Confirmed with Link: O'Reilly/McGinn Traded To Buffalo For Zadorov/Grigorenko/Compher/31st Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's off the team, the biggest thing is that we won't have this ongoing "saga" every summer. Why can't that be enough for some? Why can't we just move on ourselves?

He signed his home run deal yesterday. It's a current event. Wait a day or two and I think people won't care much. I doubt there will be much interest in O'Reilly until Avs play them the first time.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah people need to let it go "already". I know it's really soon after but the day he went to Buffalo was the day I stopped caring what Ryan O'Reilly does. No need to be checking out every little move he does and discussing it to no end like he's your recent ex that you're following on facebook.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Just think, after this thread disappears, it might be the last time we ever have to see the name O'Reilly on our front page :)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
7.5m per is fine for ROR. It is currently an over payment for him, but Buffalo will be fine. I'm completely okay with the Avs not paying that amount. It would have hurt the Avs cap wise going forward. On the Avs he would be clearly behind Landy, MacK, Varly, and EJ at very least and I would include Duchene in that group. A team in a cap world can't pay their 5th/6th best player 7.5m and still be able to build a well rounded team. IMO all parties win in this trade... Avs, Sabres, ROR, Zadorov, Grigs, etc.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bad comparison. If Tavares had an agent with a brain, he would have never signed the contract he did. He would have taken a bridge deal, like Duchene did. And then he would have cashed in after that because he was just getting better every year. If I was Tavares I would have fired my agent by now.

Yeah obviously things have changed with salary cap going up etc. But can you honestly tell me with a straight face that ROR should be occupying approximately 10% of any teams salary cap? I don't think anyone can, that's way too much for that caliber player.

You can't tell me that's a bad example yet you're still trying to compare contracts signed years ago to the contract O'Reilly signed.

Fact is that is going to be the going rate for players these next few years, the better players will make more and the similar players will make slightly less, if not the same as O'Reilly. The cap is going to go up and contracts will go up with it. That's just how contracts work.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
For me the bar on the trade is if Zadarov and Grigorenko improve as player and at least one of Compher, Greer or the other two pick turn out.

I do wish more of what other teams were interested and what was offered.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm more hopeful about Compher's future than Grigs'. I just can't see how a guy so timid around the boards and retrieving pucks could survive under Roy. We all saw what happened with PAP and Grigs is a very similar player in many ways (slug speed, weak on the puck and along the boards, talented playmaker that wows you one shift then disappoints you the next by floating, ineffective in any role other than top-6 with sheltered defensive minutes, an underwhelming shot, lack of overall intensity, weak on the defensive side of the puck, etc)

Obviously I hope he puts my doubts to rest but he's definitely not the solution to our 3rd line C problem.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm more hopeful about Compher's future than Grigs'. I just can't see how a guy so timid around the boards and retrieving pucks could survive under Roy. We all saw what happened with PAP and Grigs is a very similar player in many ways (slug speed, weak on the puck and along the boards, talented playmaker that wows you one shift then disappoints you the next by floating, ineffective in any role other than top-6 with sheltered defensive minutes, an underwhelming shot, lack of overall intensity, weak on the defensive side of the puck, etc)

Obviously I hope he puts my doubts to rest but he's definitely not the solution to our 3rd line C problem.

This is a very outdated critique of Grigorenko. He's improved his skating, shot, faceoff skills, and two way play, significantly since this was the case; all while becoming more and more effective in puck battles as he's gotten stronger and stronger. And he's putting a lot of work in to keep improving.

He's a pretty safe bet to start the season as our 3rd line C unless MacK just takes over to push Soderberg down into the 3C spot much sooner that expected, or Greg has an unreal camp and wins a top 6 spot. But let's not get ahead of ourselves on that front.

Compher is an exciting get as well though. He, Everberg, and Bleackley, could give us some great young bottom 6 depth in a few years that can really play and kill penalties extremely well.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
We don't have to deny that Grigorenko is a bit of a gamble here. There has been a lot of question marks surrounding this kid for a while. But Roy probably has a better chance than any other coach to get this best out of him. It's worth the gamble. Zadorov, the key piece, is a different story. Very promising first year in the NHL and plays the position we need upgrade on the most.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
From this offseason, all it's really shown is if you are a good player during your ELC, you can essentially determine what you want in $ as if you were UFA. If your team is not willing to give you what you want in salary, you can sign an offer sheet. Or you'll be traded to a team that WILL pay your demands.

ROR, Hamilton and Saad are perfect examples of players who controlled their salary compensation after their ELCs. The scary part, there's nothing the GMs can really do about it. Offer sheet compensation is very low.

If I'm a player with an ELC that just ran out and say, I want 6M. But the market dictates I'm really more of a 4.5M player, all I need to do is threaten to sign an offer sheet or give me 6M. Im either going to get traded to a team willing to pay me that OR some dumb GM will give me the offer sheet OR my team caves. All three of those options need to be exhausted before I finally give in to a 4.5M contract. That is, unless I'm willing to hold out.

Messy situation if your player wants his money.

Actually giving huge long contracts to young RFA's is more logical than giving them to older UFA's and then worrying how fast they will decline. Players usually don't get better in early 30's.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Well when this thread ends there shouldn't be a need for part 2 so we'll let it die then. So speak now or forever hold your peace.

Why are you guys seemingly so hell-bent to shut down a discussion topic? It's a current event, it on-topic, and people want to discuss it.

Anyone who doesn't want to discuss it any longer, doesn't have to visit the thread or read the posts. As always.

Respectfully, please leave it be.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I think grigs will be the steal of this trade he put up points in the ahl and still had 4 points in 9 NHL games with the worst team in the league. Give him proper pp time and play him with some non sabres linemates and he should be a decent player with the potential to be a great player.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Why are you guys seemingly so hell-bent to shut down a discussion topic? It's a current event, it on-topic, and people want to discuss it.

Anyone who doesn't want to discuss it any longer, doesn't have to visit the thread or read the posts. As always.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the discussion continuing.
The fallout/effects of this trade are going to continue for a long time, so I don't see why the discussion shouldn't.

FoppaForsberg*

This x 1000. Mods have done a great job at maintaining some order since the draft but I do not like how they've been shutting down conversations just because they get a little heated, that's a byproduct of a good debate. Let it sizzle out on its own, please.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think grigs will be the steal of this trade he put up points in the ahl and still had 4 points in 9 NHL games with the worst team in the league. Give him proper pp time and play him with some non sabres linemates and he should be a decent player with the potential to be a great player.

We definitely bought low. The tools are there. I think Roy will get him back on track. If not, no big deal. He was just the "prospect" in the trade. But I'm pretty confident Roy will turn him into a top 6 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad