkin/Backstrom/Oshie + Bura/Kuz/Vrana/Wilson/Connolly, with additional resources from sending away Mojo that could be used to plug that hole.

Top 4 of Orlov/Niskanen/Schmidt/Carlson

Much better than what they have going for them now.

Who cares what they have "now"? It's June.
Gmbm said today they're looking to trade for a top 4 D

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The worst part is we get to see 8-19-77 for 50+ games again this season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Genuinely curious how the Oshies will react when Alzner signs elsewhere. Particularly Lyla. She's gonna lose her best friend. :cry:

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Genuinely curious how the Oshies will react when Alzner signs elsewhere. Particularly Lyla. She's gonna lose her best friend. :cry:

Reminds me:who would have thought even a few months ago that we wouldn't even be speculating on if they'd sign alzner? I know many thought it would be a bad idea, but most probably thought they would be weighing it or there would be some suspense.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Deal's fine, a bit long but whatever. Term is the new payday. Glad Oshie is sticking around.

I've been away for a while so apologies if this already was discussed but my question is this: if Ovie goes to the Olympics and is suspended by the league, do the Caps have to eat his cap hit anyway?

In my fantasy world, Alex is using his knee/leg rehab as an opportunity to slim down and his upper body and regain leg strength and quickness.

But back in reality, I realize his time in DC most likely needs to be over. Given that, the Olympic thing could be a blessing. He goes to Seoul and then to Moscow and KHL, and the Caps, victims of his cruel desertion as they would be :rolleyes: are the recipients of $9.5 M in cap space heading toward the deadline.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm from the era before FA. When you had guys on the team for a long time. So to see one of my favourite players sticking with the team is awesome.

I'm sorry the 2 "Millennial GM's" are unhappy with it, as they expected.....I don't even know, honestly.

Great for the Caps, great for Oshie, and great for the actual fans.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm from the era before FA. When you had guys on the team for a long time. So to see one of my favourite players sticking with the team is awesome.

I'm sorry the 2 "Millennial GM's" are unhappy with it, as they expected.....I don't even know, honestly.

Great for the Caps, great for Oshie, and great for the actual fans.

So only people who don't think about the salary cap count as "actual fans?" :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad