Oshawa Generals 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Sep 20, 2019
That was the best game the Gens have played in over a month. It was also the first they forechecked and pressed the puck in the offensive zone, rather than falling back to defend, since Christmas. Maybe our coaching staff will take note? This is the way this team has to play to be successful.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Thoughts from game 63 @ Kingston:

-Pretty complete all around game for the Gens, even with their 2nd leading goal scorer out of the lineup again. 1st/3rd/OT were completely even and KGN led the play a bit in the 2nd.

-Ertel and Ritchie were 2 of the best Gens in this game which is very encouraging for the future. Ertel hasn't been higher than the 4th line very often this season but when he has he's always shown flashes, tonight with the most of any of his games this year. Ritchie with 1G/1A and had a really nice pass to set up Stepien for a breakaway in OT too.

-Leaver was good again, he must be the best 3-on-3 OT goalie in the league. Seems like he stands on his head every overtime. Also now has stopped 29/38 for 76.3% in the shootout this season (his career).

-Parfenyuk with 2 assists and you really see how much the Gens missed him for those 22 games. Behind Moore he's definitely the 2nd best puck mover and sets up the rush very effortlessly, which really helps the F group.

-Gens PP gives up a shorty but then the PK steps up huge after a crazy unsportsmanlike conduct call to give KGN a 4 minute PP where if they had've scored, it was over. Then after that huge kill the PP comes back and ties the game with the goalie out.

-With the win, the Gens basically guarantee a playoff spot. Their magic number to clinch is now 2. So 1 more win this year or 1 Sudbury regulation loss and it's official.

6th OSH: 62 pts (5 games left)
7th OTT: 60 pts (5 games left)
8th PBO: 55 pts (6 games left)

OTT plays PBO tomorrow, so Gens fans are cheering for Ottawa, as even after tonight I'd still rather play the Central winner than Kingston

Reactions: Whatanathol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Petes blow a late lead and lose in the shootout so OTT is now tied with the Gens (but played 1 more game). Gens have the tougher schedule the rest of the way though. God bless the Petes not being able to win hockey games. Let's hope OTT has a couple more upsets in them the next 2 weeks. I'll gladly take 7 seed vs NB and the 7th or 8th overall pick in the draft (if KIT has a good ending it could be 7th)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Petes blow a late lead and lose in the shootout so OTT is now tied with the Gens (but played 1 more game). Gens have the tougher schedule the rest of the way though. God bless the Petes not being able to win hockey games. Let's hope OTT has a couple more upsets in them the next 2 weeks. I'll gladly take 7 seed vs NB and the 7th or 8th overall pick in the draft (if KIT has a good ending it could be 7th)

The earlier pick would be nice; facing NB, not so much. Who could seriously want to go up against a team that is 9-1 (L10), won 18 of last 21?

Reactions: MeafAttack

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The earlier pick would be nice; facing NB, not so much. Who could seriously want to go up against a team that is 9-1 (L10), won 18 of last 21?
Because I think Kingston is better and much deeper on F than them so I'd rather play the team who doesn't have 6 stud forwards? Seems like a simple concept, no? Both OSH/NB games this year have been close games (3-2 OSH and 4-2 NB with an empty netter)

And of those 9 wins you posted about, 4 are against Sudbury, 2 are against Niagara and 1 is against Barrie with their 3rd string goalie (Chartrand). And the lone loss was their only game to Hamilton. And if you go back to their 11th game ago, they got destroyed by Hamilton 7-2 and 12 games ago they lost to NIA. So to say 9-1 in their last 10 and act like that's impressive is super, super misleading.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
9/10, 18/21 is super impressive; battalion has just been winning
Niagara 6-3-1 L10, Oshawa 4-5-1

4-1 KGN; GWG Wright

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
9/10, 18/21 is super impressive; battalion has just been winning
Niagara 6-3-1 L10, Oshawa 4-5-1

4-1 KGN; GWG Wright
Beating up on Sudbury, Niagara and Barrie with their 3rd string goalie isn't "super impressive", no. It's what a good team does when they face a bad team. Kingston has also been winning and Merilainen is starting to look better, which scares me as that was their big weakness. Both are good teams, that's why they're going to finish 2/3 in the conference lol. I think Kingston is better than North Bay and I'd rather the higher pick. Pretty simple

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens officially clinched a playoff spot for the 11th straight season, the 2nd longest active streak in the OHL and the longest active one in the Eastern Conference

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Niagara is an impressive 7-3-1 in past 11 games
We have wildly different definitions of the word impressive. Their season is over in a league where 80% of the teams make the playoffs. They probably played the other teams starting goalie less than half the time this year too, especially in the 2nd half

three dog night

May 3, 2014
We have wildly different definitions of the word impressive. Their season is over in a league where 80% of the teams make the playoffs. They probably played the other teams starting goalie less than half the time this year too, especially in the 2nd half
Not today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad