Oscar Klefbom's silent elite defensive season

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m pretty sure he’s always had good underlying stats, maybe someone correct me, but I think last year is the only he’s really only struggled
And it was well known that he was playing hurt.

Rarely do players go from being as good as he was 2 years ago to being as bad as he was last season while in their prime for no reason.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
I don't like his shot.. The whined up and follow thru sux.

Give me a Pulock, Shea Weber, Ellis, Parayko, Subban, Seabrook, Ekblad, Josi, Doughty, Keith, Dumba, etc... style type shot. Huge Whined up/back swing and a follow thru.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think the important thing is that it is proving that last year was really about the injury problems for him. He was a #1 dman for the Oilers 2 seasons ago, and hes playing like that again.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I hated him to start the year. Kind of average and bumbling plays.

Hes been much better the pasr few games. Hes had some great scoring chances too jumping into the play.

Thank god.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
And it was well known that he was playing hurt.

Rarely do players go from being as good as he was 2 years ago to being as bad as he was last season while in their prime for no reason.

It happened to Brodie

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
His issue isn’t shot velocity, it is accuracy or when he shoots, he almost never waits for traffic to get to the net
He has terrible timing. I would argue that his problem is he gives the opponents too much time to get into defensive position.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Does this mean that Nutivaara is good?

Edit: Not trying to bait compliments for a fellow Finn. I’m more interested in knowing how good these advanced metrics are at showing a player’s qulity of play since Nutivaara does not strike me as being the best in anything, which he seems to be according to this criterion.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I've noticed that it's taken him considerably longer to get his slap shot off this season.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Guess it's a good thing the Oilers are in cap hell, otherwise Chia probably trades low on him after the season he had. (and probably adds the 1st which became Bouchard)

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
What’s the problem, has no one called the Flames defence elite in the last 16 seconds?

Don’t fool yourself. Klefbom is excellent.

"Is" excellent, or has been excellent? Seems you weren't so sure of yourself just a few weeks ago...

Oilers:

Strengths:

McDavid
Centres generally
Bottom six depth
Toughness
Young, high ceiling defencemen

Weaknesses
Proven top six wingers
No #1 defenceman
Roster deadweight
Special teams

Unknowns
Which Talbot is the real Talbot
Can Klefbom/Larsson return to 16/17 form
Can at least 1 or 2 of Rattie/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto keep up their strong preseason play
Can the new coaches fix the special teams
Can Lucic just be sorta ****ty instead of completely ****ty

... well, yeah. Outside of a bunch of guys underperforming and some injury problems on the blueline our big flaws last year were no goaltending depth, no forward depth, and a lack of right shots.

Koskinen’s overpaid likely, but adding two of those three will help us. I know you’re hoping to see stupidity like us trading Draisaitl for Parayko but smart gambles on depth guys like Brodziak, Rieder, and Comeau is actually the smart move until we know what the full story is with guys like Talbot and Klefbom who had one excellent year and one meh year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
"Is" excellent, or has been excellent? Seems you weren't so sure of yourself just a few weeks ago...

He was excellent in 16/17, pretty good his rookie season and when he had his season cut short by MRSA, not as good last year due to playing injured and pretty damn good so far this year. The question was whether he could bounce back from a meh year by his standards last year and so far he has and then some.

I’m not sure I’d give him #1 defenceman billing quite yet, but he’s definitely walking the walk this season.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Of all defenseman that's played 200 minutes 5on5, he has the 2nd best chance suppression relative metrics to his teammates behind only Nutivaara. Only difference is when Klefbom is on the ice his team allows less goals and scores more goals. He's also generating 3.25 shots per game in all situations, meaning he's been extremely unlucky scoring wise. All of the Oilers big guns both offensively and defensively suffer tremendously away from Klefbom as well. Yup even McDavid.

Second most important player on that team, not surprised that since he's doing well, the Oilers are playing better. D core lives and dies through him.

Reactions: snipes

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Relative possession metrics mean nothing when Kris Russell and Matt Benning are on your team.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Klefbom is a good player and is having a good season but it consistently overrated by the analytics community.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
He was excellent in 16/17, pretty good his rookie season and when he had his season cut short by MRSA, not as good last year due to playing injured and pretty damn good so far this year. The question was whether he could bounce back from a meh year by his standards last year and so far he has and then some.

I’m not sure I’d give him #1 defenceman billing quite yet, but he’s definitely walking the walk this season.

Never realized his infection was MRSA. Thats a bitch to treat

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Contrary to what some think there are good players other than McDavid on the oilers, the problem is not all of them are good...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Never realized his infection was MRSA. Thats a ***** to treat

Staph infection that morphed into MRSA. If I remember right it got into his system from a cut in his knuckle and a minor case of lace bite turned into 50 missed games, surgery, a skin graft and custom built skates. Frankly he’s probably lucky to be playing pro sports at all, never mind at his high level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: A91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad