Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Yes this is also the organization that drafted M. McCarron (sp?), who cannot crack the big club line up. During the M cup run he was a force at 6 ft 6 inches, which has not translated into pro success. Why? Speed or lack thereof would my guess. If I'm not mistaken he was a 1st round pick too.

Anyway #61 has superior hockey IQ and seems to have grown a bit over the summer, which will assist his game, given how geared it is towards momentary puck possession before usually making a sublime pass.

I love the space that this guy buys with his mohawk skating style, but will it translate into NHL success? Montreal selected him in the 3rd round because he is a Bracco type player. Mr. Marlie has progressed very well over the past 3 years and seems poised to make the jump given his age and stats in the AHL last year. #61 is cut from that cloth. I hope he makes it. The puck seems to follow him, not quite Nick Suzuki but in the vicinity. He is my favorite player, next to former captn KM. #12 will be a ton of fun to watch this year too.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yes this is also the organization that drafted M. McCarron (sp?), who cannot crack the big club line up. During the M cup run he was a force at 6 ft 6 inches, which has not translated into pro success. Why? Speed or lack thereof would my guess. If I'm not mistaken he was a 1st round pick too.

Anyway #61 has superior hockey IQ and seems to have grown a bit over the summer, which will assist his game, given how geared it is towards momentary puck possession before usually making a sublime pass.

I love the space that this guy buys with his mohawk skating style, but will it translate into NHL success? Montreal selected him in the 3rd round because he is a Bracco type player. Mr. Marlie has progressed very well over the past 3 years and seems poised to make the jump given his age and stats in the AHL last year. #61 is cut from that cloth. I hope he makes it. The puck seems to follow him, not quite Nick Suzuki but in the vicinity. He is my favorite player, next to former captn KM. #12 will be a ton of fun to watch this year too.

I don't think McShane will translate to NHL success, but I still think he'll play pro hockey and we'll lose him next year

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I'm eager to see Paputsakis play. After not dressing on Friday, I would've thought he would be in today or at least splitting the game. Are they just resting him after he got hurt in that training camp game or are they giving Hughes a chance to prove hes worth an OA spot?

Last edited:
Reactions: OshawaFan2018

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I'm eager to see Paputsakis play. After not dressing on Friday, I would've thought he would be in today or at least splitting the game. Are they just resting him after he got hurt in that training camp game or are they giving Hughes a chance to prove hes worth an OA spot?

Hurt his knee in the last training camp game. Was told it was just a stinger but I'm sure that's why he's out. Playing it cautiously, as they should

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
It's pretty clear that the Gens aren't going to be pushed around by anyone this year. They came out very physical last night and that lasted for most of the game. Daniel Walker is an absolute animal and so big and mean and McSorley is a Sean Allen tough guy type who will be one of the best fighters in the league. You could see McSorley take that role last night when they were going after Antropov after his hit on Hardie and so the next shift McSorley jumps on and was letting Isaacson/McHugh/Callaghan on the draw that he was fighting one of them and they could decide who lol.

The problem that'll come with being so physical and tough is the penalties will come with that, especially in the new OHL where you can barely hit people. Especially for someone like Daniel Walker, you'll see him get the Hunter Smith treatment where legal hits for anyone else are still called as a penalty against him because he's so big and mean (that penalty he got in the 3rd last night was just a shoulder to shoulder hit that sent the guy into the boards but he was called for blindsiding). That'll be the biggest challenge for Walters this year is having the team play very physical but also staying on the right side of the line, which they did not do last night

An another note, Jacob Winterton can absolutely fly and I'm loving that trade. A 2001 born with those kind of wheels for an 8th round pick is something I'd do every single day

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I think Walker is going to be a fan favourite for sure. I know I’ve overheard people in my section upset with the lack of aggressiveness. We could be winning 5-2 and people would be rattled if someone didn’t finish a check.

Insiders tweeted that Roger was at the North Bay game yesterday too.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
I think Walker is going to be a fan favourite for sure. I know I’ve overheard people in my section upset with the lack of aggressiveness. We could be winning 5-2 and people would be rattled if someone didn’t finish a check.

I'm shocked NB didn't find a way to keep Walker, especially with a younger team.
Lots of experts at our barn claim there is no room for a "Walker" in the league.
North Bay fans will miss him, especially when he runs our team out of the building.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

Hunt was there looking at goalie Christian Purboo as per OHLinsider tweet.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Hunt was there looking at goalie Christian Purboo as per OHLinsider tweet.

I don’t know how much of an upgrade Purboo is over Hughes. Aside from not being an OA, he did face 41 shots in a 3-2 loss. Not sure if the line up in front of him was better on Saturday but both of their other goalies have been peppered with shots.

I haven’t seen any of our preseason games so I’m not sure how Hughes has looked. I just know last year he let in a lot of disheartening goals.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

A lack of aggressiveness certainly won’t be the problem this year. If anything, over aggressiveness will be the issue.

On Purboo, you should only get him if you think he’s a good OA goalie that you can win with next year. If you don’t think he is, don’t get him (or unless he’s very cheap)

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
Does anyone know when Paputsakis will get his 1st game action ? Is his injury serious or is the team taking all precautions to make sure he’s 100% before letting him get some game action ?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Does anyone know when Paputsakis will get his 1st game action ? Is his injury serious or is the team taking all precautions to make sure he’s 100% before letting him get some game action ?

It's not serious. I assume he'll play the next exhibition game, in 2 weeks

Reactions: Nerf27

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Hate to be pessimistic before the season starts but I am concerned that goaltending is going to be the Generals Achilles Heel this year. They have to come up with someone better than Hughes and Purboo is not. The Gens have had trouble drafting and developing tenders the last 10-15 years and their good ones have mainly been brought in by trades

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I stand corrected... should have checked my facts first... just thinking of Keyser and Altshuller etc.... forgot Brodeur, Baillie etc.! Mea culpa!

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Goaltending hasn't really been a issue in years passed, but this season it may, we just may have to score one more goal than the opponent :thumbu:

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
Is Oshawa interested in an over age goalie or would they rather find a reliable 00 to help groom Sbrocca & Paputsakis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad