GDT: Optimism Train! Devils @ Predators, 2 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Anyone else realize the last two Devils victories are via 3 goal deficits? Weird.

Also I was wondering if Hynes sent out Cammy and Hall together yesterday during OT? Or was that because one of them couldn't get off for a change?
Just curious because I think Cammy and Hall together is pretty lethal and something that should maybe go on for a few shifts during regulation at some point during the games if possible..or highly unlikely because they both play LW?

Cammalleri/Hall have been out there times 5-on-5 when the team needs a boost. They have looked very good together too.

But the team is much better off spreading them out for a majority of the game.

Camille the Eel

Cammy looked completely gassed after the game winner and he was stuck out there for a while, that play was the second odd man rush the length of the ice, the prior one ended when Severson shot the puck wide, everyone raced to the Devils end, where the Preds turned it over and, then we went back the other way, and voila the winning play.

Cammy couldn't stand up straight during the celebration, the way he was sucking for oxygen.

That was not the least interesting part of the play. How both he and Hall found the oxygen to get down the ice and finish.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Cammy looked completely gassed after the game winner and he was stuck out there for a while, that play was the second odd man rush the length of the ice, the prior one ended when Severson shot the puck wide, everyone raced to the Devils end, where the Preds turned it over and, then we went back the other way, and voila the winning play.

Cammy couldn't stand up straight during the celebration, the way he was sucking for oxygen.

That was not the least interesting part of the play. How both he and Hall found the oxygen to get down the ice and finish.

Great players have that little extra reserve and won't give up because they're tired.

I love that we have 2 star players on this team, I think Hall is Kovalchuk's level and Cammy is Parise's level and although it seems like a downgrade it really makes up for what the team has been missing for all these years.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And by some reason I still don't comprehend, Devils scored 4.

They got lucky. That's pretty much it.

Poor goaltending by Pekka ''Top 5 goaltender in the world'' Rinne. He looked like Rinne of the better part of 4 years yesterday and the one that was awful against the Sharks last playoffs. He was totally clueless on the Greene goal and the Henrique game tying goal was a bad one.

But I'm sure someone will tell me it's a ''Narrative'' as if I'm making up these poor numbers for Rinne over the last 4 or 5 years and that they're not reality. He's had a strong start to this season, but he had a poor 3rd period. Kinkaid was much better yesterday.

We had 5 shots combined in the 3rd period and OT. The only shot that wasn't a goal was the Fiddler shot that created the rebound for the Greene goal.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Apparently shot attempts were 30-9 in favor of the Preds in the third period and OT.

And by some reason I still don't comprehend, Devils scored 4.

If you only count our shots from Hall's goal to the end of the game, we scored 5 goals on 12 shots.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If you only count our shots from Hall's goal to the end of the game, we scored 5 goals on 12 shots.

Wow. I found Laviolette's reaction in his post-game reaction pretty funny. It was basically just a "wtf" reaction and that the Predators just got massively unlucky in the third period and OT.

I found that four goals on the last five shots stat that was thrown around last night pretty funny especially since Greene's goal was off of Fiddler's rebound. That was the "fifth" shot in that stat.

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
When Devils win its considered "lucky" and when Devils lose still "lucky" for the other team. You need some luck to win obviously, but come on the most important players on the team really stepped it up in the last game.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
When Devils win its considered "lucky" and when Devils lose still "lucky" for the other team. You need some luck to win obviously, but come on the most important players on the team really stepped it up in the last game.

It's just weird seeing us score so many goals on so few shots when we're so used to barely scoring any goals on more shots.

I can't even remember the last time we scored 3 or more goals as many times as we have recently (5 of the last 6 games).

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It's just weird seeing us score so many goals on so few shots when we're so used to barely scoring any goals on more shots.

I can't even remember the last time we scored 3 or more goals as many times as we have recently (5 of the last 6 games).

We're in the middle of the pack in goals for, which is pretty awesome to see.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

If you're down 4-1, are killed in the shot attempts department (30-9), and still manage to win, then there is no way that cannot be considered lucky.

Not that it's a bad thing, I'll take a lucky two points over 0 points every single day.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
on pace for 215 (or around there) which is good for the devils teams weve watched the last few years....i ve been hoping for 220 or so for the same few years so ya, this is nice

now lock it down a bit and it would be much sweeter

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

They played a God awful, miserable game. It looked like they were all hungover. It was one of, if not the worst, games I've ever had to see live. They absolutely got lucky.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Poor goaltending by Pekka ''Top 5 goaltender in the world'' Rinne. He looked like Rinne of the better part of 4 years yesterday and the one that was awful against the Sharks last playoffs. He was totally clueless on the Greene goal and the Henrique game tying goal was a bad one.

But I'm sure someone will tell me it's a ''Narrative'' as if I'm making up these poor numbers for Rinne over the last 4 or 5 years and that they're not reality. He's had a strong start to this season, but he had a poor 3rd period. Kinkaid was much better yesterday.

that's not what makes it a narrative. it's a narrative because, like most of your opinions on here, you say it over and over and over and over and over. i'm not trying to be an ass but i wanted to make the distinction

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
that's not what makes it a narrative. it's a narrative because, like most of your opinions on here, you say it over and over and over and over and over. i'm not trying to be an ass but i wanted to make the distinction

Thanks for your opinion on the matter.

I've very much enjoyed it.

Camille the Eel

If you're down 4-1, are killed in the shot attempts department (30-9), and still manage to win, then there is no way that cannot be considered lucky.

Not that it's a bad thing, I'll take a lucky two points over 0 points every single day.

Don't leave the two on one where Woods' fanned on his shot out of the game "narrative" either - right after we got within a goal we had a chance to tie it, probably a better chance than Henrique's power play. Wood was pretty much in clean and never got the shot away, the puck slid off his stick. So while La Violette is grousing, and people are calling us lucky, I think we should have had the game tied within a couple of minutes of pulling within 1.

Wood needs to relax when he gets in that position. The puck slid off his stick on that penalty shot too in game 1.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Don't leave the two on one where Woods' fanned on his shot out of the game "narrative" either - right after we got within a goal we had a chance to tie it, probably a better chance than Henrique's power play. Wood was pretty much in clean and never got the shot away, the puck slid off his stick. So while La Violette is grousing, and people are calling us lucky, I think we should have had the game tied within a couple of minutes of pulling within 1.

Wood needs to relax when he gets in that position. The puck slid off his stick on that penalty shot too in game 1.

That was our only other chance I can remember we had. We basically ended the game scoring on 3 out of our only 4 chances in the third. That is not something that will happen very often, hence the lucky part.

Camille the Eel

I guess it comes down to what you think of as "luck."

Every one of those goals was a grade A golden chance. Rinne left two rebounds on the first two but they were shots where that would happen. The Henrique goal was a beautiful finish and Rinne was screened by a jumping Hall.

So statistically improbable 3 out of 4 chances yeah, and if anything statistically improbable is "luck" than bingo we were lucky.

But none of those goals was a fluke (introducing another intellectual category, the "Fluke"). For me if they're not Flukey than LaViollette can't write them off. Hell Philadelphia beat him too the next night, didn't they?

Fact is that we are consistently coming back on teams, now from deep holes, and when you keep doing it, either within a game or game after game, that's no "Fluke."

DevilWithin

Feb 24, 2015
New Jersey
I guess it comes down to what you think of as "luck."

Every one of those goals was a grade A golden chance. Rinne left two rebounds on the first two but they were shots where that would happen. The Henrique goal was a beautiful finish and Rinne was screened by a jumping Hall.

So statistically improbable 3 out of 4 chances yeah, and if anything statistically improbable is "luck" than bingo we were lucky.

But none of those goals was a fluke (introducing another intellectual category, the "Fluke"). For me if they're not Flukey than LaViollette can't write them off. Hell Philadelphia beat him too the next night, didn't they?

Fact is that we are consistently coming back on teams, now from deep holes, and when you keep doing it, either within a game or game after game, that's no "Fluke."

I think the Preds got lucky too sometimes on some of the goals. But with Hall, Cammy, and Henrique as the snipers I wouldn't be surprised to get some goals on a low percentage of shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad