OPPF Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Since the number of teams is getting pretty high, I suggest we revise the clock structure to speed it up.

1st-2nd round: 12 hours
3rd-12th round: 8 hours
13th-21th round: 6 hours

thoughts?

This isn't a real ATD, it's a fun summer game, it should go quicker.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Call me the Calgary Cowboys

wha--calcow75.gif

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
tinyzombies is in

wow 12 teams within 24 hr in july, so much for the death of this section

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Here's a couple that should be addressed right now, for clarity:

Clint Benedict - Ottawa
Max Bentley - Chicago or Toronto?
Marty Barry - Boston or Detroit?
Roy Conacher - Boston or Chicago?
Ed Belfour - Chicago or Dallas?
Sergei Gonchar - Washington or Pittsburgh?
George Hay - Pre-NHL?

Often it's whether to choose the place where they had their best RS vs. the place where they won the cup.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Bentley - Chicago for sure were his best years! He was the 3rd center in Toronto not the team leader in a stacked cup winning squad.

Hay is in the atds because of his pre-nhl exploits.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Roy Conacher is HARD to decide. His early career success in Boston and huge role in a cup win were impressive. But his Art Ross Hart trophy finalist season was in Chicago. He scored more in Chicago but the league expanded the number of games by a lot. I think the difference maker, given he was equally impressive in both cities, is his length of tenure - he played longer in Chicago. Besides, history books more often refer to him as a Blackhawk great.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Barry's three best regular seasons in scoring were in Detroit, his dominant role in his only two cups were in Detroit and his two Lady Byng finalist seasons were in Detroit.

He played a couple of more seasons in Boston, but that's not enough to outweigh his Detroit accomplishments.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Belfour could easily go either way. Yeah, he won two cups in Dallas but he was GREAT in two Chicago conference final runs. His two Vezina trophies were in Chicago and one of his two other Vezina finalist seasons as well. How important was he to Dallas' cup victories? I think one's answer to that might be the deciding factor.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Good stuff VanI.

I'd give Belfour to Dallas; lesser RS, but back-to-back finals, feel his real legacy was crystallized there, and Chicago is already stacked!

How important he was to the Dallas runs? Very important, and pretty sure he was the (Dallas) MVP of the last one despite them losing.I recall Hitchcock saying Belfour took them to the Finals.

Edit: The quote: "I’ve never seen a person so oblivious to what’s going on. If you ever want to see goaltending alone win a playoffs, look at us (Dallas Stars) in 2000. Eddie won two series all by himself . . . our team had nothing left, we were banged up and just done" - Ken Hitchcock, 2011

I say Belfour - Dallas, even if yeah, it's slightly twisting it.But to me Belfour *feels* Dallas just as much as he feels Chicago, maybe even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanIslander

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Recapitulation and adding it to OP unless someone has a major objection:

Clint Benedict - Ottawa
Max Bentley - Chicago
Marty Barry - Detroit
Roy Conacher - Chicago
Sergei Gonchar - Washington
Ed Belfour - Chicago
George Hay - Pre-NHL

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I’m not sure about Belfour and Dallas tbh but I’m fine with any way you want. I had a childhood afinity for his Chicago mask so my opinion might be twisted.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It was the same mask different color.Anyway, either Belfour is Dallas or he's probably out of the game altogether.

We'll wait for others to chime in.I'd rather have him Dallas because it's defendable and he's back into the mix that way, but I don't care strongly either way.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Belfour could easily go either way. Yeah, he won two cups in Dallas but he was GREAT in two Chicago conference final runs. His two Vezina trophies were in Chicago and one of his two other Vezina finalist seasons as well. How important was he to Dallas' cup victories? I think one's answer to that might be the deciding factor.
Belfour won the 99 Cup and went to the 2000 finals in DAL.

He won his Vezina / Jennings awards in CHI, played the most years there and made his reputation there.

As a Dallas fan at the time, he feels more CHI than DAL. He's the starter on my all-Dallas team, but he still feels like "that hired guy who helped us win the Cup," not "our" guy. I'd put the "our guy" label on Marty Turco.

All that said, CHI is already stacked and Belfour has a better chance of making a bigger impact in DAL.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It must be said that the accuracy of our calls have no real importance.It's basically a board game we're setting up for ourselves, and each have their merit and it's hard to predict which is more fun.

Even if we decided Gretzky was with Philadelphia, it wouldn't break the game except aesthetically.

Only important thing is that we make the call prior to the draft.

Reactions: Iceman

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you look at Belfour’s resumes with Chicago and Dallas as 2 separate players we would rank the Chicago player higher and it’s really not close. More seasons, a much better Vezina record, still made a Cup final (although I will agree that he was better in both Cup runs with Dallas).

To be honest it feels like you’re making excuses to make sure Belfour gets included in the draft. If his Dallas career was in Montreal, Boston, or Detroit where would you put him?

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If you look at Belfour’s resumes with Chicago and Dallas as 2 separate players we would rank the Chicago player higher and it’s really not close. More seasons, a much better Vesina record, still made a Cup final (although I will agree that he was better in both Cup runs with Dallas).

To be honest it feels like you’re making excuses to make sure Belfour gets included in the draft. If his Dallas career was in Montreal, Boston, or Detroit where would you put him?

That's pretty much what I'm doing lol

I changed it to Chicago anyway, see the post above yours.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Other names to clarify:

Brad McCrimmon
Babe Pratt
Frank Fredrickson - Pre-NHL
Zigmund Palffy
Mike Peca

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Brad McCrimmon - no idea what to do here
Babe Pratt - Leafs
Frank Fredrickson - Pre-NHL
Zigmund Palffy - Kings over Isles because he made the playoffs with the Kings
Mike Peca - Sabres 100%

I don't think McCrimmon and Palffy are good enough to be picked in a 12 team draft.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's not clear that McCrimmon won't get drafted.He's either Calgary or Philadelphia, two teams with questionable depths, so he might get taken by GMs who locked themselves out of the deep teams.Same with Palffy.

I quickly scanned the Top 300 players in the ATD, and I don't see any other close calls beside those I just mentioned.If you guys see one, speak up.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Looking at my chart now, the draft is going to be different from the last one.The 12th best player of the deepest teams are significantly worst than the top players.

Hope we don't lose any of the magic, meaning I hope it doesn't turn the draft into a more ''normal'' one.We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad