Oshawa Generals 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not unless they get off to a horrible start and are out of it come the deadline. They plan on trying to contend this season. Other than Kingston, I really don't see any teams better than anyone else in the East. Will come down to who adds. Apparently the Gens have a "top pairing D-man" coming in via trade before the season starts. Who that person is, I don't know.

If Kevin Niedenz is as good as they expect him to be, Niedenz-Harrison-Tullio projects as one of the best lines in the league

And there are picks to use, maybe more if Castle is traded in the final season of the owner’s kid. Though afterwards, a tough re-build would be on the horizon given short supply of talent drafted from 2019-21.
But honestly, Barrie & Hamilton are not clear contenders in the east?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am not so sure about Hamilton - I think they are stronger next season, so may not push all their chips in this season. But I wonder if he meant East Division?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
And there are picks to use, maybe more if Castle is traded in the final season of the owner’s kid. Though afterwards, a tough re-build would be on the horizon given short supply of talent drafted from 2019-21.
But honestly, Barrie & Hamilton are not clear contenders in the east?
They literally just got arguably the best player from the entire draft in the 2021 draft lol. And will have 2 first rounders next draft to pair with him. The doom and gloom is not needed

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
And have two first round picks next year. Ritchie is going to be a stud
Exactly. At bare minimum you have Ritchie, Buckley, Marrelli, and whoever the 2 first rounders next draft are in a 2 draft span. And obviously there will be other people who step up or come out of nowhere and trades will happen.

Another thing to keep in mind is the 2nd they just got is PBO '22 and they protect to be one of the worst teams in the league. So very likely the Gens will have 3 of the top 22 picks in the coming draft

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Worst kept secret that it was part of the Tomasino deal. Oshawa unfortunately didnt benefit with Tomasino last year, but will definitely benefit next year as the 06 Loop is considered one of the best in quite some time.

Also, hearing they may have another signing early next week.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Worst kept secret that it was part of the Tomasino deal. Oshawa unfortunately didnt benefit with Tomasino last year, but will definitely benefit next year as the 06 Loop is considered one of the best in quite some time.

Also, hearing they may have another signing early next week.

06 draft is supposed to be loaded? I've been away from minor hockey so long now I have no idea. Can't wait to start watching minor midget games again. Gens are now flush with picks, especially in the coming draft with 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds. Here is their full haul

Wouldn't expect the Gens to keep them all (could see a couple go for a Dman very soon) but certainly not the doom and gloom "rebuild needed"

Reactions: Nerf27

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am not so sure about Hamilton - I think they are stronger next season, so may not push all their chips in this season. But I wonder if he meant East Division?

not sure what you mean by east division, but I’m comfortable with Hamilton as top of east division, 2nd in conference. They are just a very good team, imo; maybe best overall 19-20 yr olds in conference and a little suspect in net.
Behind Barrie mainly because I can see Hamilton, Kingston, (Oshawa ???), Ottawa as 2-4; potentially a tough division.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
not sure what you mean by east division, but I’m comfortable with Hamilton as top of east division, 2nd in conference. They are just a very good team, imo; maybe best overall 19-20 yr olds in conference and a little suspect in net.
Behind Barrie mainly because I can see Hamilton, Kingston, (Oshawa ???), Ottawa as 2-4; potentially a tough division.

This is a convo that belongs in the 2021-2022 predictions thread and not the Oshawa Generals thread, but you have Hamilton over Kingston? I don't see that at all. KGN has the better goalie by far and the better top end talent by far. HAM will have better D to start the year but it's not like Staois and Romeo are Jamie Drysdale either

Also remember HAM's roster looks good on OHL.com but that has 6 OAs on it so they're about to lose 3 of their better names on there. Can only keep 3 of Staois, Bertuzzi, Mutter, Van Loon, Roy and Kammerer

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This is a convo that belongs in the 2021-2022 predictions thread and not the Oshawa Generals thread, but you have Hamilton over Kingston? I don't see that at all. KGN has the better goalie by far and the better top end talent by far. HAM will have better D to start the year but it's not like Staois and Romeo are Jamie Drysdale either

Also remember HAM's roster looks good on OHL.com but that has 6 OAs on it so they're about to lose 3 of their better names on there. Can only keep 3 of Staois, Bertuzzi, Mutter, Van Loon, Roy and Kammerer

can and probably will keep 4 OAs to start, maybe up to the deadline of 3 OAs…will finish this thought in season predictions

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Would likely be a depth add I assume. Also Tullio, Moore, McSorley and Jesus are going to NHL camps so might miss a preseason game or 2 and you can only play if you're signed, so they might need to sign someone just to have enough guys if those 4 aren't back yet

Gens sign 6'3, 2004 born D Ryan O'Dell for some depth on the blue line. He's signed to play in the NOJHL this season

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Watched him during summer and at camp and closer to 6'5".

They have some size on the back end now.

Petruniak: 6'5
Jesus: 6'4
O'Dell: 6'4
Pitt: 6'4
Smith: 6'3
Marrelli ('05): 6'1
Moore: 5'8

And all 7 of them are back next year too. And if Nikita Parfenyuk comes, which it sounds like he might, he's 6'4 as well

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens sign O'Toole and O'Dell in the last couple days. My updated lineup:

F Lines:
Niedenz-Harrison-Tullio
Michaud-Ritchie-Stepien(OA)
McKinney-Gagnier-Buckley
O’Toole-Way-Tallman
Others: McSorley(OA), Torrance

#Gens D Pairings:
Moore-Jesus
Marrelli-Pitt
Smith-Petruniak
Others: O’Dell, Parfenyuk(unsigned)

G:
Paputsakis(OA)
Leaver
Bickle
Sbrocca

Get a top 4 D and I like where they're at heading into a season full of unknowns

Last edited:

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Gens sign O'Toole and O'Dell in the last couple days. My updated lineup:

F Lines:
Niedenz-Harrison-Tullio
Michaud-Ritchie-Stepien(OA)
McKinney-Gagnier-Buckley
O’Toole-Way-Tallman
Others: McSorley(OA), Torrance

#Gens D Pairings:
Moore-Jesus
Marrelli-Pitt
Smith-Petruniak
Others: O’Dell, Parfenyuk(unsigned)

G:
Paputsakis(OA)
Leaver
Bickle
Sbrocca

Get a top 4 D and I like we're they're at heading into a season full of unknowns

You don't think McSorley starts 3rd or 4th line given the first 2 exhibition games? Can't see him being on the outside looking in more often than not personally

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You don't think McSorley starts 3rd or 4th line given the first 2 exhibition games? Can't see him being on the outside looking in more often than not personally
I don't think he'll be on the team. They'll get a better 3rd OA. They need one top 4 D and could easily fill that using an OA spot (Constantinou from SSM?). McSorley might start the year in that spot, but won't be there all year I'd guess

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad