Best Documentary Feature
American Factory
The Cave
The Edge of Democracy
For Sama
Honeyland

Best Documentary Short Subject
In the Absence
Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)
Life Overtakes Me
St. Louis Superman
Walk Run Cha-Cha

Best Film Editing
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Parasite

Best International Feature Film
Corpus Christi (Poland)
Honeyland (North Macedonia)
Les Misérables (France)
Pain and Glory (Spain)
Parasite (South Korea)

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Bombshell
Joker
Judy
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Best Original Score
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Best Original Song
“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away,” Toy Story 4
“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again,” Rocketman
“I’m Standing With You,” Breakthrough
“Into the Unknown,” Frozen 2
“Stand Up,” Harriet

Best Production Design
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
Parasite

Best Animated Short Film
Dcera (Daughter)
Hair Love
Kitbull
Memorable
Sister

Best Live-Action Short Film
Brotherhood
Nefta Football Club
The Neighbors’ Window
Saria
A Sister

Best Sound Editing
Ford v Ferrari
Joker

Best Sound Mixing
Ad Astra
Ford v Ferrari
Joker

Best Visual Effects
Avengers: Endgame
The Irishman
The Lion King

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
There are a few things that I could have seen going differently (there’s always going to be that), but I agree with a vast majority of this list. I don’t really hate any choices, so that’s good.

The one that sticks out to me the most is Pryce. Was a bit shocked by that, but I’m really glad he got the nomination. Absolutely loved his performance!

It was a bit crazy Joker got that many, but it’s not totally shocking when you see what they got nominated for. I’m guessing that will only result in 2 wins, though - best actor and best original score.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
One of those interesting years where I don't think there's anything too egregious. Unlike last year where there was some outright awfulness. (2010 v. 2011 is another interesting comparison, at least for MY tastes).

I had some long(er) shot hopes that I was hoping might come to fruition — Knives Out as best picture, anything for Uncut Gems though a nod for Sandler specifically, anything for The Lighthouse — but I wasn't really banking on any of those to come true.

I am not a Joker fan at all. I don't think it's bad, per se. But I do not think it works. So the amount of nominations there is a little disconcerting for me though not surprising.

Parasite and The Irishman are my rooting interests.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
One of those interesting years where I don't think there's anything too egregious. Unlike last year where there was some outright awfulness. (2010 v. 2011 is another interesting comparison, at least for MY tastes).

I had some long(er) shot hopes that I was hoping might come to fruition — Knives Out as best picture, anything for Uncut Gems though a nod for Sandler specifically, anything for The Lighthouse — but I wasn't really banking on any of those to come true.

I am not a Joker fan at all. I don't think it's bad, per se. But I do not think it works. So the amount of nominations there is a little disconcerting for me though not surprising.

Parasite and The Irishman are my rooting interests.

The Lighthouse did get one nom!

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Irishman is overrated and only got nods due to who is in it. Pesci I can accept, the others not so much, even the directing was subpar

I personally liked Pacino more than Pesci, though I thought both were great. I think a lot of people expected DeNiro to get a best actor nod, though I am actually okay with him being left off.

Reactions: Voight

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Irishman is overrated and only got nods due to who is in it. Pesci I can accept, the others not so much, even the directing was subpar

I'd argue Scorsese deserves part of Joker's credit as well since that movie is so heavily, clearly influenced by both his King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

Reactions: Voight

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don't like to make definitive statements on movies because it is very subjective, and I am assuredly not an expert.

With that being said, Irishman was also a disappointment for me. Overly long, slow, hard to make it through the whole thing. Maybe it would have been better to see in theatres where it is easy to dedicate 3 hours to a movie experience instead of at home where so many things are going on and it's hard to make time for that.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Another stray observation. Back when Avengers: Endgame came out there was a least a little chatter/fan speculation that maybe it'd be a best picture contender. Beloved, makes lots of money, end of a series, etc. I thought that was silly then and still do now. BUT, now that the dust has settled and I look at the prominent IP-driven movies, particularly Joker and The Rise of Skywalker (another series ender, allegedly, that hypothetically might have been an awards contender if it was remotely good), I have to say I think Endgame is a far better movie than either of those two. I wouldn't have taken that bet back when Endgame came out, but here we are.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I don't like to make definitive statements on movies because it is very subjective, and I am assuredly not an expert.

With that being said, Irishman was also a disappointment for me. Overly long, slow, hard to make it through the whole thing. Maybe it would have been better to see in theatres where it is easy to dedicate 3 hours to a movie experience instead of at home where so many things are going on and it's hard to make time for that.
I agree and the acting was the least impressive part of the film for me. I thought Pacino was good, but it also wasn't a very challenging role.

But Pesci and DeNiro trying to act like they were 20-30 years younger than they actually are was laughable at points.

Internet seemed to want J-Lo and Sandler to get nods, and I'm a little surprised neither did. Award shows loves the big names, and beat actor and supporting actress aren't exactly stacked this year.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I agree and the acting was the least impressive part of the film for me. I thought Pacino was good, but it also wasn't a very challenging role.

But Pesci and DeNiro trying to act like they were 20-30 years younger than they actually are was laughable at points.

Internet seemed to want J-Lo and Sandler to get nods, and I'm a little surprised neither did. Award shows loves the big names, and beat actor and supporting actress aren't exactly stacked this year.

Best actor is extremely solid this year.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

Yeah. It's a good group. I wanted to see Sandler make which probably would have been at the expense of Bandaras, which would be wrong. I guess I'd bump Pryce though I liked his performance. I've dogged Joker a little, but Phoenix is great in it and I've been touting him for years as one of the best out there so I'll be happy when he get his inevitable recognition, even if I'm not crazy about the movie.

Honestly, my FAVORITE performance here is Leonardo DiCaprio, which might make some people laugh if you're familiar with my ramblings and bugaboos around these here forums. (Short version: He's overrated and often plays the same character). But that's not the case at all in OUATIH where he's funny and vulnerable and a little dopey. Great work by him. A much more deserving role than The Revenant.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah. It's a good group. I wanted to see Sandler make which probably would have been at the expense of Pryce (who I also liked). I've dogged Joker a little, but Phoenix is great in it and I've been touting him for years as one of the best out there so I'll be happy when he get his inevitable recognition, even if I'm not crazy about the movie.

Honestly, my FAVORITE performance here is Leonardo DiCaprio, which might make some people laugh if you're familiar with my ramblings and bugaboos around these here forums. (Short version: He's overrated and often plays the same character). But that's not the case at all in OUATIH where he's funny and vulnerable and a little dopey. Great work by him. A much more deserving role than The Revenant.

Interesting. I think I would go with Phoenix as the top, followed by Driver, then Leo. But, all were amazing. I was a bit surprised to see Pryce get the nod, but I am happy with it. He was so good. Would have also been fine with Sandler, as I loved his performance and that entire movie.

Even if I don't totally agree with every nomination, I am okay with almost all of them. Not many totally shock or upset me.

I will say, I do wish Uncut Gems got something. I loved that movie so much, so it's disappointing to see it get completely shut out.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Maybe the names, but idk about the performances. Driver and Phoenix were gimmies (haven't seen Banderas film), but Leo didn't exactly steal the show and the Two Popes performances didn't do it for me. I suppose there were others who didn't get the nom like Pattinson, but I don't think there was a ton separating the 3-8 best performances

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There are a few things that I could have seen going differently (there’s always going to be that), but I agree with a vast majority of this list. I don’t really hate any choices, so that’s good.

The one that sticks out to me the most is Pryce. Was a bit shocked by that, but I’m really glad he got the nomination. Absolutely loved his performance!

It was a bit crazy Joker got that many, but it’s not totally shocking when you see what they got nominated for. I’m guessing that will only result in 2 wins, though - best actor and best original score.

Yeah, I had the same reaction on Joker. Although, best director is likely one that will receive some criticism, as I imagine the lack of any female director nominations will be a sore point for some, especially since there were a number of films that could have contended there this year.

But, I think Jokers nomination success is driven by the Academys need for big and popular films to do well enough to drive ratings, and Joker is the highest grossing movie of the films that has been in awards contention.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
- Give me Pitt for Best Supporting Actor. Mahershala Ali's reign is over :laugh:
- Best actor? Not a very good field this year IMO. Maybe thats because the ticket was stacked with good picks last year.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I half wanted The Lighthouse to get snubbed from cinematography so I could complain about it, but it looks like they just couldn't ignore it lol. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but to me seeing Dafoe snubbed from the best supporting actor category is just something I do not understand. It reminds me of when Gyllenhaal wasn't nominated for Nightcrawler. I've seen all of the other movies exept for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, and Dafoe blows them all out of the water. I also think it not getting a nomination for production design is crazy if you do even a little bit of research as to what they did to build those "sets".

I am very pleasantly surprised at the Animated Feature category. I Lost My Body and Klaus were two of the best animated movies I've seen in a long time, I thought maybe only one would make it in though.

I'm also really pleasantly surprised to see Ad Astra get a nomination for sound. I thought for sure it was getting the cold shoulder for nominations like it was from all the others.

I haven't seen it yet but I knew Sandler wouldn't get a nomination for best actor. Still, it's surprising to see 0 nominations for Uncut Gems. The Lighthouse was the only A24 movie in general to get a nomination. I thought for sure that between The Farewell and Uncut Gems, that wouldn't have been in the case.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad