Player Discussion Oscar Klefbom

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He’s night and day compared to last year.
That said, would like him to tee it up more often on the PP.

Almost every PK unit knows his first move is to pass it to McDavid

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

But they still score lol. I think being healthy is going a long way aa well

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006

They need to work off the left half boards more if they're dead set on keeping that silly 5L setup. That way they can utilize one timers for once.

Reactions: frag2

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A couple of seasons a go, Klefbom played like a top-10 defenceman.

Then he got injured and had surgery. After that he has never come close to that level.

What are your thoughts about him at this point?

A good #3?

you do realize against the preds he played 30 minutes?

so far this year TOI
20:41
22:37
23:51
24:03
28:04
30:09
28:16
26:17
30:15
25:56

a case could be made he is our most reliable D man right now

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

so far this year TOI

Wow that is 1d toi. If he can increase his offense to 45 ish points he will be a bonafide 1d. Rn he is a solid #2 imo (the offense isnt as high as he needs to be a #1).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

so far this year TOI

He and rest of the top-4 have been very good this season, giving the team a chance win every night

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Klefbom deserves more talk. He's been a rock so far this year.

Averaging the 2nd most minutes out of any player in this league AFAIK and he's only been a minus-player twice so far this season.

Been a plus-player for six straight games and has been +10 in that stretch, averaging 26:34 minutes a game.

To my eye he's been jumping into the play a lot more this year so far as well, although he hasn't been able to convert on any of his chances so far, but he's on pace for 38 points over a full season, not too shabby.

Klefbom really is the lynchpin of this team. As he goes, the Oilers goes. And anytime he's been healthy he's been really good.

I think he's underrated by this fanbase due to how quiet his game is, but the guy logs huge minutes and when he's healthy you almost never see him make any glaring errors out there. And this is while playing against the opponents best every night. That's certainly not easy but Klefbom makes it look effortless. Only taken one penalty all year to boot.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Klefbom deserves more talk. He's been a rock so far this year.

Averaging the 2nd most minutes out of any player in this league AFAIK and he's only been a minus-player twice so far this season.

Been a plus-player for six straight games and has been +10 in that stretch, averaging 26:34 minutes a game.

To my eye he's been jumping into the play a lot more this year so far as well, although he hasn't been able to convert on any of his chances so far, but he's on pace for 38 points over a full season, not too shabby.

Klefbom really is the lynchpin of this team. As he goes, the Oilers goes. And anytime he's been healthy he's been really good.

I think he's underrated by this fanbase due to how quiet his game is, but the guy logs huge minutes and when he's healthy you almost never see him make any glaring errors out there. And this is while playing against the opponents best every night. That's certainly not easy but Klefbom makes it look effortless. Only taken one penalty all year to boot.
He gets slept on so much in the way that Lindholm out of Anaheim does. Both are not flashy players at all and dont put up beastly numbers offensively, but they are steady rocks that their team can depend on night in and night out. If Klef plays like this for the entire season I won't hesitate to call him a bonafide #1d. Rn he's a good #2, great #3 by my eye.

Reactions: Zaddy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Klefbom has been so smart and steady in the D zone this year. Huge difference from last year. He’s better now in his own zone than he’s ever been, and with the minutes he’s able to play and still be effective, he’s very very close to becoming an elite d man in this league, litterally the only thing holding him back is his ability to score like some of the best d men in this league. But Klefbom gets his fair share of shots on net, if some of these start going in for him, the hockey world will start recognizing him as a true #1.

I’ve read a couple comments that Klefbom can’t get shots on net. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Klefbom ranks 6th in shots so far this year, ahead of PK, Burns, Karlsson, Dumba, Byfuglien, Letang, Klingberg. If the Oilers can help him out a bit by being better net front presences and/or Klefbom learns to time his shots better..... we could see the emergence of a True #1D on these Oilers.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
He is our no.1 D, maybe not an elite all-star no.1 D, but for us he's the closest we got right now. As Klefbom goes, so goes the team, I've been thinking that for a while.

15-16 Oilers - 14-15-2 with Klefbom healthy and that was with McDavid injured. You have to think if McDavid was healthy that record is probably more like 16-13-2.

16-17 Oilers - We know the record there.

17-18 Oilers - Injured again, terrible team.

18-19 Oilers - Healthy, team looks a lot better.

I don't even know what it is, but I think he impacts this team far more than Nurse or Larsson.
I agree, how goes Klefbom how goes the team, but it shouldnt be like that.

When hes a little off, he needs to know how to drop down his game and play safe. Currently he has no capability of that at all.

They are also trying to shoe horn him into that top power play. Its a bad fit.

It will be interesting how he will play once they make adjustments.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Obviously two goals in the last three games is an anomaly, but he is 26th in the league in points from d-men and one of 14 of those players with a positive plus minus (only +1 though).

Hopefully he can be more of a threat on the PP and he can end the year with something like 10g/30a.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klef has been a beast. Is playing awesome. Is putting up points. Is playing better defensively than I thought possible. Is just entering his prime years as a defender. Is on a sweet contract. Not to defend Chiarelli but have to point out one of his great signings.

Just as a reminder tho...Was also hot garbage last year.

Klefbom is currently playing at top pairing level. Larsson has not been carrying him this year, where as in 2016 2017 I felt Larsson was always doing the heavy lifting.

However with all that good and still room to grow I'd be surprised if ever reached true elite #1 status. There is still a big gap between a Doughty level defender and him.

It would be awesome if he took that next step. Pushed himself to be better. He is a very competitive guy but I'm not sure he has it in him to get to that next level consistently...

And really, that's OK. One of the biggest reasons he isn't at, or more than likely will be at that level, is because of health. He needs to push himself to be better always but also needs to stay healthy. A tough balance. If he can stay healthy and maintain this level of play he can help this team WIN. And that's all that matters. Stay healthy push himself and the team to win as he has this year is great.

If he can keep this up and play at this level or slightly better consistently I think we can have a team that makes the playoffs consistently and do damage as well. The word cup is not hard to say when you see how much improved he has been this year compared to last.

It's a guy like Nurse that needs to take that next step and be consistent. Hopefully Klefbom can help Nurse avoid some of the lows that he himself had.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bouchard
Sekera (?) Russell (?)
Gravel Benning
Jones Bear
Lagesson Persson

We really do have a plethora of good to great defensemen and prospects. So much better than anything seen in the last decade. While not elite imo good and much better in general.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's had a lot of ups and downs this year. Some really inconsistent play. There was about a 10 game stretch where he and Larsson were just getting destroyed in GA.

Playing well right now. Still making a lot of mistakes defensively though. Even last night.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I think he is playing very well and being somewhat consistant. The only place I really don't like him is on the PP. I think Hitchcock has a lot of confidence in him and feels comfortable having him on the ice for long stretches. I don't really consider him to be a true offensive-defenseman but he is a great all around player.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Klef has been a beast. Is playing awesome. Is putting up points. Is playing better defensively than I thought possible. Is just entering his prime years as a defender. Is on a sweet contract. Not to defend Chiarelli but have to point out one of his great signings.

Just as a reminder tho...Was also hot garbage last year.

Klefbom is currently playing at top pairing level. Larsson has not been carrying him this year, where as in 2016 2017 I felt Larsson was always doing the heavy lifting.

However with all that good and still room to grow I'd be surprised if ever reached true elite #1 status. There is still a big gap between a Doughty level defender and him.

It would be awesome if he took that next step. Pushed himself to be better. He is a very competitive guy but I'm not sure he has it in him to get to that next level consistently...

And really, that's OK. One of the biggest reasons he isn't at, or more than likely will be at that level, is because of health. He needs to push himself to be better always but also needs to stay healthy. A tough balance. If he can stay healthy and maintain this level of play he can help this team WIN. And that's all that matters. Stay healthy push himself and the team to win as he has this year is great.

If he can keep this up and play at this level or slightly better consistently I think we can have a team that makes the playoffs consistently and do damage as well. The word cup is not hard to say when you see how much improved he has been this year compared to last.

It's a guy like Nurse that needs to take that next step and be consistent. Hopefully Klefbom can help Nurse avoid some of the lows that he himself had.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bouchard
Sekera (?) Russell (?)
Gravel Benning
Jones Bear
Lagesson Persson

We really do have a plethora of good to great defensemen and prospects. So much better than anything seen in the last decade. While not elite imo good and much better in general.
Sekera I don't see returning this year, Larsson seems to be struggling as of late.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's had a lot of ups and downs this year. Some really inconsistent play. There was about a 10 game stretch where he and Larsson were just getting destroyed in GA.

Playing well right now. Still making a lot of mistakes defensively though. Even last night.

Disagree. He's been a rock for most of the year. Went through a rough stretch recently (maybe he's still in it, I don't know, haven't really watched much of the last 2-3 games) but outside of that he's been incredibly solid.

Remember this is a guy playing HUGE minutes. He's 4th in the league in TOI per game with an average of 25:45 minutes played, ahead of Ryan Suter and just behind Doughty, Jones and Letang. He doesn't have a single game under 20 minutes this season. Even if you were to remove his PP time he's still 8th in the league in ES minutes per game.

Considering he's not an elite #1D and most likely never will be, what he has done in all those minutes is really good and deserving of appreciation. The fact that some people think he's not even a top pairing D is ridiculous.

Reactions: Oilhawks

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
He’s a beast. He’s racking up points the last few games while being solid defensively for the most part. You can tell the coach trusts him a lot since he plays Klefbom 25 minutes every game. I can see a future #1D in Klefbom

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Hitch commented in last game's pre-game imterview that 25 min/GP is really the floor for him. He should play more.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad