Opinions on the game where you know you are in the minority

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
The NHL should have banned composite sticks after the lockout with a similar rule to what the MLB has. Before everyone jumps on me for saying this, Ive played with composite sticks, and yes, I know given the choice you always go for the composite for performance, and they give you a better ROI in terms of hockey/dollar spent than wooden sticks nowadays. Thats not my point

The real issue with composite sticks becoming the standard is that they create safety and cost issues that didnt exist before at the minor hockey level, and they dont actually improve the sport in a meaningful way. Just because my favourite teams second line winger can shoot harder on the radar gun or stickhandle slightly better than the player that was in his place 30 years ago doesnt mean that the games are more entertaining to watch or that they were better played. It just means that the equipment improved. Its not worth it for all of the negatives the change has brought to the sport.

Reactions: 666 and wetcoast

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The NHL should have banned composite sticks after the lockout with a similar rule to what the MLB has. Before everyone jumps on me for saying this, Ive played with composite sticks, and yes, I know given the choice you always go for the composite for performance, and they give you a better ROI in terms of hockey/dollar spent than wooden sticks nowadays. Thats not my point

The real issue with composite sticks becoming the standard is that they create safety and cost issues that didnt exist before at the minor hockey level, and they dont actually improve the sport in a meaningful way. Just because my favourite teams second line winger can shoot harder on the radar gun or stickhandle slightly better than the player that was in his place 30 years ago doesnt mean that the games are more entertaining to watch or that they were better played. It just means that the equipment improved. Its not worth it for all of the negatives the change has brought to the sport.
This doesnt make a ton of sense. For one, metal bars are still used in non-MLB settings, almost exclusively. Two - metal bars are pretty affordable. Three - metal bars dont break.

The reasons for wooden bats in the MLB are nothing like the reasons in the NHL.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Too many upsets can dilute a playoff.

I actually thought that some years with a heavy amount of upsets did more harm than good.

1993/1986, the 2010 East playoffs, and the 2006 West playoffs I thought had a 'Yeah, but' feel at times (Montreal/Philly in 2010 just seemed a little ridiculous. David vs. David just doesn't work as a dynamic when too many Goliaths keep falling

Last edited:
Reactions: Last Gleaming

Say Hey Kid

They met at the crossroads.
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I don't think any center 65-70 pounds lighter than Mario Lemieux could have defended him well.

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
You're right, the NBA playoffs are almost exactly the same length (and at the same time!) as the NHL's. So, this is also way too long. Bettman was always trying to make the NHL into the NBA, so this makes sense.

Except that the NHL's playoffs went to four best of 7s in 86-87 before Bettman was around, so it doesn't.

As for playoff series being drawn out, pretty sure you can thank the changes in the music industry for that one. Acts are more reliant on touring, doing more concerts and dates at rinks are pre-booked and the NHL has to work around them.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Which begs the question. Who historically did the best defending against Mario Lemieux

Was Joel Otto effective in that situation? I heard he was brought in by the Flames specifically to act as a counter to Messier for attributes that would also apply to Lemieux (Size, Power, Skill).

Supposedly there was an Eastern Conference bidding war to get him after Messier was traded to the Rangers, and the Flyers picked him up to perform the same role

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The game is too fast for it's own good. Everyone is an excellent skater, and the game has become a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off on the ice. This can be rectified by having a bigger (i.e., longer) rink, which I know will never happen ($$$).

But more importantly to me, everyone shoots the puck 90+ mph. Because of that, goaltending equipment has become larger (taking up more of the net), and goalies often cannot react in time to make saves. It's all about positioning now. Big goalies. The Haseks, Richters, CuJos, Beezers of the world (i.e., truly acrobatic, reactive, fun goalies) are gone. Goaltending is boring. Also, because everyone shoots so hard and goalies are all about positioning, the winning strategy often is get bodies to the front and bomb shots hoping for tips. It's about volume (hence the Corsi craze), not about skill.

I think hockey would be in a much better place right now if composite sticks were banned (and you could roll back the size of goalie equipment). Maybe even make the nets slightly bigger (which I never thought I would entertain in a million years).

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Which begs the question. Who historically did the best defending against Mario Lemieux

Too many upsets can dilute a playoff.

I actually thought that some years with a heavy amount of upsets did more harm than good.

1993/1986, the 2010 East playoffs, and the 2006 West playoffs I thought had a 'Yeah, but' feel at times (Montreal/Philly in 2010 just seemed a little ridiculous. David vs. David just doesn't work as a dynamic when too many Goliaths keep falling

I agree with this in a way. 1993 was still a great postseason because there were so many storylines to use. So even with the upsets it was still great. But yeah, 2006 was not a memorable postseason and 1986 did have that letdown with not seeing the Oilers three-peat.

2010, can you imagine Pittsburgh vs. Chicago? We were so close multiple times to seeing a Cup final between these two. I really wanted another Pittsburgh/Washington series in 2010. After 2009 we waited 7 years to get that again.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I agree with this in a way. 1993 was still a great postseason because there were so many storylines to use. So even with the upsets it was still great. But yeah, 2006 was not a memorable postseason and 1986 did have that letdown with not seeing the Oilers three-peat.

2010, can you imagine Pittsburgh vs. Chicago? We were so close multiple times to seeing a Cup final between these two. I really wanted another Pittsburgh/Washington series in 2010. After 2009 we waited 7 years to get that again.

2010 at least did have a decent Cup Final with Philly vs. Chicago. I mean, the Flyers didn't play as poorly in defeat as what happened in the next year's SCF

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014

Everyone remembers Belarus beating Sweden, but how epic would have been an "on track" Canada trying to avenge its opening night loss to Sweden in 2002? Would have been a much better semi-final than we saw, that's for sure.

Your theory is why I often feel like the NHL playoffs can get worse as they go where as the NBA's get more interesting.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Your theory is why I often feel like the NHL playoffs can get worse as they go where as the NBA's get more interesting.

I think there's another reason for this as well.

Players seem to be shot out a cannon to start the playoffs. In the first two rounds the speed and skill seems so much higher than the last two rounds. I think the grind of the seasons starts to be felt and the players are feeling the effects of the phyiscallity of the playoffs.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think there's another reason for this as well.

Players seem to be shot out a cannon to start the playoffs. In the first two rounds the speed and skill seems so much higher than the last two rounds. I think the grind of the seasons starts to be felt and the players are feeling the effects of the phyiscallity of the playoffs.
That's right, which is another reason the playoffs should be shorter. Or at least the first couple of rounds should be.

I don't like the NHL playoffs being essentially a competition to avoid attrition. I'd rather the best teams won more regularly.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I don't like the NHL playoffs being essentially a competition to avoid attrition. I'd rather the best teams won more regularly.
It's been awhile since someone actually "won" the Cup. It's more like a dance marathon where the last couple standing is declared the winner after everyone else has basically tapped out. And so much is reliant on health and luck. Other than the Penguins without Letang in 2017, in recent memory the winner has just been the team who has avoided injuries the best. Seeding is basically irrelevant. The regular season is an just an IN/OUT exercise. They should actually go 2-2-3 to make home ice and better record a real factor. Also, a straight 1-8 seed is needed.

My Best-Carey

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
-I don't care that much for Doc Emrick. He's very knowledgeable about the game, but his style grows tiresome for me.

-I agree with those who said full face masks should be mandatory.

-Maybe only play the national anthem of the country where the game is played.

-Hate on-ice challenges and the endless replays, live with the call that's made on the ice.

-Bring back the two-line pass

-Wooden sticks should be mandatory along with smaller goalie equipment.

-Hockey Night in Canada has been awful for years now. It was outstanding in the 90s and early 2000s, but Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson seem so dull to me, Don Cherry & Ron MacLean have been doing this WAY too long now and it shows, and the production value has gone WAY down. Also, I miss the HNIC theme song.

-I've always loved Bob Cole

-Change the 7-game home-ice playoff format to a 2-3-2 like the MLB, rather than 2-2-1-1-1

Last edited:

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
They should actually go 2-2-3 to make home ice and better record a real factor. Also, a straight 1-8 seed is needed.

My Best-Carey

The real problem, is that home ice barely means anything anymore. I don't think that's necessarily a minority opinion, but rather one that doesn't get stated: the home team doesn't win as much as it should, and that's bad.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
- While I think the goal in 2004 did go in, it doesn't matter. It's still on us for not coming to play in game 7.

- I wish fighting would be gone entirely. If I wanted to watch a fist fight, I'd watch MMA or boxing. I want to see hockey.

- I like not having NHLers at the Olympics. They get paid too much for me to want to see the season compacted and disrupted, and risk more injuries. I thought it was cool seeing a bunch of players get a chance they never would get otherwise.

- I think 82 games is too long a season, especially when literally half the league makes the playoffs. I'd rather see around 70 games, and eliminate back to backs and have a more consistent schedule league wide if possible.

Reactions: Giuseppe Franco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad