Opinions on Turris

Sick Dangle

Feb 9, 2013
Turris

turris has a nice skill set (great shot, good skating, good passing), is getting stronger (will be harder to knock off the puck, will be physically capable of using his work ethic to fight off defenders and win puck battles), and does not have only average hockey i.q. (my observation here could be a result of him playing with someone he has excellent chemistry with). in my opinion, he's going to be a solid second line center.

to answer your question (with my opinion) hockey crazy, turris should max out around where you said: a 50-60 point center. we won't truly know what he can do until he loses alfie though. alfredsson is still a good player at his age and they have great chemistry. after alfie retires, who knows how turris will do?

If Turris isn't able to masquerade as a first line centre and keep up his current pace (10pts in 11GP) over the next 2 months then the Sens probably won't score enough to make the playoffs. He's going to the net far stronger than last year but hasn't made a habit of it yet. 18 shots in 11 games isn't cutting it for a guy with his release and velocity. I agree with your concern about life after Alfie.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Last season he came in and played like a legitimate #2 centre and without whom the Sens likely would not have made the playoffs.

This year he is playing like a 1B centre and, with the Spezza injury, is keeping the team from falling apart.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
My question is Turris was drafted 3rd overall, do you guys believe that if he plays at a 50-60 points pace, that being drafted that high becomes justified. I believe it was the 2007 draft and not that strong.

There are only maybe a half dozen guys drafted below him who are as good or better. Third overall doesn't look too bad for him.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd appreciate some opinions on Alfredsson as well.

Hockey Crazy, sorry to invade your thread. I figured I shouldn't make another one.

Hes old. He looks old this year. It just looks like "it" is gone IMO. He can still slow down the play, its just like something is missing.

That being said, he is putting up points.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
With Spezza out Turris's production is going to slow down IMO. He gets coverage from the other teams tops lines right now. He's on the PP with Karlsson which is also good for points but I think he's going to have a hard time without Spezza taking the majority of the defensive coverage.

Turris is doing his best and you make some good points, but IMO Turris isn't really impressive and is overrated and overpaid. He should be used as trade bait to get somebody better.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Turris is doing his best and you make some good points, but IMO Turris isn't really impressive and is overrated and overpaid. He should be used as trade bait to get somebody better.

Wait, trade Turris? I really don't understand that reasoning. He's been solid for most of the season - maybe not great lately, but he's been very solid overall. He's better suited as a #2 centre; in my opinion, he's perfect in that role and is unfortunately being stretched a bit too far due to injuries.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010

He's making 1.6m this year...

yoplait

May 4, 2011
i really enjoy Turris as a second line center and think he will be known as a great second line center for years to come..that being said, he is not, and should not be a first line center.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Over rated. Mostly by hfers on this board
He is not creative and moves awkwardly. And i'm not saying he sucks, just a bit overrated here.
Still hoping he improves, but i thought foligno was better in that spot and am not sure now if dacosta would be better too.

Time will tell

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Over rated. Mostly by hfers on this board

If you say so. I don't see many overrating him. Most agree he's a great fit as second line centre, but not suited to top line duties. Fair salary and good production.

It's the people who say he should be traded because he doesn't fit as a #1 centre that baffle me. He's paid as a second line centre because that's what he is. It makes no sense to trade away someone who is a perfect fit for one very important role because he can't be forced temporarily into another role that is vacant due to injury.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I think Turris has stalled and needs to regain his form. But then again with the lack of goal production lately it looks like everyone is stalling.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I think Turris has stalled and needs to regain his form. But then again with the lack of goal production lately it looks like everyone is stalling.

He hasn't stalled he's just facing the top defensive lines.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Yeah yeah I know everyone has an excuse. I don't know why I even bother partaking in these discussions.

No need to say that. You're welcome to have that opinion, and to some extent he definitely has stalled.

However, seeing as his production suddently slipped when he was moved to first line duties, I think it's reasonable to surmise that the link exists.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
He's gotten some chances, not bad considering he's a 2nd liner center playing against top competition as a fill in 1st liner center. Almost scored on a beauty pass by Weircioch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad