Injury Report: O'Rielly - LTIR - Ryan O’Reilly takes the ice in a 🛑 sweater

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Ryan O'Reilly participated in his first practice since breaking the index finger on his left hand on March 4.

"It feels good," the 32-year-old centre said. "We're progressing. It's not 100 per cent yet and we got to be smart. The goal is to be 100 per cent for the playoffs so being smart with that. It was nice to get out there and skate with the guys. We're getting close."

"It's a big step for him," said head coach Sheldon Keefe. "It's nice to have him with the group. Obviously it brings a lot with his energy and personality. And then, of course, it helps us fill some of the gaps. When you're injured you miss some things and especially for a new guy coming in there's some things that you're covering that he's not up to speed on as much."

O'Reilly skated on the fourth line while wearing a no-contact sweater.

"Shooting and passing feels great," he said. "It's just the other stuff and the stick battles and all that and just being able to trust it and be 100 per cent strong in that. It's going to come. It is progressing. I feel like I could push it harder, but there's no point. Like, we just have to be smart with it and make sure it heals the right way and that will help me down the road."

"He's feeling really good," Keefe said. "It's just a matter of the doctors being satisfied and making sure we're minimizing risk as much as we can."

After being traded to Toronto from the St. Louis Blues on Feb. 17, O'Reilly played eight games before being felled by an Auston Matthews shot in Vancouver.

"I saw it was crooked and I kind of knew it wasn't good," O'Reilly recalled of the injury. "I was really disappointed, but I'm here for playoffs so that's all that really matters."

After undergoing surgery on March 7, O'Reilly was told the timeline for his return would be four to six weeks. This coming Tuesday will be the four-week mark, but O'Reilly says there is no target date for his return yet. He does anticipate getting into a few games before the playoffs.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
you really take the Leafs too seriously if you believe what happens to them affects peoples moods

and i'm just trying to be consistent so after endlessly reading how getting married and having children negatively affected JT's play why wouldn't we all be concerned about trading for players in the same situation ?
While I don't think you are being all that serious, I think leaving the human aspect out of athletes is crazy.

Boeser certainly struggled after his father passed, and I would suggest all athletes deal with issues year in year out.

As with the rest of us, they will all handle it differently

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Well obviously, it’s a 20-30 second clip of him in practice lol. What can you honestly take away from that clip.
As Leaf fans? We tend to make mountains out of mole holes based on what the players wear to the game or type of coffee they drink. So 20-30 second clip = He was a waste of picks and this team is doomed how could Dumbass be aloud to keep doing this???

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to put a lot of pressure on ROR in my head. He was the big playoff add, and he's now got very little time to get used to things before playoff games start.

I really want this guy to be a difference maker.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Glad to have him back. Won’t be an easy first game back considering it’s against the Bruins but at least he’s got a few regular season games to get his form back.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Someone was mentioning at home put ROR on the wings for the playoffs and away games put him 3rd line C. Makes sense for last change etc.

Maybe they'll try him out on 3C tomorrow against Boston to see how it goes.

Main thing is we need options for taking face offs whatever line he’s on IMO. Until his hand is 100% and ready to take 15 face offs against Point/Bergeron a night, I’d keep him with something like Kampf-Acciari or back on the Tavares line.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to put a lot of pressure on ROR in my head. He was the big playoff add, and he's now got very little time to get used to things before playoff games start.

I really want this guy to be a difference maker.
He will be .. guys eats sleeps and sh*ts hockey man .. he is a "you gotta kill me to beat me type"

Reactions: saltming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad