Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Yes it’s junior hockey but there will be a few changes before next year imo.
If they get the bid, they need a goalie.
Cranley will need to take over the reigns in Ottawa next year as an 18-year old. Maybe Andree would be a good fit for the Generals? Although I’m not sure the 67’s would trade him to a divisional rival, they did so with Wilson to the Pete’s. The question is, do you have room for an OA goalie?

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I was at the game tonight. It wasn’t a lopsided game. Propp played well but this is Kingston we are playing. These have to be two points. Kingston is a young team. The team hasn’t played well for awhile. I think we have a losing home record too.

Yes it’s junior hockey but there will be a few changes before next year imo.
If they get the bid, they need a goalie and at least two on d. Probably a line up front as well.

I was also at the game. They dominated them. Shots after 2 were 36-20. Don’t see how you could say that isn’t dominating and 7 of Kingston’s 20 shots came on the same PP in the first. So 5-on-5 that’s even more dominating. None of the Gens top 5 scorers (Tomasino, Tullio, McShane, Neumann, MacLean) had a point and they still went to OT and got a point, hard to be mad at that if you ask me

Gens have 33 points in 29 games at home (.569 points %)

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Cranley will need to take over the reigns in Ottawa next year as an 18-year old. Maybe Andree would be a good fit for the Generals? Although I’m not sure the 67’s would trade him to a divisional rival, they did so with Wilson to the Pete’s. The question is, do you have room for an OA goalie?

If they choose to go a different goalie, I'd prefer to add a 1 year NHL drafted Euro goalie in the import draft

NYR has to sign Gross so a spot will be open

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
What’s up with Suni? Still injured?
Just for cheering and the pool
Gens 4 Hammer 3 Tomasino
My thoughts Hammer 5 Gens 2. I think the Hammer might surprise someone in round 1

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I was also at the game. They dominated them. Shots after 2 were 36-20. Don’t see how you could say that isn’t dominating and 7 of Kingston’s 20 shots came on the same PP in the first. So 5-on-5 that’s even more dominating. None of the Gens top 5 scorers (Tomasino, Tullio, McShane, Neumann, MacLean) had a point and they still went to OT and got a point, hard to be mad at that if you ask me

Gens have 33 points in 29 games at home (.569 points %)
Shot clock seemed off imo.

ok I know you know all the stats so I get that no one can disagree or have a different opinion than you but having been a season ticket holder for 20 years and seeing a better home record in the past, this seasons home record hasn’t been great. We have home losses against the bottom teams in the league.

our 9-0 start was a big cushion or we would be battling for the 8th seed.

Last years team with a true number one goalie shows how far you can go in a year.

On a side note seeing that keyser has barely played this year is a head scratcher as if he were here I would say we could have competed this year.

I know the hope is to be host next year but honestly this team has to make more moves to be in the question of being a strong team capable of winning as opposed to showing up like Kelowna will this year.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Shot clock seemed off imo.

ok I know you know all the stats so I get that no one can disagree or have a different opinion than you but having been a season ticket holder for 20 years and seeing a better home record in the past, this seasons home record hasn’t been great. We have home losses against the bottom teams in the league.

our 9-0 start was a big cushion or we would be battling for the 8th seed.

Last years team with a true number one goalie shows how far you can go in a year.

On a side note seeing that keyser has barely played this year is a head scratcher as if he were here I would say we could have competed this year.

I know the hope is to be host next year but honestly this team has to make more moves to be in the question of being a strong team capable of winning as opposed to showing up like Kelowna will this year.
The team will look very different next year. They have the assets to change things. Look at 2015 as the roster certainly changes. Hunt is not afraid to do this and he has kept competitive teams. There are nice pieces moving forward.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
The team will look very different next year. They have the assets to change things. Look at 2015 as the roster certainly changes. Hunt is not afraid to do this and he has kept competitive teams. There are nice pieces moving forward.
I agree that hunt will make some moves for sure if they get the bid.

just feel some players I expected more from after last year have regressed.
Obviously tullio, tomasino and neumann have been consistent. Gross is our top d and I would put Jesus as our next best d and yet at the start of the year I would have been excited about Ennis , brewer, Moore and villati. To me they have regressed.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
I agree that hunt will make some moves for sure if they get the bid.

just feel some players I expected more from after last year have regressed.
Obviously tullio, tomasino and neumann have been consistent. Gross is our top d and I would put Jesus as our next best d and yet at the start of the year I would have been excited about Ennis , brewer, Moore and villati. To me they have regressed.
I would agree on Vallati and Ennis. I think you can see the spark on Moore and you have to figure a couple injuries have held his development a bit. Sometimes D take longer to come into their own. His skating is above average and he tangles with bigger stronger guys and holds his own. I think you will see a big step next year. Already seeing it last few weeks. Kooy also has potential to be one of the best next year as OA as an NHL scout saw something there. Consistency is his downfall now. But look at Ken Appleby when he came out of nowhere to be an elite tender. Maybe we get that in Paps (not attempting spelling) Tomasino will be top 3 in the league next year and to have that to build around is outstanding.

Reactions: OshawaFan2019

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Points in 6 straight, only 2 points back of PBO now with a game in hand

Paputsakis with another good game on sportsnet

Shot suppression has been a big talking point for the Gens lately and their last 6 periods for shots against are now:
13, 7, 9, 7, 9, 6

8.5 shots per period over those last 6 periods, which is very low

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Hoping Oshawa ties Peterborough today so I'll say Oshawa 5-3 with a Harrison GWG

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Since January 23rd (when PP1 became Tullio-McShane-Neumann-Vallati-Tomasino and PP2 became Suni-MacLean-Harrison-Gross-Moore) the Gens are 11/56 (19.6%) on the powerplay and only 4 of those 11 goals have come from powerplay 1.

So PP1 has just 4 goals on 56 attempts (7.1%) in the last 14 games. Vallati on PP1 is not working. Get Gross or Moore on PP1. They need someone who can move the puck better

PP goals since the change:
Tomasino
McShane
Neumann(2)

Suni(2)
MacLean(2)
Harrison(3)

Reactions: Whatanathol

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Great insight.

Gio has actually been playing better over last 2 games but I agree he is not a #1 PP guy. Doesn't have the confidence / skill with the puck that a Moore or Gross possess.

Gens really need a 22-25 min stud D man next yr, who can also put up points. The D is too static right now. #`12 and #25 have big upside for next yr.

Cant see Gio returning unless he has a monster finish over next 10'ish games and playoff run.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Great insight.

Gio has actually been playing better over last 2 games but I agree he is not a #1 PP guy. Doesn't have the confidence / skill with the puck that a Moore or Gross possess.

Gens really need a 22-25 min stud D man next yr, who can also put up points. The D is too static right now. #`12 and #25 have big upside for next yr.

Cant see Gio returning unless he has a monster finish over next 10'ish games and playoff run.

To me it's not even a "Vallati isn't a PP1 guy" thing necessarily but with all the skill on that unit, they need someone who can be an elite playmaker and that isn't Vallati. Often his passes aren't creative and that's where someone like Moore could help a lot and then Vallati can go onto PP2 and just let bombs go from the point, which fits his skill set a lot more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad