Movies: Oscar Nominations: The Complete List

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Question for the more knowledgeable people here on the editing category

I haven't seen it yet, but my understanding is that 1917 is filmed as if it's one continuous shot. That's obviously not feasible in a war film, and making that appearance I would think should warrant a nomination. It's one of the elements that has me intrigued by the film.

For those that have seen it, is this as big as omission as it appears?

I recall Birdman had also getting snubbed in this regard, and people criticizing that. Am I not interpreting the challenge this would have on an editor? It seems like it would be extremely difficult.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Question for the more knowledgeable people here on the editing category

I haven't seen it yet, but my understanding is that 1917 is filmed as if it's one continuous shot. That's obviously not feasible in a war film, and making that appearance I would think should warrant a nomination. It's one of the elements that has me intrigued by the film.

For those that have seen it, is this as big as omission as it appears?

I recall Birdman had also getting snubbed in this regard, and people criticizing that. Am I not interpreting the challenge this would have on an editor? It seems like it would be extremely difficult.
I don't think it's a big deal at all. If you go into the movie with the knowledge of the one shot technique, it actually becomes pretty obvious when the cuts happen (like whenever they go by a large rock, if it goes from a well lit space to a dark space, if someone walks by close to the screen, etc.). Not that it isn't impressive to blend the shots together so it works, and a lot of the time if you do know there's a cut it's how the shots themselves were designed rather than the editing, but there's more to editing than just blending shots together, which a movie like 1917 doesn't even give itself the opportunity to showcase. It's very much a one-trick pony in a way, so I don't think it's a big deal to see it left off.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I don't think it's a big deal at all. If you go into the movie with the knowledge of the one shot technique, it actually becomes pretty obvious when the cuts happen (like whenever they go by a large rock, if it goes from a well lit space to a dark space, if someone walks by close to the screen, etc.). Not that it isn't impressive to blend the shots together so it works, and a lot of the time if you don know there's a cut it's how the shots themselves were designed rather than the editing, but there's more to editing than just blending shots together, which a movie like 1917 doesn't even give itself the opportunity to showcase. It's very much a one-trick pony in a way, so I don't think it's a big deal to see it left off.

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Random thing that legitimately had no shot to get nominated, but The Last Black Man in San Francisco was easily my favorite score of the year. I didn't see Little Women, but I thought the other 4 were underwhelming. Joker is still good though, it's definitely my favorite out of all those.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Random thing that legitimately had no shot to get nominated, but The Last Black Man in San Francisco was easily my favorite score of the year. I didn't see Little Women, but I thought the other 4 were underwhelming. Joker is still good though, it's definitely my favorite out of all those.

Yeah, I think Joker is easily the favorite there.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Really surprised Lupita Nyong’o didn't get a nom as best actress for Us.
That performance was just so hokey to me. Her voice made everything comical at moments when it was trying to be scary. I hated that movie though, I get the appeal of playing two different parts so I can't judge anyone that wanted to see her get a nomination. I think this was the year to do it as well. I think there's a big disconnect between how strong the lead acting performances were for the men vs. the women.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I feel like Jojo Rabbit, Little Women and Ford v Ferrari have no shot at Best Picture, but I can see paths for all the others. It feels like last year where there's no clear front-runner. Maybe I'm a bit biased with Marriage Story because I liked it so much though, not getting a Best Director nomination probably isn't good for its chances.

I feel like Parasite has a stronger chance than Roma did last year, even though I went into the Oscars thinking Roma was going to win.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I feel like Jojo Rabbit, Little Women and Ford v Ferrari have no shot at Best Picture, but I can see paths for all the others. It feels like last year where there's no clear front-runner. I feel like Parasite has a stronger chance than Roma did last year, even though I went into the Oscars thinking Roma was going to win.

Yeah, trying to gather my predictions, and I cannot figure out best picture at all.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I’m glad I watched Marriage Story after Rise of the Skywalker because it served as a reminder to me that Adam Driver actually is a really good actor.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I’m glad I watched Marriage Story after Rise of the Skywalker because it served as a reminder to me that Adam Driver actually is a really good actor.
I think him vs. Phoenix is really interesting, they're two of the best performances in years IMO. They're such drastically different types of performances that it's tough to compare the two, and I honestly don't know which one I liked more. I expect it to be Phoenix though.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Joker getting a Best Director nomination is lunacy.
I agree, although I don't think it's surprising after all the buzz it's getting. I do like the movie, but it's one of those movies that works as a sum of its parts, not as a cohesive thing. Incredible lead performance, good/solid score and cinematography. I think the script and direction were pretty weak.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I feel like Jojo Rabbit, Little Women and Ford v Ferrari have no shot at Best Picture, but I can see paths for all the others. It feels like last year where there's no clear front-runner. Maybe I'm a bit biased with Marriage Story because I liked it so much though, not getting a Best Director nomination probably isn't good for its chances.

I feel like Parasite has a stronger chance than Roma did last year, even though I went into the Oscars thinking Roma was going to win.

Roma probably was hurt by anti-Netflix sentiment, which is probably lessened a bit.

Parasite chugging along in theatres probably helps its case. It's probably getting a bump from its nominations.

I agree that it seems wide open right now.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I have a collection of quibbles--too little respect for The Lighthouse; no Adam Sandler (I can't believe I just wrote that but there it is); Atlantics should have got a nod in the "international film" category (thank goodness for the long overdue name change, though); too much love for The Joker (I thought Greta trumped Todd easily, for one example); no Kang-ho Song in the supporting actor category for Parasite--but overall, this is as fair a line-up as one is likely to get from the Academy. If Clemson wins tonight, I will probably like it even more.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
too little respect for The Lighthouse;
no Kang-ho Song in the supporting actor category for Parasite
What are your thoughts on no Dafoe for supporting? When I was tracking all the awards talk and nominations for other awards I knew it wasn't going to happen, but the fact that it didn't happen still blows my mind. He's been nominated before (multiple times recently), he has that "due" narrative of being a very well respected older actor that hasn't won, and the performance itself was of a more flashy nature as well, that should lend itself to people seeing that it was noticeably good. What was missing here? It doesn't make sense to me.

Don't watch if you haven't seen the movie but:

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm not usually one for "showy" performances, but when they're this fun, I can't help but love them. The journey of emotions both played and elicited from the start to the end of the "Hark" monologue is just astounding. Dafoe is so good in that movie, and he and Pattinson play off each other perfectly.

Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler was another fun showy turn I thought deserved recognition when it came out.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

I think it'd be amazing if Parasite won, but it's hard not to feel like it'll be easy to pat it on the head with the international award and leave it at that, similar to Roma last year.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think it'd be amazing if Parasite won, but it's hard not to feel like it'll be easy to pat it on the head with the international award and leave it at that, similar to Roma last year.
I just feel like Parasite is the only one that literally everyone seems to like. You really don't hear any criticisms about it. There's also a tie-in to what the movie is about that is relevant to society today, so it's not like it's just a movie that they'll see as pure entertainment.

is close to that and I think is a serious contender, but still some people say it feels a bit soulless and is just style over substance.

I think Marriage Story is really well liked, but the Netflix thing and no Best Director nomination may hold it back.

The Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are really similar I think. Carried by huge name directors and actors, but really divisive in terms of people saying they're not among their best movies, and feeling like they're too long and bloated.

Joker is obviously insanely divisive. It just feels like it's possible they could do it to change the Academy's reputation about blockbusters or comic book movies not getting enough recognition. They caved a bit on that end by nominating Black Panther. I would be absolutely shocked if it won though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad