Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've seen 6 of the 9 Best Picture nominees:

The Irishman
Joker
Marriage Story
Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
Parasite

I will definitely be checking out Jojo Rabbit when I can. It kind of seems like it'll be a poor man's Wes Anderson movie to me, but I will still definitely give it a fair shot. I liked Lady Bird but I really don't have any interest in Little Women TBH. I also seriously doubt I'll ever see Ford v. Ferrari. Just not my type of movie.

To me I would rank the ones I've seen as:

1. Marriage Story
2. Parasite
3. 1917
4. Joker
5. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
6. The Irishman

I genuinely hated The Irishman. I'm not a fan of Scorsese or mobster movies to begin with, but almost everything about this put me off. Bloated, self-indulgent, boring, rehashing his usual cast in a way that just made me roll my eyes. I digested about half of it before I just gave up and had to get through at a later date. I get why people like Scoresese and his movies, but f***... I just hate it with a passion. It's the worst Scorsese movie I've seen and like I mentioned, I'm not a fan.

I thought Hollywood was good, but just way too bloated. It's one of those movies that I really liked certain parts of, but it didn't work to me as a cohesive thing. I loved the Pitt focused scenes like going to the ranch and the finale, and liked DiCaprio more in this than any other movie I've seen him in, but it just didn't fully click with me. Weak for a Tarantino movie, pretty good for a movie in general.

Joker has massive flaws, but I think Phoenix is just so captivating in it that it single-handedly elevates the movie. It by no means deserves all of these accolades, but Phoenix absolutely deserves all the praise he's getting. I go back and forth with this and Hollywood for what I actually like more. They're basically tied as far as I'm concerned.

1917 is just really good, even if it's lacking heart. Huge technical achievement. While I went into this kind of the same as I went into The Irishman with the drawback of not being a fan of war movies, this is one that still delivered in spite of that.

I think Parasite is one of those movies that I let the hype affect my general impression of. It's a movie I feel like should have clicked with me more than it did, but I still think it's excellent and one of the best of the year. It's just super difficult to not enjoy to some degree, and it's executed superbly. If you can get past the subtitles, it should be the most universally liked movie that was nominated.

I just love Marriage Story. While I don't feel like it has a real shot to win, which means I'll instead be hoping for Parasite to win, I just can't state how good I thought this was. Hilarious, amazing acting, fantastic script, packed with heart. Just an amazing experience that I've gone back to multiple times.

member 51464

Charlize Theron did a fantastic job embodying Megan Kelly. That's all I've got. Not sure that that merits a win in and of itself or not.

Parasite should win best picture based on what I've seen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems a little odd and suspicious that DiCaprio and Pryce were nominated for Best Actor while Hopkins and Pitt were nominated for Best Supporting Actor. The latter two were not supporting actors in their films, so it just looks like a way for the Academy to hand out two Best Actor awards and generate more viewership because more fan favorites are nominated. It also short changes the true supporting actors who might be less well known and need the recognition more.

I haven't seen Joker yet, but I agree that it leading with 11 nominations seems like an appeal to the mainstream and another way to generate interest. The same goes for all of the nominations for The Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which I have seen and wasn't very impressed by.

Charlize Theron did a fantastic job embodying Megan Kelly. That's all I've got. Not sure that that merits a win in and of itself or not.

The Academy might recognize the resemblance by awarding the movie Best Makeup and Hairstyling, instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Kinda feel like Apollo 11 should have got a best documentary nomination. I was blown away by the quality of the footage in it, and the way it was presented/edited was top notch.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kinda feel like Apollo 11 should have got a best documentary nomination. I was blown away by the quality of the footage in it, and the way it was presented/edited was top notch.
Might have been the most unexpected snub by the Academy. There were betting houses that thought it would not just be nominated but would win the Oscar. Especially given its subject matter, the omission is a huge surprise.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Might have been the most unexpected snub by the Academy. There were betting houses that thought it would not just be nominated but would win the Oscar. Especially given its subject matter, the omission is a huge surprise.
Who would you bet on now? In that whole category, I've only seen American Factory, which seems to have the most buzz of them all. Didn't strike me as Oscar-winning calibre though. Any of the others worth watching?

edit: just read your review on Honeyland. That one sounds like its worth a watch

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Who would you bet on now? In that whole category, I've only seen American Factory, which seems to have the most buzz of them all. Didn't strike me as Oscar-winning calibre though. Any of the others worth watching?

edit: just read your review on Honeyland. That one sounds like its worth a watch
I'd take a pass probably. Four horse race among For Sama, American Factory, The Cave; and Honeyland. The Cave made my top twenty list for the year, the only documentary to do so. But I don't like its chances against For Sama or American Factory.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Just now realizing that this seems to be a super weak year for best actor. None of the picks really stood out except maybe Phoenix (but he has a lot of hype around him)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just now realizing that this seems to be a super weak year for best actor. None of the picks really stood out except maybe Phoenix (but he has a lot of hype around him)
This is one of the best years in recent memory IMO, especially when you consider no nominations for Adam Sandler in Uncut Gems along with any performances from The Lighthouse or Ford v Ferrari. Nothing for De Niro either. Extremely strong year for best actor.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad