O'Reilly needs an O'Rolex Watch - Summer 2014 - Arbitration Date: 7/23/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wonder if they could have a nice open conversation at the last minute if final offers fall through?

Sakic could say something like, "look, we both know where we stand in relation to $6M being the max. We have a disagreement on whether it's fair to use $6.5m as a starting point, and that's ok. You can elect for a one year deal, and if the arbitrator comes back at $6M or under, we'll match that on a medium length contract when you can re-sign in January."

"This will allow you to have UFA rights while you're still relatively young in 4-5 years. If they come back and offer closer to $5.5M, we'll still give you the $6M AAV on our final offer."

"If they come back and determine your salary should be north of the $6M, we'll find a team that is willing to accommodate your long term salary requests."

Sounds relatively fair, and open and honest to me. Just put all the cards on the table.

I wouldn't be surprised with some variation of this, considering that two former players are the ones running the team.

It's just weird how cordial Colorado has been in the media regarding the player. Also considering O'Reilly's comments.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wonder if they could have a nice open conversation at the last minute if final offers fall through?

Sakic could say something like, "look, we both know where we stand in relation to $6M being the max. We have a disagreement on whether it's fair to use $6.5m as a starting point, and that's ok. You can elect for a one year deal, and if the arbitrator comes back at $6M or under, we'll match that on a medium length contract when you can re-sign in January."

"This will allow you to have UFA rights while you're still relatively young in 4-5 years. If they come back and offer closer to $5.5M, we'll still give you the $6M AAV on our final offer."

"If they come back and determine your salary should be north of the $6M, we'll find a team that is willing to accommodate your long term salary requests."

Sounds relatively fair, and open and honest to me. Just put all the cards on the table.

Why would O'Reilly do that? If Stastny gets $7M as a UFA, O'Reilly will easily get that. Especially since no team (except Avs) let their talented players go to market.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Why would O'Reilly do that? If Stastny gets $7M as a UFA, O'Reilly will easily get that. Especially since no team (except Avs) let their talented players go to market.

It all depends on if he really does want to be with the team long term. AND that is also the answer as to 'why' he would do it, for some sort of longer term contract security.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand

So the Avs should be like "if the arbitrator comes back with low or middling salary, we want you to sign for term, but if he comes back saying we are being stingy, then goodbye and let's see what we can get?"

Fair would be agreeing to taking the one year deal and an extension stipulating a 3% annual raise for the length of the contract, regardless of the length or base salary (~$61m over the 8 following years, or $25.9m over 4, using $6m for net year as base).

Otherwise, sign the long term deal before, or do the negotiating after the arbitrator's decision. I am betting on option 2, with arbitrator ruling $5.75m for one year, or $12m for 2y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad