Confirmed with Link: Oshie stays with caps (8 years, 5.75 mil aav)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Perfectly fine with it and he could have gotten $6.5 easily. His game will age gracefully imo. He's proven himself as core.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
best forward and pretty much only forward on market (assuming radulov stays) he was gonna get paid big

What comparable forward has recently pulled in a 6.5 for 4 deal or higher? I just see no way he was higher then that. Maybe 6.5 for 6 but that's just us spreading out the same hit over term essentially.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Love Oshie. He's a heart-and-soul guy, yes, but he's also a heart-and-soul first-line guy who fits perfectly in this team/system, whose compete level off the charts, and who--so far--has put up the numbers to justify the salary (including back-to-back career-best years in terms of goals). That's the kind of *on-ice/by-example* leadership this team needs.

The term scares me, yes. For the potential for disaster. But I'll only start complaining about the term if/when his aging body starts to fail (injuries have been a *minor* concern)--and that assumes he's still on the roster if/when it happens.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Dig this. Really helps this team the next few years. Not concerned about that back half as that will likely be post AO era/potential rebuild time.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That is a long contract but whatever.

I'd like to see him get the C even though it won't happen. At least an A. He leads by example more than any other player we have now. He busts his ass and probably has the highest battle quotient on the team because he gives his all. Dude's a warrior.

I think it was also important to sign him because without him 1RW always seems to be a black hole.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I wonder how much heart and character would matter to everyone if he scored 19 goals last year.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
He's over 30 and plays a relatively physical game. Really glad he's back for the next couple seasons, love having him on the team, but this contract may look reeeaaaaally ugly at some point...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Eight years is obscene. A lot of posters had the "we'll deal with the back half of his contract when we get there" approach with Orpik's contract as well, and guess what, we're in the back half. STOP SIGNING PLAYERS UNTIL THEY'RE THIRTY NINE.

AAV is tolerable, but doesn't leave a ton of room to maneuver. Orpik's contract still has to go if they want to address the 2nd pairing.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Long term, but I don't really see an issue. Cap will keep going up I presume and teams manage to get out of bad contracts seemingly every year, if we ever get to that point.

TJ Oshie is awesome and I'm glad he's sticking around. If he sucks in 5 years, deal with it then.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Damnit, we wanted him.

That's a lot of years. But the money is nice. Good signing and good luck you guys!

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Come down from what? He wasn't getting 7 million a year. At most he'd be 6.5. That's not really a discount, people were pegging him at 6 for 4 years before the season ended...

Sure, if by "people" you mean Caps fans. No objective person thought he'd sign for less than the 5/6 years or longer that other FAs in his class got last year. Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, Okposo... There's no way Oshie was ever going to sign for 4 years.

As for "That's not really a discount," $750,000 is a roster spot, Brian. Especially at a time when we know we're going to have rookies coming in, $750K is nothing to scoff at. That's Bowey, Djoos, Chorney -- take your pick. It's likely what we'll pay our backup netminder.

How much money did you want him to leave on the table for a couple of backend years? And the backend isn't so brutal. The cap hit is static, of course, but his average actual salary for those seasons is 4.5m, and the last 4 years he has a 10-team no-trade list. That's not so bad. With some strategic foresight, there's a bit of an escape hatch there unless he totally implodes.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
That is a long contract but whatever.

I'd like to see him get the C even though it won't happen. At least an A. He leads by example more than any other player we have now. He busts his ass and probably has the highest battle quotient on the team because he gives his all. Dude's a warrior.

I think it was also important to sign him because without him 1RW always seems to be a black hole.

You mean compete level? :yo:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
$750K per year isn't a huge discount if you're giving him an additional 2-3 years worth of guaranteed salaries on the back end. Don't pretend this is a back-diving deal like Keith/Hossa/Pronger/etc.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Well, let's hope for another round of compliance buyouts or payment adjustments after the 2020 lockout. Just view this as a 3 year contract. :sarcasm:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
$750K per year isn't a huge discount if you're giving him an additional 2-3 years worth of guaranteed salaries on the back end. Don't pretend this is a back-diving deal like Keith/Hossa/Pronger/etc.

Well yeah but you can't do that anymore. This is the best you can do within the rules after those super team friendly, cap circumventing deals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad