Confirmed with Link: O'Reilly/McGinn Traded To Buffalo For Zadorov/Grigorenko/Compher/31st Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm very glad that Avs will in no way over pay players

First Stastny 7 mill, now O'Reilly 7.5 LOL...

This players are so not worth the money they are getting

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Bold prediction for this coming season: Soderberg outscores O'Reilly, provided both stay healthy, and all the media pundits out there, or at least the ones who give a **** about the Avs, will claim what a brilliant move it was by Sakic.

I don't find that to be a bold prediction. Soderberg is going to have some quality line mates. Any combo of MacK, Landy, Grigs, Rantanen, Tanguay etc.

The top 4 wingers on Buffalo are Ennis, Kane, McGinn, and Moulson. I would assume they are going to give Eichel every chance to succeed so they'll probably give him Moulson and Ennis. Leaving Kane and McGinn as RORs most likely wingers. And Kane will probably get hurt half way through the year, making Gionta or Foligno to move up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ROR top out around 50 pts. I could see Soderberg closer to 60 if the Avs play to their capabilities offensively, and figure out how score a goal on the PP occasionally.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think anything said here is any different than what's been said for a long time now. It's definitely not kicking the guy out the door, nobody is even discrediting his play. It's natural to have this reaction, he hasn't even been gone a week yet. I'm sure we'll put it past us soon, it was a long time coming.

After that OS he wasn't signing an extension until this summer even if Roykic had managed to make the marriage work, so what was the point of worrying about it until this summer was upon us? Nothing was getting resolved until the threat of UFA forced this to end in either an extension that brought the speculation to an end or in a trade that brouth the speculation to an end.

I hoped the new regime would find a way to make it work but since last summer I knew it was coming. You can't say it was no big deal though, the number of pages and threads on his board alone refute that. Yeah there's no sense worrying about anything but I'm not wired that way, some people aren't. And to say that it didn't profoundly affect the fanbase over that course of time is pretty dismissive. What O'Reilly is going to do has been a primary topic of conversation for three years.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
To be fair, he's pretty much the opposite of a "bum". He works hard.

No matter how hard he works he's in no way worth 7.5 mill

He makes 1 mill less than Crosby? That's how bad he's overpaid.

Maybe a bum is little harsh, but I'm also glad he's gone. Would of liked to have him but not for 7.5. I'd give him 6 maybe, tops.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It was a big topic of conversation, but I never understood why people would get emotional about it. Speculating about what might happen I completely understand; it's letting that speculation become emotionally taxing that I don't get.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
No matter how hard he works he's in no way worth 7.5 mill

He makes 1 mill less than Crosby? That's how bad he's overpaid.

Maybe a bum is little harsh, but I'm also glad he's gone. Would of liked to have him but not for 7.5. I'd give him 6 maybe, tops.

This x1000, on what planet should ROR be making only 1M less than the best player in the game?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
That contract is crazy, I never would have expected ROR to be making that amount of money this quickly into his career. I know it kind of makes sense given the state of the NHL, but that contract would really hurt us.

Meh, not worth it.

Last edited:

FoppaForsberg*

This x1000, on what planet should ROR be making only 1M less than the best player in the game?

Can't compare contracts signed under the previous CBA to the current one. Completely different.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Are we really comparing contracts signed years apart?

I don't see a lot of people putting ROR's contract up against Toews, Kane, Getzlaf or Perry.

The main board is even worse. :laugh:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Well 10.5 for Toews and Kane is as rediculous as ROR 7.5. The only thing that makes Toews and Kane contracts look somewhat reasonable is because the Hawks are winning cups but that doesn't mean those 2 worth 10.5 mill

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Well 10.5 for Toews and Kane is as rediculous as ROR 7.5. The only thing that makes Toews and Kane contracts look somewhat reasonable is because the Hawks are winning cups but that doesn't mean those 2 worth 10.5 mill

Those two guys have also proven that they (personally) show up when it counts most. Big time clutch players.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Those two guys have also proven that they (personally) show up when it counts most. Big time clutch players.

Bottom line is this is a numbers game, paying 10.5 mill to players who don't come close to 100 point seasons is rediculous.

Edit: there are plenty of clutch players who make half of what Toews and Kane make

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think both of those players have proven they are worth those huge contracts. I thought they were ridiculous at first, but they just keep winning

Winning is the most important thing. Points don't mean anything

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Bottom line is this is a numbers game, paying 10.5 mill to players who don't come close to 100 point seasons is rediculous.

Edit: there are plenty of clutch players who make half of what Toews and Kane make

Could you list some of these clutch players that win Stanley Cup roughly every other season?

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011

points don't matter, wins and championships do.

crosby would trade every point he could score in exchange for a cup.

Do you think Toews thinks: "man, the cup was great and all, but I really wish I put up 20 more points instead"

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Could you list some of these clutch players that win Stanley Cup roughly every other season?

You making it sound as if hockey is a 2 men game. Toews and Kane didn't win the cup on their own , it's a team sport, and if we are talking clutch players, Keith was their best player in the playoffs by far, so how come he's not making 10.5 mill a year?

If some people think points don't matter when it comes to getting paid then Keith is the one should be getting the most money on the Hawks.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sitting back and reading through that main board O'Reilly thread like......

749.gif

Have fun, Sabres fans.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
I can't even understand how someone would disagree with that. For God's sake, standings are primarily ordered by points. How in earth do you find wins more important?

this is either a language issue or you being artificially obtuse. He obviously thought you were talking about individual scoring points re:kane and toews, and here you are trying to make it sound like the whole time you were talking about standings. be a straight shooter in your arguments instead of bending things your way just to have your blowout moment, JF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad