Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Funny because I was going to say today was the first time Tomasino has looked bad since joining the Gens. Then he gets an assist on the tying goal with 3 minutes left and primary assist on the GWG in overtime lol

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Funny because I was going to say today was the first time Tomasino has looked bad since joining the Gens. Then he gets an assist on the tying goal with 3 minutes left and primary assist on the GWG in overtime lol
Thought the exact same thing

I would like these bad starts to periods to start going away. It’s funny how good they can look for a stretch but then can’t clear the puck out of their end or constantly turn it over in the Neutral zone. I thought McSorely played his role well today in his limited ice and was coming back defensively well.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Thought the exact same thing

I would like these bad starts to periods to start going away. It’s funny how good they can look for a stretch but then can’t clear the puck out of their end or constantly turn it over in the Neutral zone. I thought McSorely played his role well today in his limited ice and was coming back defensively well.

tomasino isn’t a good Winger for that. He’s good playing down low but when they switch and he’s the guy on the wall and the puck goes up to him, I feel like he usually struggles to chip it out if the D pinches down on him. A lot of the “Tomasino will be in the nhl next year” crowd seemed to think he could be an NHL winger next year. I don’t see that from a defensive viewpoint. He has a ways to go there

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
tomasino isn’t a good Winger for that. He’s good playing down low but when they switch and he’s the guy on the wall and the puck goes up to him, I feel like he usually struggles to chip it out if the D pinches down on him. A lot of the “Tomasino will be in the nhl next year” crowd seemed to think he could be an NHL winger next year. I don’t see that from a defensive viewpoint. He has a ways to go there
Agreed he still needs strength down low.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens will clinch a playoff spot if Niagara loses to Flint on Thursday. If Niagara wins, Gens would clinch if they beat Kingston on Friday

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
did any one hear the interview than Ryan Gagnier gave between periods at the Family day game, I did as I was @ the game but a friend that watch the game on TV said the We (the Generals) are learning a new defense system in order to keep the shots against down, WOW 54 games into the season and there learning a new Defense system.:eek:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
did any one hear the interview than Ryan Gagnier gave between periods at the Family day game, I did as I was @ the game but a friend that watch the game on TV said the We (the Generals) are learning a new defense system in order to keep the shots against down, WOW 54 games into the season and there learning a new Defense system.:eek:

That's not at all what he said. He said they switched a few things up a couple weeks ago to try to limit the shots and the last couple weeks since then they've allowed more shots while getting used to the changes but now they're starting to be more comfortable with it and it's working a lot better. He didn't say they are learning an entirely new defensive system now lol. Your friend does not have a future in transcribing interviews.

Seems like they've moving towards a much more man-on-man type system the last couple weeks. You see when the other team swings around the zone, the guy will swing with him rather than switching off like they were doing before. Allows to matchup guys like Gross and Brewer against the other teams star so they can't swing around the zone and then be matched up with a smaller winger instead of the guy the Gens want on him

Last edited:
Reactions: Naz

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
That's not at all what he said. He said they switched a few things up a couple weeks ago to try to limit the shots and the last couple weeks since then they've allowed more shots while getting used to the changes but now they're starting to be more comfortable with it and it's working a lot better. He didn't say they are learning an entirely new defensive system now lol. Your friend does not have a future in transcribing interviews.

Seems like they've moving towards a much more man-on-man type system the last couple weeks. You see when the other team swings around the zone, the guy will swing with him rather than switching off like they were doing before. Allows to matchup guys like Gross and Brewer against the other teams star so they can't swing around the zone and then be matched up with a smaller winger instead of the guy the Gens want on him
You are correct. Anything-even small tweaks- would be better than what we were doing. I still have my doubts about Kooy. I thought he changed my mind after a couple solid outings but he hasn’t been a consistent above average goalie. I’m not saying he’s not good, but when you pay for an NHL drafted goalie, you expect NHL drafted goalie stuff. I’m not seeing it. Hopefully he gets everything working soon and peaks at the right time.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You are correct. Anything-even small tweaks- would be better than what we were doing. I still have my doubts about Kooy. I thought he changed my mind after a couple solid outings but he hasn’t been a consistent above average goalie. I’m not saying he’s not good, but when you pay for an NHL drafted goalie, you expect NHL drafted goalie stuff. I’m not seeing it. Hopefully he gets everything working soon and peaks at the right time.

I mean, they do have the 4th fewest goals against in the conference. With OTT/PBO/MISS being 1/2/3, the 3 teams with an elite goalie. So I don't think the defensive "problems" are nearly as bad as what some people think they are

For Kooy, the problem is there aren't many elite goalies this year and next year that'll be even worse as Jones/Ingham/Daws all very likely to be gone pro imo.

Don't know what high end goalies will be available next year unless you draft one in the import draft

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

Like I said I was @ the game so didn't hear the interview, just got told this by a friend who watch the game.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
I mean, they do have the 4th fewest goals against in the conference. With OTT/PBO/MISS being 1/2/3, the 3 teams with an elite goalie. So I don't think the defensive "problems" are nearly as bad as what some people think they are

For Kooy, the problem is there aren't many elite goalies this year and next year that'll be even worse as Jones/Ingham/Daws all very likely to be gone pro imo.

Don't know what high end goalies will be available next year unless you draft one in the import draft
4 isn’t all that impressive when you look at the teams after that. And I don’t have a problem keeping Kooy, just saying I expected more.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
4 isn’t all that impressive when you look at the teams after that. And I don’t have a problem keeping Kooy, just saying I expected more.

But 4 is what they are, no?

They have the ability to beat anyone, but they're the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference so that seems about right

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
But 4 is what they are, no?

They have the ability to beat anyone, but they're the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference so that seems about right
Yes 4 is what they are. They could Be 3 or 2 if the defensive side was tighter. They could still beat anybody and then they wouldn’t lose to “just”anybody. I am satisfied, but what fan wouldn’t want the world if the world was there for the taking?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yes 4 is what they are. They could Be 3 or 2 if the defensive side was tighter. They could still beat anybody and then they wouldn’t lose to “just”anybody. I am satisfied, but what fan wouldn’t want the world if the world was there for the taking?

yeah that’s fair

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Random stat:

if Will Ennis plays the final 14 games this season, and then played all 68 next season as an OA, he'd finish with 313 games played, which would have him tied for the most games played in Gens history with Colin Suellentrop

Reactions: Whatanathol

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Interesting seeing all this stuff going on with Kelowna in their Mem Cup host season. It’s too bad they’re picking next years host before the tournament this year. I would be interested to see how the city of Kelowna supports the tournament if their team misses the playoffs and then looks completely outmatched in round robin play.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Interesting seeing all this stuff going on with Kelowna in their Mem Cup host season. It’s too bad they’re picking next years host before the tournament this year. I would be interested to see how the city of Kelowna supports the tournament if their team misses the playoffs and then looks completely outmatched in round robin play.
I assume most of the tickets are already bought from as soon as it was announced last year, so it'll probably still be full, just they'll probably be getting boo'd lol

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Has anyone commented on Kelowna releasing their coach, Adam Foote? Significance? Maybe I missed it?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Has anyone commented on Kelowna releasing their coach, Adam Foote? Significance? Maybe I missed it?

It's certainly interesting because I'd bet their pitch about on the ice is exactly the same as what SSM's is now. "We didn't make the playoffs but most of our roster comes back and we'll be good next year". We'll Kelowna is bad again this year...

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad