Confirmed with Link: Oshie stays with caps (8 years, 5.75 mil aav)

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Let Connolly go...

Honestly I don't get this. The guy potted 15 goals in 66 games playing nothing minutes. If there is one thing most cry about around here it is the need for the team to have young players who outplay their contracts and he did that in spades. Sure his playoffs were a bit of a letdown but considering these were his first playoffs is that really so surprising?

Connolly was a badly needed find for this team and ditching him out of playoff spite would just be ridiculously shortsighted IMO.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Honestly I don't get this. The guy potted 15 goals in 66 games playing nothing minutes. If there is one thing most cry about around here it is the need for the team to have young players who outplay their contracts and he did that in spades. Sure his playoffs were a bit of a letdown but considering these were his first playoffs is that really so surprising?

Connolly was a badly needed find for this team and ditching him out of playoff spite would just be ridiculously shortsighted IMO.

Agreed. And what does letting him go gain you? That much performance for that cheap, cost-controlled, with room to improve, in a world where you just lost Williams and can't afford to replace him? How is keeping Connolly not a no-brainer?

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I don't see him as part of the long term solution....and I'm assuming he will cost 1.5m or so. I'd rather they spend that money towards bringing Williams back, or a bottom 3 D-man.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
I don't see him as part of the long term solution....and I'm assuming he will cost 1.5m or so. I'd rather they spend that money towards bringing Williams back, or a bottom 3 D-man.

Honestly, after 40 plus years with this franchise, I don't think there is a long term solution.

Vis a vis Connolly, at times he looked like a bargain, a former first round pick who was finally blossoming. At other times, he disappeared for weeks. With the budget issues, I'm not convinced he is a better option than Boyd, etc.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Say no and try to sign Justin Williams for 2 years. Similar overall production and better 5v5 production, and it's not like Mr. Game 7 is lacking the intangibles Oshie is given credit for either.

This saves money against the cap for this season to either lock up the RFAs long term or to be able to actually upgrade the top 4 on D.

Instead it's going to be tough to lock in Orlov and Kuznetsov long term while also having anything left over for a top 4 D upgrade. Oshie's a fine player but he also had the highest shooting percentage of any player over the past 8 seasons IIRC. I highly doubt he'd be considered this valuable if he only shot 13% like he did the season before.

They kinda had to sign Oshie or risk no one showing up for games this year. Return of Oshie is practically their pitch for the upcoming season.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
This deal screams desperation and leads them trying to hold on at all cost instead of any kind of rebuild. This group will never be good enough and now they are even farther from real change.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah the deal screams of desperation, resulting from a thin prospect pool unable to fill his shoes, on going struggles to find a RW that can mesh with Ovi, and the marketing of the team into the future.

There is no denying that Ovi is not the marketing piece he once was. He is still the best we got but I have to admit I look forward to watching Oshie more than Ovi on most nights, since I can always count on his scrappy effort and high skill level.

Time to get a 77.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Definitely time to get a 77 sweater and stop whining about the deal. ;) Embrace the slide people! This might be your Captain in 5 years.

I think I've finally openly accepted the idea that this team won't ever win a Cup with Ovy. Doesn't mean I won't cheer as hard as ever, but those expectations have officially sailed for this Capitals fan. Back to being a team with just a 50/50 chance at winning a playoff round.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Definitely time to get a 77 sweater and stop whining about the deal. ;) Embrace the slide people! This might be your Captain in 5 years.

I think I've finally openly accepted the idea that this team won't ever win a Cup with Ovy. Doesn't mean I won't cheer as hard as ever, but those expectations have officially sailed for this Capitals fan. Back to being a team with just a 50/50 chance at winning a playoff round.

I am not there yet. I'm hollow and bitter following GM 7, but I'm far from saying "it's over". Too many good young pieces. The prospect cupboard is a little bare, but so was the Pens 3 years ago. We know how that ended.

Ovi isn't Sid. I've accepted that. But I think they have enough pieces to do some damage. Looks what the Sharks and Preds did the last 2 playoffs.

Caps need some things to break their way. That's the rub, right?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone else watch Barry at the draft, talking up what a great captain S1d is?

I thought it was rather telling. I wonder if he would like to see Oshie as a captain but doesn't want to rock the boat. Perhaps the timing of Osh being signed and the interview were just a coincidence.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Anyone else watch Barry at the draft, talking up what a great captain S1d is?

I thought it was rather telling. I wonder if he would like to see Oshie as a captain but doesn't want to rock the boat. Perhaps the timing of Osh being signed and the interview were just a coincidence.

Saw him interviewed on the NHL Network on Day 2 of the draft and the two players he indicated that they were going to expect more of in the coming season were Burakovsky (he indicated that he liked how he had played alongside of Backstrom) and Taylor Chorney. His referencing Burakovsky with Backstrom would suggest that Ovie will either be paired with Kuzy or as in the playoffs with Eller.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Saw him interviewed on the NHL Network on Day 2 of the draft and the two players he indicated that they were going to expect more of in the coming season were Burakovsky (he indicated that he liked how he had played alongside of Backstrom) and Taylor Chorney. His referencing Burakovsky with Backstrom would suggest that Ovie will either be paired with Kuzy or as in the playoffs with Eller.

Yep, and that is a better summary than I could remember.

I know most think Ovi on 3 for the playoffs wasn't a demotion but anytime a guy making 9M is on 3.... excuses ring a bit hollow.

I don't think Barry will rock the boat THAT much to start the year. Barry may have his lines all but set after getting Oshie inked. Regardless, Ovi on 3 and then Bura + Nick speak is breaking the ice for next years lineup that will not be founded all year long on Ovi + Nick as its foundation.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
So you are advocating a rebuild? Right Now? Is that what I'm to understand?

Yes, I would start the process now. The team will never be more talented then it was the past few years. And if OV and Nick could not put this team on its back five years ago. They are not going to do it now.

Nothing worked out like we needed it to. There was a window before and we needed Mojo, Wilson, Holtby, Bura or Kuza to really step up and out play there ELC. And we never got it. Kuza came close two season ago then s*** the bed the last 40 games of the year.

Don't get me wrong most of the players I listed have turned out to be good players. Yet its to late now as the contracts are taking a big jump and the talent level is staying the same.

The team will never be more talented then it was the past two years and Holtby could hold it together. So many weak goals going by him.

What will **** me off even more is if OV comes back in shape and has a good season. All that does is show how ****** of a leader he is. And how his give a s*** level may have ruined the best years.

I have never watched this core in the playoffs and felt like "At least they went down fighting". And everyone loves to blame the coaching. Its not the coaching its the broken core of this team.

So yes I would like to start a rebuild of any kind. Without it we are just running in place.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am not there yet. I'm hollow and bitter following GM 7, but I'm far from saying "it's over". Too many good young pieces. The prospect cupboard is a little bare, but so was the Pens 3 years ago. We know how that ended.

Ovi isn't Sid. I've accepted that. But I think they have enough pieces to do some damage. Looks what the Sharks and Preds did the last 2 playoffs.

Caps need some things to break their way. That's the rub, right?

"over" isn't what I'm saying. No longer a heavy favorite, more of a just make the playoffs kinda team and if we get lucky make some noise. I'm not really hollow and bitter, more accepting than anything else.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Yep, and that is a better summary than I could remember.

I know most think Ovi on 3 for the playoffs wasn't a demotion but anytime a guy making 9M is on 3.... excuses ring a bit hollow.

I don't think Barry will rock the boat THAT much to start the year. Barry may have his lines all but set after getting Oshie inked. Regardless, Ovi on 3 and then Bura + Nick speak is breaking the ice for next years lineup that will not be founded all year long on Ovi + Nick as its foundation.

Whether its to start the year or a month or two later 3rd line may be a better fit for Ovi in the twilight of his career. He'll be 32 in September.

Kessel is on the third line. Kessel makes $10 mil a year. $2 million is in bonuses, probably achieved if they win the Stanley cup or goal targets achieved bonuses. Kessel will only be 30 in October same as Backstrom, still has great wheels and makes an impact.

Backstrom with Burakovsky and Oshie will be a much faster first line. If Ovi is still scoring goals on the pp I'd leave him on that but might experiment with someone else in preparation for replacement.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kessel is on the third line....

True, but Kessel is also clearly 3rd fiddle on that team. I will concede when we see S1d on 3. ;)

But just watching Ovi all year at ES, I could see why Barry did it. Yes his injuries but we clobbered the pens physically, knocking guys out of their lineup, and they won the cup. Again.

In the pens series, Ovi on the boards was close to the worst I have ever seen. They took the puck from him with ease. It wasn't just injuries - so I think we may have seen Barry waving the white flag and expect more experimenting at 1LW. Back on topic, I see the Oshie signing as a bit of a passing of the torch.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What will **** me off even more is if OV comes back in shape and has a good season. All that does is show how ****** of a leader he is. And how his give a s*** level may have ruined the best years.

This is such a load of garbage. Really just a ton of hyperbolic ******** packed into three sentences. Nicely done.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
He's over 30 and plays a relatively physical game. Really glad he's back for the next couple seasons, love having him on the team, but this contract will look reeeaaaaally ugly at some point...

FYP.

I struggle to see how it's possible that this isn't a horrific contract sooner or later, probably sooner. Hopefully there are loopholes I don't get to take the edge off because the term is clinically insane.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
As we now know, Ovie was pretty nicked up when he was placed on that third line during the playoffs. A healthy Ovie on that third line paired with Eller and Wilson will be a pretty heavy line to play against that will definitely wear down the opponents.

The first line with Bura, Backstrom and Oshie will be a much faster line.

That leaves the second line with Kuznetsov as the center. The wings are unknown at this time. If Vrana is the LW, you'll need a "stabilizer" at the RW such as Justin Williams. If MAJO (Marcus, Johansson that's for Brian;)) the LW, then I can't see Vrana on the 4th line, as it's more of a checking line, hence why MAJO might be the trade chip. I have nothing to base it on, but I just see Kuzy having better chemistry with Vrana then with MAJO.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As we now know, Ovie was pretty nicked up when he was placed on that third line during the playoffs. A healthy Ovie on that third line paired with Eller and Wilson will be a pretty heavy line to play against that will definitely wear down the opponents.

He has been Nick'd up (playing with an elite center) for some time ;)

Hitpick alert.

The team didn't hit for the first ~3 months of the season, and it really only lasted a month or 2. The playoffs were the least physical I can remember as a caps fans, at least the first round.

Heavy is a bit dated. Without hitting, heavy better mean board work, which isn't something Ovi excels at. Ovi's hitting has dropped off dramatically and I don't expect that to change course. A modern day line has to be able to create chances off the rush... I don't see it with those 3. I think they need to be physical and hit to get turnovers / quick chances.

We don't embrace the heavy game properly anyways; Barry wants a hybrid system that can win any style game, once he gets around to adjusting to it.

Last edited:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

That leaves the second line with Kuznetsov as the center. The wings are unknown at this time. If Vrana is the LW, you'll need a "stabilizer" at the RW such as Justin Williams. If MAJO (Marcus, Johansson that's for Brian;)) the LW, then I can't see Vrana on the 4th line, as it's more of a checking line, hence why MAJO might be the trade chip. I have nothing to base it on, but I just see Kuzy having better chemistry with Vrana then with MAJO.

Trotz said last season he sees Bura as a RWer, and played him there for most of the season, so I think it's safe to assume he's their Williams 2RW replacement.

Ovi-Kuzy-Oshie
Mojo-NB-Bura
Conn-Eller-Vrana
XX-Beagle-Wilson

My guess is Oshie will PK with Beagle as he did for some of last season - though you don't want to overwork him, especially now you have him signed for so long.

That forward rank is almost as strong as last year's - the only reason it changes is if we need to trade for a 4D. If we'd kept Schmidt, it would be a strong lineup.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
True, but Kessel is also clearly 3rd fiddle on that team. I will concede when we see S1d on 3. ;)

But just watching Ovi all year at ES, I could see why Barry did it. Yes his injuries but we clobbered the pens physically, knocking guys out of their lineup, and they won the cup. Again.

In the pens series, Ovi on the boards was close to the worst I have ever seen. They took the puck from him with ease. It wasn't just injuries - so I think we may have seen Barry waving the white flag and expect more experimenting at 1LW. Back on topic, I see the Oshie signing as a bit of a passing of the torch.

Concede.
S1d won't play on the 3rd line until he's 40. :D Sheer determination.
My point was their 3rd fiddle Kessel is getting paid $10 million!
Perhaps Ovi can do more on a 3rd line than he is on a first.

On topic. Congrats to Oshie. Backstrom is likely relieved too.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Concede.
S1d won't play on the 3rd line until he's 40. :D Sheer determination.
My point was their 3rd fiddle Kessel is getting paid $10 million!
Perhaps Ovi can do more on a 3rd line than he is on a first.

On topic. Congrats to Oshie. Backstrom is likely relieved too.

Good post. Only Pitt could take on a contract like Kessels and still win a cup. And then get 5.75 cap relief from our former GM for a freaking 2nd rounder.

Meanwhile, we can barely fill out our roster after inking Oshie to 5.75. But I am glad he is back. Our lineup without him loses a lot of skill effort and physical play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->