OPPF Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
McCrimmon played more years in Philly and had by far his best offensive years there. And he's often cited for those years.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
McCrimmon played more years in Philly and had by far his best offensive years there. And he's often cited for those years.

Yes, but his best Norris years were in Calgary.I don't know what to do with him, you guys decide.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
just an aside, but Sports Illustrated had Scott Stevens and Brett Hull (not Belfour) the MVPs of their respective teams heading into the 2000 finals.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
just an aside, but Sports Illustrated had Scott Stevens and Brett Hull (not Belfour) the MVPs of their respective teams heading into the 2000 finals.

Well, Sports Illustrated or Ken Hitchcock? But yeah, Hull was the other obvious candidate.

Hull finished 1st in goals and points in the playoffs that year, not surprising he would be called MVP (I assume he was leading the team prior to the Finals).Anyway, even if Belfour would be only the 2nd best Dallas players, it's still a crucial role which is what VanI was asking.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So only McCrimmon left to decide.Flip a coin?

Though honestly if we're very strict, he should go to Calgary unless his record doesn't tell the whole story.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Only 3 seasons in Calgary is tough to sell. Although I was surprised to see he only had 5 in Philly. My gut still says Philly. Reads like one of those situations where he was overshadowed by Howe in Philly and then when he went to Calgary it made everyone realize that it wasn't Howe and he was good on his own, but without his level of play really changing. Can anyone verify this?

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Only 3 seasons in Calgary is tough to sell. Although I was surprised to see he only had 5 in Philly. My gut still says Philly. Reads like one of those situations where he was overshadowed by Howe in Philly and then when he went to Calgary it made everyone realize that it wasn't Howe and he was good on his own, but without his level of play really changing. Can anyone verify this?

I can't verify this, but it makes sense intuitively.OTOH that would explain the first year, but what about the second year in Calgary where he still finished 6th in Norris (higher than anything he got in Philadelphia) despite a significant drop in his offensive production from the previous 4 years (43, 56, 39, 42, then 22 pts)?

And Calgary had Gary Suter and Al MacInnis too, so he was more or less overshadowed there as well.In fact, both years one of them finished higher in Norris voting than McCrimmon.It really was a Big Three while it lasted.

Also he led the league in +/- his first year in Calgary, so that could explain why he got so much recognition if people were impressed by that.

I don't know what to make of it, but his Calgary years appear better on paper.

Brad McCrimmon Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Maybe we should insert a ''Joker'' player (like a Joker card), which can go to any franchise :sarcasm:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I asked seventieslord to do the lottery, wasn't sure if Theokritos was logging in regularly in July so figured I'd ask someone else too.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You guys can swap entire sets of picks before drafting your first player if you want.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The clock still starts only Monday at noon (EST).People can make their pick if they want, but no rush until then.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Newport Mesa Ice Kings checking in.

icekingslogo2-768x239.png

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We might get some action tonight.

I'm working on the main post to turn it into a draft list.

Preparing a chart to indicate which GM picked from which franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad