Confirmed with Link: Oscar Fantenberg to Flames for cnd. 4th Round Pick in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Prout’s decision-making is slow but that’s legitimately the only problem I have with his game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is what I said about Fanta on Reddit earlier

I think this is a really under the radar move. The Flames have been interested in Fanta for 4-5 years now, Hagelin is a great scout over there and if Treliving is still trying to get him after this long, he really sees something in him.

Kings fans seem pretty complementary of Fanta which is pretty rare when a guy is traded to a rival. Also, hearing him described as a good skating, moderately physical, smart stay at home type that you don't notice for games on end sounds pretty good to me. Especially if we match up against a "heavier" team in the playoffs.

Reactions: Corpus X

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So.. is he like a superior TSpoon or something? Jokkipakka ilk? A guy in the same range as Kulak, but defensive rather than offensive minded?

I can't find much on the guy...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So.. is he like a superior TSpoon or something? Jokkipakka ilk? A guy in the same range as Kulak, but defensive rather than offensive minded?

I can't find much on the guy...
I'd say the latter is probably the most accurate.

Reactions: Fig

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I saw 6'0, 206lbs...For some reason this alone makes me happy. Know nothing about this guy, but hey, I've been asking for some size for a while. Hope he's a solid stay at home type that I don't notice a whole lot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I saw 6'0, 206lbs...For some reason this alone makes me happy. Know nothing about this guy, but hey, I've been asking for some size for a while. Hope he's a solid stay at home type that I don't notice a whole lot.
That's exactly how Burke described him on SN. We've been scouting Fantenberg since he was still in Frolunda per Treliving, which was 4-5 years ago. So, Burke would actually be privy to Tre's thoughts on Fanta and what our scouts said. He mentioned Fanta is a good skater, thinks the game well and is the kind of guy you won't notice for games on end.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I stole this from a couple of posts that sureLoss made on CP:

some reading on Fantenberg from a couple of years:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2017/05/02...ar-fantenberg/

Quote:
Fantenberg, 25, stands roughly six feet and weighs 200 pounds and was named to the 2017 KHL All-Star Game but did not play because of an injury. He had three goals, 23 points and a minus-three rating in 44 games with KHL-Sochi in 2016-17, one year after putting up four goals and 17 points in 43 games with SHL-Frolunda. The left-shot defender has never played in a North American League but came up through the IF Troja-Ljungby and HV71 ranks, and made his debut in the highest level of Sweden’s domestic circuit as an 18-year old with HV71 in 2009-10. He represented Sweden at the World Junior Championship in 2010 and during Euro Hockey Tour tournaments in 2013, 2015 and 2016.

The process of scouting and signing Fantenberg was undertaken heavily through the work of Assistant General Manager Michael Futa and Head European Scout Christian Ruuttu, and I also spoke with Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yannetti to get his sense on the signing, as well. The consensus seems to be that Fantenberg has always been a player who plays with pace and reads the ice well and has in recent years raised his defensive performance to go along with his transitional skills. It seems to be that he’s a player who should compete for a spot on the team at training camp but could also be bound for AHL-Ontario.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Another write up. from a year ago

http://mayorsmanor.com/2018/02/la-ki...ings-number-8/

Quote:
All of that said, his ultimate future with the Kings is still being written. Understand, it is a huge step to come over from Europe and try to play on the biggest stage of them all. There are smaller rinks in North America, different systems to learn, the style of play is different, etc. He had a good camp, then excelled in the beginning of the NHL season; when things weren’t as tight, not as checking, not as hard. As the season moved along and the games became more normal, it was clear to management he was struggling. It was time for him to get some more seasoning in the AHL. They wanted him to get more minutes in Ontario and to have a chance to be a dominate player at that level.

One of the best things about Fantenberg is his willingness to earn his spot. Unlike most undrafted/college free agents these days, he wasn’t looking for a team that would guarantee him playing time. Quite the opposite, actually, as he made it clear to all of management that he wanted to earn his spot. He didn’t want anything handed to him. It was known from Day 1 that he would likely be spending some time in the AHL… and he was perfectly OK with it. There are some players who might say that, but not really mean it deep down. This guy is a rare breed. He meant every word of it. He wasn’t just about giving sound bites, he is sincere.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Quote:
On the ice, he isn’t the biggest of defenders. Standing 6-foot tall, he is thick though, unlike a normal 18-year-old recently drafted player would be. Fantenberg is also an offensive guy – a good puck mover — and that’s where he will eventually contribute more. There are other areas of his game he still needs to work on, and that’s where coach Mike Stothers and the team in Ontario will help round out his potential.

Prior to being signed, scouting reports came in on him all over the board. Some saw him as a speedy puck mover, some as a stay-at-home type of defender. He’s never been a big producer on the score sheet and likely won’t develop that part of his game at this point. He was usually a plus-player (for what it’s worth) in Sweden, but never extraordinarily high. He’s also older than the organization’s top defensive prospects; yet he’s also in his fifth year of professional hockey, having played in Sweden’s top league before moving on to the KHL last year.

In summary, Fantenberg’s chance to gain a regular spot in LA is a real one. Although, as always, it is ultimately up to him to seize it. He would do well to accentuate one other piece of his game – albeit his shot, or passing ability, something has to push him into at least the Kevin Gravel or Jake Muzzin range for him to have a shot at a long-term home in SoCal. At the current trajectory, he factors into the team’s 2018-19 roster plans, if not sooner.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Two Words:

Brennan.
Evans.
See I disagree.

Evans was a 4/5 AHL defenseman that only had a cup of coffee on the Flames when our organizational depth looked about as bad as the Oilers does now.

Sure, Fantenberg is only meant to be a safe/reliable 6/7 option, but I expect his ability to actually skate and handle 5 on 5 minutes may be more similar to Toni Lydman then Evans.

Brennan Evans is to Tyrone Garner

As

Fantenberg is to Jamie McClellan

Jamie McClellan wasn't anything special but he was a sh** load more serviceable then Tyrone Garner or Dylan Ferguson.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
See I disagree.

Evans was a 4/5 AHL defenseman that only had a cup of coffee on the Flames when our organizational depth looked about as bad as the Oilers does now.

Sure, Fantenberg is only meant to be a safe/reliable 6/7 option, but I expect his ability to actually skate and handle 5 on 5 minutes may be more similar to Toni Lydman then Evans.

As

Jamie McClellan wasn't anything special but he was a sh** load more serviceable then Tyrone Garner or Dylan Ferguson.
Our depth was good in 2004. We had 8 NHL defensemen heading into the playoffs, by the end of round 1 we were down to 6. Being forced to play Evans is a perfectly apt defense of lots of playoff depth. We've already been 1 injury from playing Valiev already a couple times this season and he was our 10th defenseman at the time.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
See I disagree.

As

I think you're missing the point. I don't have a problem with Fantenberg, I am saying that we don't want a repeat of the Brennan Evans situation.

All it takes is an injury to Giordano and an injury to Brodie and an injury to Hanifin and an injury to Hamonic 20 games into the playoffs before you're rolling

Kylington-Prout
Valimaki-Stone
Valiev-Andersson

You can live with that right side depth.

On the left, how much do you trust Valiev, who hasn't even played an NHL game this year? How much do you trust Fantenberg, who logged a 40 minute playoff game.

Valiev is basically our version of Brennan Evans. A guy we would have zero trust in if the unthinkable happened (four injuries in our top 6 defense).

Brennan Evans represents the worst case scenario - so many injuries on defense that you have no choice.

Further, you're mis representing our defensive depth heading in the 2004 playoffs

Leopold
Regehr
Lydman
Warrener
Gauthier
Ference
Montador
Commodore

That was actually a blueline that was eight deep. Ours is currently nine deep albeit with questions about Stone's health.

Having that one extra body you trust is how you avoid playing Rinat Valiev in game 6 of the SCF.

It is worth a 4th round pick.

I was all aboard the Jokipakka hype train and I deserve to be shamed for it

I can't help but wonder if Jokipakka's success here was due to Hartley's system of stretch passes and "always forward" breakouts. As soon as Gulutzan inplemented short, lateral passing on the breakout Jokipakka got exposed for a fraud. Maybe in a quantum divergence somewhere Hartley never got fired and Jokipakka became our #4D and we are on year 3 of the Gio-Brodie Jokipakka-Hamilton runs and Hartley is still beaming with clever words in interviews.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Excited to see Fanta tonight.
I'm thinking he'll be Prout's replacement most nights. I don't see Dalton getting much game action after tonight.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You may be right, but Prout has had a really good year considering how little he has played.

I honestly think Prout's been really consistent this year.
Like, I know he gets shit on because he has no real upside outside of a #6 knuckledragger, but I feel he hasn't been horrendous this year as a guy who'll play 14-15 minutes a night... maybe some PK.

I just think Fanta has more upside; and a little less worry if he's out there against a top 6 line. Like, with Dalton you have to protect him 5v5, I think Fanta gives you more flexibility.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Excited to see Fanta tonight.
I'm thinking he'll be Prout's replacement most nights. I don't see Dalton getting much game action after tonight.

Fanta is a LHD. Prout is a RHD. Outside of Brodie, Peters has stuck with the LHD/RHD setup. I don't see Fanta as a Prout replacement, just the same sort of depth Prout provides but for LHD.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I honestly think Prout's been really consistent this year.
Like, I know he gets **** on because he has no real upside outside of a #6 knuckledragger, but I feel he hasn't been horrendous this year as a guy who'll play 14-15 minutes a night... maybe some PK.

I just think Fanta has more upside; and a little less worry if he's out there against a top 6 line. Like, with Dalton you have to protect him 5v5, I think Fanta gives you more flexibility.

I'm starting to think he has Engelland upside.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I can’t believe that no one else sees that we’re adding all these Swedes to facilitate signing Karlsson this summer. He’s even faking an injury in San Jose to crush their spirits before the playoffs

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad